Question

HDMI Switch question

• 20 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I’m installing a new LG TV with eARC today which I plan to connect to my Sonos ARC.

To minimise the number of HDMI Cables I will need to run to the TV, I would like to use just one of the TV’s regular HDMI 2.1 inputs and add an HDMI switch box to switch between a PS4, Blue Ray player and a PS3. 

To maintain the integrity of the HDMI 2.1 standard and to future proof the system (say for when PS5 or new XBox are available) do I need a specific HDMI 2.1 switch, or will any HDMI switch work?

And if it does need to be 2.1 compliant, are there any reasonably priced simple three way switches out there that people are using? I’ve tried searching the web and past community questions, but it isn’t very clear to me. 

The Sonos ARC is going directly to the TV Port. I only want to switch the HDMI Inputs into the TV.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This seems like a problem waiting to happen IMHO. There are enough issues today with eARC/ARC when used on TVs in the “normal” way, so moving the switching ability to an external device is unlikely to reduce the issues. I wish you luck, let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m installing a new LG TV with eARC today which I plan to connect to my Sonos ARC.

To minimise the number of HDMI Cables I will need to run to the TV, I would like to use just one of the TV’s regular HDMI 2.1 inputs and add an HDMI switch box to switch between a PS4, Blue Ray player and a PS3. 

To maintain the integrity of the HDMI 2.1 standard and to future proof the system (say for when PS5 or new XBox are available) do I need a specific HDMI 2.1 switch, or will any HDMI switch work?

And if it does need to be 2.1 compliant, are there any reasonably priced simple three way switches out there that people are using? I’ve tried searching the web and past community questions, but it isn’t very clear to me. 

The Sonos ARC is going directly to the TV Port. I only want to switch the HDMI Inputs into the TV.

Thanks

It would need to be HDMI 2.1 compliant, if you want HDMI 2.1 functionality.  I don’t think any such switch exists today.  Also, in my experience, many of the switch manufacturers make claims they support things such as Dolby Vision or 4K @ 60hz and then you get their product and the switch doesn’t pass it.  So even the basic 18GBPS functionality isn’t always there.  My recommendation would be to put your TV on the wall with a full motion mount and mount your boxes (Apple TV, cable box, etc.) to the back of the TV or on the wall behind the TV.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks to both of you for the feedback, suggestions and advice.

Given the concerns I have decided to run a second HDMI lead to the TV from the cabinet I use to house the players, etc. Concluded that we use the PS3 so little nowadays, that there is no point providing a dedicated HDMI lead for it. On the odd occasion we might want to use it, I’ll just use the HDMI lead off one of the other players. As/when a reasonably priced HDMI2.1 switch becomes available, I will review the situation again.