HDMI-ARC issue

• 12 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have connect my TV to my Beam via the HDMI-ARC which is HDMI 1
HDMI 2 is connected from my TV to my Mag322 iptv box and all is working well however
The HDMI 3 from my TV to my SKY box although I get a picture I cannot get any sound to work
Does anybody know what I might have done wrong or the correct way to get both the iptv box and my SKY box to work
I use the sky box as a back up when I get internet issues and also for some specific programs that I do not get on my iptv system
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

What make of TV? There have been a number of reports of Samsung TVs having difficulties, related to HDMI-CEC.

See if you can disable CEC on the Sky box. If not, inserting one of these CEC-less adapters into the HDMI cable from that box may fix things.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi ratty thanks for the prompt response My TV is a Panasonic TX-P42ST30 But its weird because this morning I unplugged all the HDMI cables and plugged them back in the same slots as they came out and the sound is now working for both my iptv box and my SKY box, now I'm really confused.
I cannot find any CEC settings on my Sky box
But its weird because this morning I unplugged all the HDMI cables and plugged them back in the same slots as they came out and the sound is now working for both my iptv box and my SKY box
This is not unusual. It will work until the TV is turned off, then when it's switched back on the problem returns.

It appears to be a case of a slightly ill-behaved HDMI device switching the TV audio away from the Beam via CEC. I had this in the case of a Humax box into a Samsung TV. That little CEC-less adapter, in the line from the Humax, fixed things entirely (though I later learned that Humax had in fact issued a firmware update aiming to address the problem).
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
So where would I place the CEC-less adapter?
Would it be at the Sky box HDMI port or the TV HDMI port thats connected to the Sky box
The iptv box is working fine so am guessing its my old Sky box that has the issue
Thanks again for you help
So where would I place the CEC-less adapter?
Would it be at the Sky box HDMI port or the TV HDMI port thats connected to the Sky box

Either end. It's reversible. All it does is break the electrical connection for one of the pins.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Brilliant many thanks for your help today
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Just a quick update I can now get sound on the Sky box through the Sonos system but only on one channel, if I change channels then the sound disappears and when I go back to that first channel the sound is back
How is that possible?
Check the audio output format in the Sky box. The Beam supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo PCM.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Yup sorted I checked the audio output from the sky box and it was set to 'Dolby D' so I changed it to 'Normal' and sound is now on with all channels Thanks again for you help