Question

HELP! No sound with Netflix & Sonos Playbase

• 26 June 2017
  • 3 replies

I recently purchased the SONOS Playbase. It is working when I watch free to air tv, but there is no sound when I connect my laptop via HDMI cable to my TV. I've also tried connecting an audio cable from my laptop to my tv and there is still no sound coming through the SONOS Playbase.

My TV is a Samsung PS-50C91HD.

I'm wondering if the issue is that I can't change my TV's audio from MPEG to Dolby Digital (something I've been speaking to Samsung about with no success). The TV's manual says "Dolby Digital sound is only available when the TV is connected with an external speaker using an optical cable" which it is - yet I still can't change it from MPEG to Dolby Digital (it is greyed out in the menu).

I'm also wondering if it matters that when I set up my SONOS, my laptop wasn't connected to my TV via the HDMI cable.

Please, please if anyone can help me it would be so appreciated. Laymans terms would also be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Thanks for your replies. The issue was my HDMI cable. It was HDMI to Mini Display NOT HDMI to HDMI. I had no idea - so it was only transmitting the visual across. Works perfectly now with the new cable!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It doesn't matter that the PC wasn't connected.

As you have proved that the audio is working with free to air tv (I assume that means watching on the TV tuner?) this shows the Playbase is ok.

So two reasons why there is no audio from the PC - either no signal or format that it can't decode - See page 31 of the product guide http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/PlaybarGuide_EN.pdf
I suspect this is your issue. As your audio stream is originating on your PC you should be able to inspect the audio stream to confirm what it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Does it not mention DTS lack of support at ALL ?