High pitch playbar noise

Hi there, just installed my new playbar. When not emitting music / sound (so when it is powered on but idle) the playbar is emitting a high pitch noise. It's just about audible - but as it is so high in pitch it is very annoying and means I have to turn the power off. What can I do.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

Thomasl72,

Have you done what MaxP posted above, i.e posted a diagnostic? Once you do that, and they look at that, you're much more likely to get a message like his "contact our customer care team" post regarding a replacement, if it's needed. But it's possible that it's not, depending on what data is in the diagnostic.
I have the same problem.Mine is 3 years old. it has not been powered on for 2 months due to house restoration. Now when I start all SONOS stuff my playbar has this noise described above.
Anything that helped?

I have tried to move it, removed the spdif.
Here is my diagnostics: 6810035
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have the same problem.Mine is 3 years old. it has not been powered on for 2 months due to house restoration. Now when I start all SONOS stuff my playbar has this noise described above.
Anything that helped?

Hi, I have reviewed your diagnostic. Can you unpair the PLAY:3s from the PLAYBAR and try again. Let us know if you still hear the noise.
Anything that helped?

Hi, I have reviewed your diagnostic. Can you unpair the PLAY:3s from the PLAYBAR and try again. Let us know if you still hear the noise.

Hi, I actually did a unpair before I sent the diagnostics. But to be sure I have done a factory reset of the playbar and sent a new diag 6811085.
Still the same noise
Thanks Thomas
Hi,
Have you had the time to look at My latest diag? 6811085
Still the same problem.
Regards
Thomas
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi thomasl72, thanks for sending us that diagnostic. I've set up a support ticket on our system, reference 161206-001485. I've emailed you on the address you signed up to the forums with. We'll need to get a bit more information from you to get this sorted out. Please reply to my email and post here if you do not receive it.
Badge
Hello. I'm having the same issue. Quiet high pitched squeal emitting from the left side of my Playbar. I'm in Adelaide Australia. My diagnostic code is 6922963.

I'm absolutely loving my Sonos rig and my entire house is now full of them, hoping I can get the Playbar to operate at the same high standard as the rest of the gear.
I installed my playbar 7 months ago - and did not use it for 2 months (at my scond home) now it make this high picth playbar noise - really irritaitng. and goign to return the play bar if no solution. diagnostic 6964199
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello. I'm having the same issue. Quiet high pitched squeal emitting from the left side of my Playbar. I'm in Adelaide Australia. My diagnostic code is 6922963.

I'm absolutely loving my Sonos rig and my entire house is now full of them, hoping I can get the Playbar to operate at the same high standard as the rest of the gear.

Hi Nick, I've made a support case for you in our ticketing system to allow us to get this sorted out for you. You have the case reference 170105-000587. I made this with the email address associated with your Sonos community account. You'll have an email from myself at that address, just reply to it with the information we need.

I installed my playbar 7 months ago - and did not use it for 2 months (at my scond home) now it make this high picth playbar noise - really irritaitng. and goign to return the play bar if no solution. diagnostic 6964199

Hey janjensen, I've done the same thing for you. Your case reference is 170105-000591. Again, just send me a reply to the email.
Just got back home from overseas and guess what sound I hear?

Very disappointed after such a short period of ownership.

The squealing alien noise seems to change pitch from time to time. Cutting power to he play bar stops the noise, and moving the play bar to another room away from other devices doesn't help.

Diagnostic 6998028.
I've just joined the high pitch noise club. Straight out of the box whilst playing music, TV sound or on standby. Still there with every other device in my living room switched off. Guessing it's a fault with the playbar as my play 1 speakers are dead silent on standby.

Query submitted Question Reference #170223-001975
Diagnostic number 7131828

But reading the forum it sounds like it might be going back for a replacement.
I just bought the PlayBar yesterday and have the same problem, a high pitched whine from the left hand side. Diagnostic 7191339. I think I'll return it to the retailer for a replacement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just bought the PlayBar yesterday and have the same problem, a high pitched whine from the left hand side. Diagnostic 7191339. I think I'll return it to the retailer for a replacement.

Hi, looks like you've already gotten your replacement, let us know if you have any trouble with it. For cases like this, you're always welcome to give us a call on our support line to confirm, but odds are the unit needs to be replaced. We're always happy to take a look for you.
I bought the new Sonos "playbase" and every time I turn on my television the first time in the day or play music after a few hours (essentially if the Sonos playbase is in sleep mode), I get very loud screechy sounds. The only way this gets solved is by disconnecting the speaker from the power outlet for a while and rebooting it.

This is a new installation. Diagnostic number 7302556.

It just happened again. I tried playing music on it after 4 hours approximately from my phone this time and not the TV and it started giving large amounts of static along with the music. I sent another diagnostics report while this was occurring - report number 7303950. The problem goes away if I unplug the speaker and plug it back in.

I have been trying to call support but not getting anyone on the phone.
Hi Aroosh

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for submitting the diagnostics

A couple of questions :

What is the make and model of the TV you have the Playbase connected to?

If you have another source of TV with an optical output ( Apple TV, Games Console, Cable Box etc) could you connect the Playbase directly to the source and bypass the TV and see if the issue still occurs?

There is a fair amount of wireless interference in your environment, but this shouldn't cause any artifacts in the sound, it could cause the sound to drop out, but not produce any abnormal sounds.

Do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks
Hi I have a low volume high pitched sound emitted from my PlayBar. I've followed all the guidance on this blog and would appreciate you assistance on diagnostics 7480338
Hi I have a low volume high pitched sound emitted from my PlayBar. I've followed all the guidance on this blog and would appreciate you assistance on diagnostics 7480338
If you don't get a timely response here, I suggest you phone Sonos Support. Your PLAYBAR has a hardware fault.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi gnewman,

I have created a support ticket for you to investigate this issue. Please give us a call as soon as possible to get this resolved. Please give the technician the reference number 170616-000305.
Like many other folks here, my playbar also has this high pitch noise on idle mode. Tried everything that has been stated in the pages. Please advise team! Diagnostics number 7576810. I've also been on hold waiting for someone to answer for almost 30 minutes now.

Update* - Will be getting a replacement. Thanks Sonos! Hope this gets fixed!
This is the High pitch rogue 😞 tried to find a new switch mode transformer/spool, easy to find with stethoscope 🙂
Just finished talking with Mike W. at Sonos Customer Service re: high pitched sound coming from my Gen 1 Play 5.
After sending in diagnostics code, factory reset and then an hour on the phone (confirming serial number, etc) I am being told that only option is to pay another $250 and exchange my Gen 1 Play 5 for a Gen 2 Play 5....meaning I am into my Play 5 now for $750...ridiculous! Unit is 3 years old....Quality audio gear is supposed to last longer than that. I understand warranty is past and have no problem having item repaired or replaced at a "nominal" cost due to this hardware defect.....$250 in not nominal.

I was also told that it is mandatory I send in my Gen 1 Play 5 so it can be reconditioned (and sold again?)...or else my credit card will be charged an additional $500 (on top of the $250 exchange offer)

Not happy about this. I have 3 Play 1's, a Connect and Play 5 with plans to buy more for our pool area and other rooms....not any more.
Also calling BBB and local consumer fraud TV/radio/paper....this manufacture trying to get out of repairing/replacing a $5 hardware defect and capitalize on existing Sonos customers. (saving this post to show fraud alerts incase Sonos deletes from thread)
Having the same issue. Sonos support I have checked all software up to date. Have unplugged all Ethernet cables and optical cables. Rebooted the device. Unplugged the tv and same issue.

Diagnostics number 7779937
Picture of devices near by. Buzz even when they turned off.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am being told that only option is to pay another $250 and exchange my Gen 1 Play 5 for a Gen 2 Play 5....meaning I am into my Play 5 now for $750...ridiculous!
Nope, you're either in $500 for a Play 5 that worked for 3 years, or you're in $750 for 2x Play 5s.

I understand warranty is past and have no problem having item repaired or replaced at a "nominal" cost due to this hardware defect.....$250 in not nominal.

You say you understand, but nothing else in this post suggests you do...

I was also told that it is mandatory I send in my Gen 1 Play 5 so it can be reconditioned (and sold again?)...or else my credit card will be charged an additional $500 (on top of the $250 exchange offer)

This is what's called an "offer". Sonos is willing to give you a 2nd Gen Play5 for half price, but they are going to want the old one back. Why? Oh dear, so many reasons. The least of which is to ensure that people wouldn't exploit these offers to simply acquire half price gear. This is also why you'll be charged if you don't return it.

I'll add that it's very much standard to expect to return equipment, yes even broken, when receiving special replacement offers.

Also calling BBB and local consumer fraud TV/radio/paper.

Hopefully, they won't laugh at you for your frivolous contact. Companies have no obligation to do nice things for you outside the warranty period. Even so, in this situation, Sonos actually has made you an offer!

...this manufacture trying to get out of repairing/replacing a $5 hardware defect

This manufacturer is offering you a special discount to replace an out of warranty fault. You're just being petulant.

Sorry to everyone else if this reads a little harsh. As someone who used to work retail, I've used up my life's supply of patience for people who throw tantrums when they don't get exactly what they want.

The offer this person received was reasonable. The failure after 3 years is unfortunate, but sometimes equipment will fail. If he showed the same kind of attitude when talking with support I'm surprised they offered anything.
My Playbar has started making this high pitched whining noise constantly in the background now. I've tried factory resetting, turning off the indicator light and turning off everything around it but it's still there like tinitus unless I turn off the Playbar power.

Is there a fix for this? I have created a diagnostics report with the reference 8048071 in case this helps