HDMI ARC / dolby digital question

• 18 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm close to getting a new TV: The Sony X900F. Just wanted to make sure there were no surprises in terms of dolby pass through to the playbar. I have two older sony's, and both passed dolby thru no problem. There was no consideration/need for "ARC".

Now, the specs for this new TV (per RTINGS.com) says, " 5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital: Yes" ...which I take to be a good thing. So I should be all set? But also, of the four HDMI ports, one of them is listed as "ARC". Would that mean I should be using that particular HDMI (arc) input INSTEAD of optical? Also, specs say: "5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital: Yes"

Just a bit confused with my options and when/how/why I'd want that ARC input, versus (or in conjunction with) the optical. All to ensure I get dolby 5.1 without a problem.

Many thanks for any help!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It looks like that TV has the ARC connection you need. Connecting via HDMI-ARC will allow you to use Alexa to control the TV; switching inputs, turning on/off, etc.
Badge
The only issue you will face with this TV is it also supports DTS, so if you play a Blu Ray with a DTS soundtrack the TV will pass the codec via the HDMI/ARC.
You will need a Blu Ray player that can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks for the replies.

jgatie - Now, suppose I'm not concerned with Alexa? In that case, am I correct in assuming I can successfully get dolby 5.1 passed through to the playbar by connecting either via optical OR HDMI Arc? And if so, is there any other advantage to one vs. the other? (again, other than alexa)?

FullOn - Regarding blu ray, yes, I do have a bluray that transcodes DTS - tnx for the reminder.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Actually, I believe my question about the new TV with an ARC HDMI input is moot - because playbar doesn't have an HDMI port anyway. So optical is my only course of action. (Unless I could go from Playbar to cable box via HDMI arc, and cable box to tv via optical?)