Question

Hi, wanted to ship this to india, but couldn't find it in the list of countries you ship to. Kindly advise, Thanks.

Wanted to buy this for home, however it seems that this doesn't ship to india.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Kritarth, you're best bet is to refer to our online store locator. If you enter your location it will list the nearest retailers as well as their contact details. There's even an advanced filter allowing you to search for specific Sonos products.
Badge
I've been looking for options to expand my current Sonos Play:1 stereo and add either a sub or a sound bar, but too bad there are no retailers in India, listed on your site as yet! Amazon.in has a few sellers for products at twice the listed price here!
Any suggestions?
Keep checking Amazon US/UK. Occasionally you will find India shipments happening there. The other alternative is to be friends with someone coming to India from the US.
I'd find it difficult to fit either a sub or a soundbar in my luggage when I travel to Bengaluru. The size of those two devices is significant.
Yes, the Sub would call for a really good friend! But I was very lucky that all my 5 zone kit, bought on Amazon US from 2011 to 2014 was shipped to India. I was very impressed with the logistics - using normal delivery, click to door delivery time was 10 days, on an average, with tracking showed all shipments originating in the US. I paid 1.35 times the Amazon US price; considering that the Indian customs duty is about 28%, I thought that was excellent value.
Prices on Amazon India are ridiculous - twice as much.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes, the Sub would call for a really good friend! But I was very lucky that all my 5 zone kit, bought on Amazon US from 2011 to 2014 was shipped to India. I was very impressed with the logistics - using normal delivery, click to door delivery time was 10 days, on an average, with tracking showed all shipments originating in the US. I paid 1.35 times the Amazon US price; considering that the Indian customs duty is about 28%, I thought that was excellent value.
Prices on Amazon India are ridiculous - twice as much.

Interestingly I bought my Sub on Amazon UK at £50 off and the Playbar on Amazon Spain without paying for shipping at the list price. I am based in HK so there was no import duty. But given that prices are moving north in UK and the Sub weighs like an adult sheep it was a fantastic deal. I saved $750/- over the street prices here. I bet those are still selling.

Just wondering about the warranty. We don't have Sonos support offices in HK so not sure what I would do if the hardware went bust.
From 2011 to 2014 I put together a 5 zone Sonos set up at home; the only units i have not bought are the play bar, the 3 and the new 5. No failures of any kind from any units till today, other than twice from the flat white ethernet cable that comes free in the box. I do have all the kit running via an online UPS though, to insulate it completely from the rubbish that can come down the mains power in India at times.

Warranty would be nice but not essential in this case is my conclusion.
So does the power adapter coming from US work in India?
Just for running a single Sonos 5 speaker in India, which online UPS would you recommend?

What watt/volt-amperes should I look at?
US plugs usually work; adapters for Indian home sockets that don't work well with these, are available everywhere in India.

The smallest available online UPS would more than comfortably cover the needs of one 5, with lots to spare - I have not seen any below 800 VA in India. Something like this if you can get hold of it is more than enough: https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BE350G/dp/B001985SWW

But I am not sure that even this one is Online, that yields a pure sine wave output that is recommended for audio kit.
For a single speaker application, a better option would be a good quality bluetooth speaker with a built in battery. Unless you lose mains power for more than ten hours, no worries.
Actually I would like to build it up by adding more Sonos Play 5 later.

Why is it that an online UPS is being recommended? Also why pure sine wave output would be recommended?

Will your suggestion of using the 350 VA UPS still hold good if I pair up one more play 5?
Yes, it would be ample; pure sine wave is recommended to be the best suited for all kinds of power supplies in audio kit; I have no idea if the 5 units have power supplies that can tolerate stepped sine wave output, and I have not tried it with that kind.

I believe that it takes an Online UPS to deliver pure sine wave, but I could be wrong.
I did a bit of search on Amazon India and found out this:
https://www.amazon.in/APC-Online-1000VA-Battery-SRC1KI/dp/B01LY9CAMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514110514&sr=8-1&keywords=APC+SRC1KI-IN+UPS

I couldn't find an online UPS (producing pure sine wave) at a lower cost.
Are all the online units priced likewise or am I missing something?
There will be cheaper ones than APC, but not by a whole lot if you want some quality. The problem is oversizing - 1000 VA for 2 Sonos speakers is a massive massive overkill. Even 250 VA should be ample for 2.

I have a 3 KVA online at home, but it supports everything in use except A/Cs, water heaters and refrigerators. Expensive, but some of the cost is repaid in extending equipment life. And convenience of always on pays for the rest.
It begs the question: Why Sonos? With a USD 1000 budget - and closer to USD 1300 if you will pay duties - for 2 speakers, there are many options that are battery + mains powered, that deliver very good results.
Can you recommend something great?

I have a 3 KVA online at home, but it supports everything in use except A/Cs, water heaters and refrigerators. Expensive, but some of the cost is repaid in extending equipment life. And convenience of always on pays for the rest.

Did you mean an inverter with external battery?

In Amazon India I have seen that most of the models listed as UPS have an external battery. They usually have much more power back up (2-3 hours usually for lights, fans, other electrical equipments).

In Amazon US, all the models have inbuilt batteries but unfortunately they do not ship to India.
An example of such an UPS (or inverter?) in Amazon India:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B009Y4BSAE?psc=1

Coupled with a decent battery the cost would come to about 18000INR.(280 US dollars).

Are you talking about similar products? I am very confused, indeed.
Where the battery is located is relevant only for the back up time available. I have a DG set back up, so my UPS needs just a battery capacity of 10 minutes to support the switchover interval of 2-3 minutes and to deliver exactly 230V50Hz, 24/7. So a built in battery is enough for this application. Extended back up time needs external batteries.

I also see this for a much lower price!: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B009Y4BSAE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

I do not suggest buying this online, but from a reputed dealer in your city because you need to make sure you are getting just what is needed for the right price. So, some consultation may be needed.
Can you recommend something great?
One of many possibilities: https://www.amazon.com/Vifa-Helsinki-Hi-Resolution-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B01B8FO2UE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514125162&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=vifa&psc=1