High pitch playbar noise

Hi there, just installed my new playbar. When not emitting music / sound (so when it is powered on but idle) the playbar is emitting a high pitch noise. It's just about audible - but as it is so high in pitch it is very annoying and means I have to turn the power off. What can I do.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

I've also got the high pitched noise from my Playbar as described by others here. Diagnostics number is 4539324. It's so annoying that we're simply not using it.
I've also got the high pitched noise from my Playbar as described by others here. Diagnostics number is 4539324. It's so annoying that we're simply not using it.
I left it on for several hours and it still makes the noise. Created another diagnostic in case it helps: 4539842
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello josteinaj,

I'd recommend that you call into our support line so that we can take a deeper look at the issue. It may point to an issue with the unit itself but we'll want to rule out other potential contributing factors such as interference or signal issues. 
I called support today and after some troubleshooting we agreed that I would return the playbar and receive a replacement free of charge. Very friendly and helpful support line, thanks for the help! Hopefully the replacement will be without this defect.
I have had my playbar for a long time, but over the last 3 weeks I now have a high pitched sound coming from the unit. Have powered down and reset, but still same sound. Very like Tinitus
Hey all, I seem to be having the same issue - diagnostic : 4629345
I've the same problem myself, I received the PlayBar Friday and have had the same issue after switching my Television off at night...actually noticed this evening that if I have TV volume low enough you can still hear the whistling/buzzing.
Ok, here's what I've tried to fix this issue with no success: I've done a factory reset. I've unplugged all cables apart from the power. I've put the soundbar in a different room without any other electronic devices with just the power lead. In all situations I get the high pitch whine. Do I just need to take it back to the store and switch it for another one? Is there anything else I can try? Cheers
Hey Mohammed. I'm actually in Australia, do you have an Australian help number?
I contacted support and spoke with a technician today, unfortunately all troubleshooting was unsuccessfull, so It's down to getting a replacement. Great customer service, very helpful....
I just installed my new playbar and have the same static sound coming from it. Tried to switch off all other appliances to see whats causing it but the hisss does not go away. Ran a diagnostic 4636612
I just installed my new playbar and have the same static sound coming from it. Tried to switch off all other appliances to see whats causing it but the hisss does not go away. Ran a diagnostic 4636612
Also in australia 🙂
After my discussion and troubleshooting with technical I received my replacement item today.....which has exactly the same issue as the first one. It too shall now be getting returned along with the original and the subwoofer. I've now lost faith in this product , as an electrician I've checked all possible avenues with regards to interference and such that may be causing this issue, and have found nothing.

In a room on its own with only the power lead attached it has this annoying whistling/buzzing sound coming from the right hand side speaker

Hopefully SONOS start looking into this more, as it could be a great product other than this very annoying issue affecting some customers.

Good luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
After my discussion and troubleshooting with technical I received my replacement item today.....which has exactly the same issue as the first one. It too shall now be getting returned along with the original and the subwoofer. I've now lost faith in this product , as an electrician I've checked all possible avenues with regards to interference and such that may be causing this issue, and have found nothing.

In a room on its own with only the power lead attached it has this annoying whistling/buzzing sound coming from the right hand side speaker

Hopefully SONOS start looking into this more, as it could be a great product other than this very annoying issue affecting some customers.

Good luck

We'd definitely like to take closer look into this with you. If you haven't sent back those PLAYBARs yet, would you be able to hold on for an extra day first?

I've gone ahead and updated the right team and they'll be reaching out to you shortly to setup a call if you'll be available. 
Sure no problem, I had them packaged up ready for pick up tomorrow but I've just unpacked it again...would really love a solution but I'm at a loss I'm afraid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sure no problem, I had them packaged up ready for pick up tomorrow but I've just unpacked it again...would really love a solution but I'm at a loss I'm afraid.
Great, thanks Kevin. Do you mind sending the serial number for the replacement one in reply to that email ticket you have opened? We'd like to look into that one as well but it isn't liked with your account yet.
I've just linked it to my account now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It looks like the first one was just reregistered, that serial number ends in 74:25:E. Did you add the other as well?
Apologies, I hadn't bothered registering the second one due to it making the same noise as soon as I powered it up....I must have mixed them up when packaging them...I 've just registered it now for you....noise so far appears to be gone although was making it as soon as I plugged it in again.
Edit....noise is back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update. I'll add it to the notes here for you. 
Thank-you....also sent the serial number via the open ticket.
Hi all, After 5 days of noticing the high pitch sound getting quieter I'm happy to inform you that it seems to have gone. I'm not sure if this was 'bedding in' as some other customers have described or something else. For those who are interested in how I've used the soundbar: - it's been powered on for the full 5 days - I've played music and TV at different volumes, sometimes very loudly and others and a low volume - it's has 2 satellite Play:1's (I'm not sure how that would make a difference) I'll keep my eye (or ear) on it over the coming days and report back if I notice any difference.
Userlevel 1
I've just plugged in my new playbar and was very, very disappointed with the terrible high-pitch noise coming from it.
Even MORE disappointed to find out this is apparently a KNOWN issue, and still this unit was sold to me as being "high-end" top-of-the-line. Currently it's basically useless.

Diagnostic confirmation number 4869251
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi NL_Stijn,

We've seen some PLAYBARs with a high pitched whines, though it's quite uncommon, they do pop up from time to time. In most cases it's a hardware issue with the unit which we'll help with. I'd recommend giving us a call on our support line to get that unit sorted out quickest. You can find our contact information and hours here: http://www.sonos.com/contact