HDfury Arcana: eARC Adaptor: Things you should know

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

My unit has just just been picked up by the carrier. Delivery is scheduled for mid week.

The Arcana is a reality and it has been tested and it works….Simple as that, Sonos should not have been jerks on how to get Atmos…

Sonos reminds me of Sony years ago on how arrogant they fell on superiority they think they are as a company…. do not get me wrong it is good stuff, just wish they would tone down the nose up attitude a bit…..Yes I am old enough to know this...

I assume you’re referring to the lack of HDMI inputs on the Arc, essentially making in an HDMI switch and video pass through device as well as speaker?   At first I pretty much agreed with you, but now tend to  think a setup with HDMI switch + Arcana + Arc + TV is better than an Arc + TV in the long run.  

I don’t think it’s arrogance that drove the decision for Sonos, but costs.  Not just costs to develop the Arc, but cost to develop it’s replacement a couple years from now when the audio aspect works fine, but it’s HDMI switching and video pass through becomes too outdated.  With this setup, the product can stay relevant for much longer, the same way that the playbar did.

Still, I understand why people prefer more ‘all in one’ type set ups and don’t want to have to buy other products to fully utilize their soundbar.

The Arcana is a reality and it has been tested and it works….Simple as that, Sonos should not have been jerks on how to get Atmos…

Sonos reminds me of Sony years ago on how arrogant they fell on superiority they think they are as a company…. do not get me wrong it is good stuff, just wish they would tone down the nose up attitude a bit…..Yes I am old enough to know this...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m not sure about that specific setup but if no one answers your question or if ya want follow this link directly and hdfury will answer your questions directly they are great with customer support https://discord.gg/8DUXVE or you can email them from hdfury.com

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I’m wondering if anyone has received a pre-release version of the HD Fury Arcana https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I am one of those with the audio lag and my work around so far has been to use the Optical output from my Xfinity DVR to the Beam and run the use the DVR HDMI output directly to the TV.  

But the new Xfinity 4K DVR only has a HDMI output.  So I think the Arcana could handle my sound.

Lastly, I still want to be able to use the Apps and Airplay for sound from the TV.  To do so, I use the TV Optical output to a 3-1 Optical switch (the other connection is the DVR).   Therefore, if I start using the Arcana in the future, I would need a HDMI 2-1 switch to feed into the Arcana.  I need help finding that HDMI 2-1.  Would something like this work as the Output for the Switch goes to the Input of the Arcana https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15373   or this

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33417

Would like to know if this configuration should work.   And any experiences with the Arcana so far if any.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think it goes without saying but the Arcana won’t inflate bicycle tires, even though I wish it would. I know it’s probably common sense just wanna make sure the Sonos community doesn’t get confused.

Userlevel 7

@melvimbe 

You are correct regarding the volume. I should have left that out.

Regarding the other commands my aim was not to provide “outside” the box alternatives as you have suggested. My intent was to focus solely on the Arcana and the limitations it may pose.

If I had a penny for every time a problem was attributed to Sonos when in fact it was something else I’d be rich. :hugging: That was the main point I intended to drive home regarding the Arcana that some features may be negated even though work-a-rounds may exist. In short “cross that bridge” when necessary.

Cheers!

1. The Arcana may negate Alexa/Google voice assistance between your TV and the Arc (as well as the Beam). Things such as on/off, volume and input switching via voice. Note: The Stretch Goal for the Arcana claims it may not :thinking:

Volume actually shouldn’t be effected for voice control as that doesn’t involve any connection between the Arc (or Beam) to the TV. What would be effected is that your TV remote may not be able to control volume by CEC controls...remote may need to be setup for IR control.  IMO, this is a good thing to do anyway, so that you use the remote to control volume when the TV is off.

On/Off of the TV and input switching would be effected, as those do use CEC.  However, there are other methods for accomplishing this by voice.  Some smart tvs are Alexa enabled, at least many Samsung TVs via smartthings.  Also, there are devices that can translate your voice command to an IR command, such as fire tv cube or logitech harmony.