Question

HELP NEEDED - best 65 inch OLED TV for Beem 5.1

• 10 November 2019
  • 11 replies

I am moving house and looking to purchase a new TV and 5.1 system. Sonos seems the natural choice as I have play 5/1’s around the house but current 5.1 is wired BOSE with Sony Bravia. 

the more I look the more I get confused. 2 key areas seem to be problems for other users of Beam 5.1

1. TV’s not converting Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby 5.1. Instead converting to PCM giving poor surround sound 
  1. Lip sync issues between TV and Beam.

My local audio company advised to go with LG C9 65 with Beam 5.1 however LG seem to have a lot of bad press regarding lip sync with play bars. 

ideally I want the new playbar over Beam however as it’s not released I’ll buy the Beam now and sell when the Playbar comes out. 

Can anyone recommend 65 inch OLED that will do the DD+ to DD 5.1 conversion and not give lip sync issues ??? 

Budget approx £2k for TV and £2k for sound system. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a Sony A1 OLED with the Beam and 5.1 system. I’ve not had any lip sync issues and I get 5.1 dolby digital from the Netflix and Amazon Prime in-built apps. I would imagine the latest models from Sony would perform equally well in this regard.

I see Curry’s are selling the 65 AG8 for 1,999.

That’s for taking the time to reply , is the AG8 a later model than the A1? 

I have the LG OLEDC9 TV and that works great with HDMI-ARC and eARC and audio pass-through. It works just fine with my Sonos Beam. I have no issues with lip-sync, nor any problems playing DD 5.1 from its built-in Netflix/Amazon Apps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s for taking the time to reply , is the AG8 a later model than the A1? 

Yes the AG8 and more expensive AG9 are the 2019 models. The A1 was released in 2017.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have a Samsung and thats terrible 

Samsung keep saying its a sonos problem 

I got a 65” C9 yesterday and so far no problems! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I've just ordered a lg B9 hopefully this will work 

All,

Does the volume indication appear on any of these TVs with the Beam?  I’m shopping for a new 65” and what to get the volume indication on the new TV.

After quite a bit of research and speaking with some experts I think I am going to go with the Panasonic GZ950B. It’s the most future proof with HDR 10+ and everything else you’d expect. Pound for pound the picture quality. The install will be Jan so I’ll feed back to the group and let you know. I won’t be ordering for around a week so if there are any Subject Matter Experts on this matter , please jump in :) 

I have the LG OLEDC9 TV and that works great with HDMI-ARC and eARC and audio pass-through. It works just fine with my Sonos Beam. I have no issues with lip-sync, nor any problems playing DD 5.1 from its built-in Netflix/Amazon Apps.

do you have anything else connected with your beam? Sub? Surrounds? 

do you have anything else connected with your beam? Sub? Surrounds? 

I assume you are referring to the TV peripherals I have plugged into the C9 TV. Here they are...

• VirginMedia V6 Cable TV Box 1TB 
  • Apple TV4
  • Playstation
  • A couple of USB Storage Drives for additional recording from Freeview