High pitch playbar noise

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

Sure no problem, I had them packaged up ready for pick up tomorrow but I've just unpacked it again...would really love a solution but I'm at a loss I'm afraid.
Edit....noise is back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update. I'll add it to the notes here for you. 
Sure no problem, I had them packaged up ready for pick up tomorrow but I've just unpacked it again...would really love a solution but I'm at a loss I'm afraid.
Thank-you....also sent the serial number via the open ticket.
Hey all, I seem to be having the same issue - diagnostic : 4629345
Hi all, After 5 days of noticing the high pitch sound getting quieter I'm happy to inform you that it seems to have gone. I'm not sure if this was 'bedding in' as some other customers have described or something else. For those who are interested in how I've used the soundbar: - it's been powered on for the full 5 days - I've played music and TV at different volumes, sometimes very loudly and others and a low volume - it's has 2 satellite Play:1's (I'm not sure how that would make a difference) I'll keep my eye (or ear) on it over the coming days and report back if I notice any difference.
Userlevel 1
I've just plugged in my new playbar and was very, very disappointed with the terrible high-pitch noise coming from it.
Even MORE disappointed to find out this is apparently a KNOWN issue, and still this unit was sold to me as being "high-end" top-of-the-line. Currently it's basically useless.

Diagnostic confirmation number 4869251
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi NL_Stijn,

We've seen some PLAYBARs with a high pitched whines, though it's quite uncommon, they do pop up from time to time. In most cases it's a hardware issue with the unit which we'll help with. I'd recommend giving us a call on our support line to get that unit sorted out quickest. You can find our contact information and hours here: http://www.sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had exactly the same thing with mine. I messed about with it for a bit, did a factory reset, left it blasting music for a couple of hours etc, but it was obviously a hardware fault.

Took it back to the store the next day and they swapped it for a new one, which is fine. I mentioned I'd Googled it and that it seemed to be a known issue, but they said it was the first one they'd had returned with the problem.
Hi, I bought SoundBar and it makes a high pitch noise continuosly, Please advice. Thanks
Add me to this list. I went out yesteray looking to replace my 'non-subbing' Samsung sound bar with a Bose Cinemate. However after being 'persuaded' in-store to consider a Sonos, (I had been considering moving 'up' to Sonos eventually anyway) took the plunge and decided on a Playbar AND Sub.

Saturday night, everything was rosey even to the point that the Sonos Twitter feed favourited my .... Wowser! Tweet. Come Sunday morning however and I thought I'd developed tinitus. Oh no it's coming from my new sound bar. No other hardware close enough to cause issue, lets have a look on the Sonos support site, low and behold type in 'high pitched' into the search bar and 30 threads returned.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I've already been in touch with the retailer (Hughes TV and Audio) and they are supplying a replacement bar when my Play 1's are delivered on Wednesday, so fair play to them.

Watch this space.
Add me to the list - I am very disappointed in Sonos as searching on Google brings back HUNDREDS of posts about this issue on the Sonos website dating back 3 years.

Thankfully I have purchased from a good retailer who will happily swap at y convenience, but I have to wonder now whether to swap for something else or keep the Sonos.

Seeing so many issues does make you wonder about quality....

Yeah I feel the same way about humans every time I go to a hospital...

I don't mean to be rude but that's a daft thing to say, Sonos are making MILLIONS of speakers every year, it is impossible for every single one to come out of the factory absolutely faultless. You were unlucky, it happens, no point being so dramatic about it, take it back, get another one, make sure they test it first.

I don't mean to be rude but that's a daft thing to say, Sonos are making MILLIONS of speakers every year, it is impossible for every single one to come out of the factory absolutely faultless. You were unlucky, it happens, no point being so dramatic about it, take it back, get another one, make sure they test it first.

You don't like it when people have a negative experience with Sonos do you?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fanboyism

You're quite right, that's why I spend so much time here trying to help people with problems. What I really don't like is when people come here just to complain, which is what you've done. You already know this is a known problem and you've already know what the answer is, you said yourself you'll have to take it back and get it exchanged. There really isn't anything else to be said, so don't try and make out that Sonos is somehow some shoddy piece of crap, go buy an LG's competitor if you want to see what really unreliable gear is, or try listening to the BBC's new HLS radio streams on a Denon competitor (Denon have already stated they're never going to support it, Sonos have spent the last year working on the issue).

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY provides the level of support that Sonos does, I've been an owner for longer than I can remember and every one of my units is still working flawlessly and have done from day one and are still receiving regular updates provided all the latest features, I have NEVER had a problem (granted I'm lucky, I don't live in a crowded wi-fi environment, which surely helps), so you think I'm a fanboy? Abso-damn-lutely I am. There' s only three things I'm fanatical about, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Pop Will Eat Itself and Sonos. That's it, that's how good they are, something I know from personal experience.

But I recognise the issues, as it happens, I'm not a great fan of the Playbar, if you want a simple TV speaker replacement that also plays music then it's fine but I'd never recommend it for anyone serious about their home theatre, it's too compromised for that. But badly built? Never, that's an accusation you just cannot level against Sonos.

You're quite right, that's why I spend so much time here trying to help people with problems. What I really don't like is when people come here just to complain, which is what you've done. You already know this is a known problem and you've already know what the answer is, you said yourself you'll have to take it back and get it exchanged. There really isn't anything else to be said, so don't try and make out that Sonos is somehow some shoddy piece of crap, go buy an LG's competitor if you want to see what really unreliable gear is, or try listening to the BBC's new HLS radio streams on a Denon competitor (Denon have already stated they're never going to support it, Sonos have spent the last year working on the issue).

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY provides the level of support that Sonos does, I've been an owner for longer than I can remember and every one of my units is still working flawlessly and have done from day one and are still receiving regular updates provided all the latest features, I have NEVER had a problem (granted I'm lucky, I don't live in a crowded wi-fi environment, which surely helps), so you think I'm a fanboy? Abso-damn-lutely I am. There' s only three things I'm fanatical about, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Pop Will Eat Itself and Sonos. That's it, that's how good they are, something I know from personal experience.

But I recognise the issues, as it happens, I'm not a great fan of the Playbar, if you want a simple TV speaker replacement that also plays music then it's fine but I'd never recommend it for anyone serious about their home theatre, it's too compromised for that. But badly built? Never, that's an accusation you just cannot level against Sonos.

Well of course I dissagree; the forum if a place for people to provide feedback for other users, potential buyers and the Sonos team. It's a community and that takes participation from all sides.

Posting a "+1 I have this issue too§" isn't complaining for the sake of complaining, how else would Sonos know there is an issue shared by say a hundred people if nobody shared their issues? This is not a one off fault, it's recurring. I would very much doubt anyone from Sonos would tell people to stop complaining and just return the unit and to suggest as much is far from helpful from yourself.

As far as the playbar goes, I think most savvy users accept that a soundbar is a compromise on sound quality vs a dedicated home theatre setup; just like sonos speakers are won't ever stand up to a dedicated HIFI system. My Naim Muso (at a fraction of the cost of my player + sub) outputs far superior sound, but it doesn't have the convenience for me and that's half the attraction.

PS: Berating Denon for not supporting HLS is like berating Sonos for advertising a home theatre system that doesn't support DTS.
I bought a playbar in Dubai that was having this same issue. I tried to take it back to the store but it had a scratch and a torn speaker cover (accident) so they tried to blame the issue on me. I was stuck with it so I opened it up to see what the issue was.

It turns out that some yellow and black thing on the board to the right of the power plug if looking from the back is faulty. This is the source of the buzzing. Since I'm not an electrician or engineer I have no idea what this thing is but it's labeled 182-00032, DXTPQ3230-161.

When I moved it around with my hand the buzzing stopped so I am guessing that it's just not connected properly. However I ended up shocking myself (which doesn't feel good at 220v) so I stopped fooling with it.

It's a pity I'm out $1k (cost here) since I spent $6k on sonos stuff for my house. If sonos was nice they would let me send back this opened unit to them and ship me a new one. They should enforce better quality control with their manufacturing partner because this is definitely just a quality issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you call Sonos to have fixed? I can see a store not taking the return but Sonos itself knows the difference in issues.
I bought a playbar in Dubai that was having this same issue. I tried to take it back to the store but it had a scratch and a torn speaker cover (accident) so they tried to blame the issue on me. I was stuck with it so I opened it up to see what the issue was.

It turns out that some yellow and black thing on the board to the right of the power plug if looking from the back is faulty. This is the source of the buzzing. Since I'm not an electrician or engineer I have no idea what this thing is but it's labeled 182-00032, DXTPQ3230-161.

When I moved it around with my hand the buzzing stopped so I am guessing that it's just not connected properly. However I ended up shocking myself (which doesn't feel good at 220v) so I stopped fooling with it.

It's a pity I'm out $1k (cost here) since I spent $6k on sonos stuff for my house. If sonos was nice they would let me send back this opened unit to them and ship me a new one. They should enforce better quality control with their manufacturing partner because this is definitely just a quality issue.

Was your's a buzzing or a high pitch whistle? Most all of the issues I have read originate from the left if looking at the unit face on which seems to fit with what you're saying.
Super high pitched sound, extremely annoying and a bit painful on the ears. High pitched whistle I guess is a good way to describe it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I can't stress this enough, it is extremely dangerous to be touching any internals of electronic devices when they're plugged into the power. Even when not plugged in, some parts will remain charged for a good amount of time, with enough voltage to hurt you. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, please do not try to fix anything of this sort on your own.

If you have any trouble with a Sonos component that you suspect it to be hardware related, please give us a call and speak with a technician. They can help with a replacement if needed and available. However, opening a Sonos component will completely void the warranty of that product. It's best all around, and safest, to leave players intact. You can reach our support through our contact information and hours listed here: http://www.sonos.com/contact.
Morning everyone!
I've had two play 1's for twelve months now but always wanted to get myself a playbar. Ordered last week and set it up. ...wow. incredible sound especially with the surrounds. So pleased with it.
I noticed the high pitched noise that people have been mentioned. I did everything that had been suggested but to no avail. However, the last 24 hours it has randomly stopped.
I'm now a bit unsure as to what I should do. I'm concerned it's an intermittent fault and the last thing I want is to be 2 + years down the line and it occurs again and it's out of warranty. Any advice? Should I return it now or have it always in the back of my mind it may start up again?
Greg
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Morning everyone!
I've had two play 1's for twelve months now but always wanted to get myself a playbar. Ordered last week and set it up. ...wow. incredible sound especially with the surrounds. So pleased with it.
I noticed the high pitched noise that people have been mentioned. I did everything that had been suggested but to no avail. However, the last 24 hours it has randomly stopped.
I'm now a bit unsure as to what I should do. I'm concerned it's an intermittent fault and the last thing I want is to be 2 + years down the line and it occurs again and it's out of warranty. Any advice? Should I return it now or have it always in the back of my mind it may start up again?
Greg

Call support - I suggest you need a replacment
cheers Stuart, ill do just that. replacement and peace of mind sounds like the best option to me...
Well I did say watch this space ... (just didn't expect to leaving you staring for so long).

Anyway, my retailer turned up with replacement PlayBar and my new Play 1's on the day requested. Plugged everything in went through the various set up procedures and since that moment I've not had a single or solitary whistle.

To make things even better I attended a Sonos Play 5 pre-relaese demonstration event at my local retailer a week or so after the purchase of my Playbar and one lucky attendee would win a Play 1, sure enough lucky person was me. One Play 1 in the kitchen is good, so would be better so I went out and got it's pair.

Since then I have been blissfully happy with the performance of all my units and would happily recommend Sonos to anyone.
My Playbar had this noise immediately after plugging it in for the first time. I was a bit disappointed but took it straight back to the retailers and got a new one the same day - problem solved. Now I'm a happy bunny!
Hi there. I have just set up my new Sonos playbar, sub and x2 play 1s. I'm getting the same high pitch frequency noise as everyone else here. I go to run diagnostics but it ask for someone from Sonos to request them before I do so. Will running the diagnostics actually solve the issue or am I likely to need to return it back to John Lewis?
Thanks. Nick.