Here we go!

• 12 February 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge
After literally years of wanting - I've finally pulled the trigger on a Sonos setup. I'm going BTTW here and just getting the entire thing in one go. I'm replacing a Bose CineMate 1SR with the wireless sub. My initiative was because the sub constantly cuts out. I've moved the sub/router etc. For a $1000 system it's just not acceptable and I dealt with it for too long. Maybe I'll give it to my dad.

I went with a play bar, sub and two Play One's as well as an HDMI splitter to get true 5.1 from my Samsung TV.

I'm beyond excited to get some 5.1 and turn John Wick up realllllly loud. Now I just need to get grandma to take the baby for the night!

Anyone have any tips? I'm a Smartthings user as well - any fun automations you use?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Awesome - welcome to the club

Did you get the Play:1s or Sonos One's with Alexa.

Smartthings has all kinds of stuff you can do with Sonos. I have mine read me time and weather as my alarm each morning. It also announces when I turn on or off security system and if security system is triggered it has a message that plays about intruder alert etc.

Also Alexa built into Sonos One's does a lot with smartthings and home automation so why I was wondering if you got Sonos ONes (vs. the Play:1s with no alexa).

Don't forget to go into settings and set audio mode on the 5.1 system to Full so when you listen to music you get full stereo out of the rears.
Userlevel 4
I've heard SmartThings is great with Sonos and IFTTT! Look into it, it will expand the versatility of your Sonos system ten-fold! You can create applets that triggers events to your Sonos system when something happens (i.e. weather changing, you speak to the Google Assistant etc.)

I haven't used SmartThings with Sonos though... if you could report back on the experience that would be great! (I might invest in it!)
Badge
@Chis, thanks! I actually did get the Sonos One's with Alexa (it was only $50 more for the pair than the Play:1) though I have Alexa all over my house already....

What smart app are you using? did you have to go through the IDE (not a problem for me). I searched in the marketplace and didnt see what other users were talking about,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Still good choice and it is more simple as far as voice control since you don't have to say the room. And it also future proofs you a bit more.

App Gentle Wake up using for my morning alarm (it also lights up my hue light bulb in bedroom simulating sunrise). I have another speaker control which links switches to Sonos I don't really use any more. Then the alarm has the voice notification options built in with custom message.

oops gentle wake up is just the light - for my actual alarm with Sonos I use Talking Alarm Clock.
In the Alexa app choose "Skills" and search Sonos as a smart device and enable it. Make sure you name your Sonos speakers so you can tell Alexa to play music or whatever through the speakers individually or grouped if they are linked as "Everywhere." Load your Smart TV as another skill for voice commands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jack Sonos integrates deeply with smart things for about anything you want voice related and music related.
Badge
Jack Sonos integrates deeply with smart things for about anything you want voice related and music related.

Do you have a link? Searching Jack Sonos returns a bunch of line-in/out jack questions
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
See my prior post. I was talking to jack on that one
Badge
See my prior post. I was talking to jack on that one;););)
Userlevel 4
Wow! How well, can I ask my Google Assistant to load up a playlist, change volumes - as well as the Alexa support etc.?
The integration with Google is still being worked on by Sonos and Google, and has not yet been released.