Have the Playbar automatically group back to previous group when TV playback is ended.

Userlevel 1
The PLAYBAR has the autoplay mode that will remove it from the group when audio from the TV is detected. After you are done watching TV and want to return to listening to music through All Sonos devices, you "must" manually add the PLAYBAR back to the group for audio playback. Why couldn't this be automated? If the TV is not on, the Playbar should be automatically grouped back to the previous group, as it was before you started watching TV. Maybe, a "default" setting that it can return to automatically.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

see it as you. Very inconvinient always to reconnect and regroup. Ther should be an "GoBackToBeforeTheUngrouping" Option 🙂
Userlevel 1

see it as you. Very inconvinient always to reconnect and regroup. Ther should be an "GoBackToBeforeTheUngrouping" Option :-)

I agree! I listen to music all day! (retired) ..and in the evening I watch TV. So "Each and Ever" morning I have to manually bring the PlayBar back into the group.  A real pain!  I like your "GoBackToBeforeTheUngrouping" Option!  Maybe Sonos will hear us!
Cheers,
Bob
Badge +3
yes this would be useful!
Userlevel 1

see it as you. Very inconvinient always to reconnect and regroup. Ther should be an "GoBackToBeforeTheUngrouping" Option :-)

That would be great!
I don't yet have a Playbar and this issue is one of the reasons I'm waiting.  Did the new controller or the software update for 5.0 change this?

I currently have two Play 1s and a sub.  So, I'd add a Playbar to that.  Can you help me understand the downside of leaving the Playbar, Sub, and Play 1s grouped together for listening to music?  I have the impression that the issue is that it would be trying to force simulated surround on music that is best listened to as 2-channel.  So, I'm wondering if the new function in the controller app to change the music surround mode on the Playbar either fixes or improves this.

Here is text from the release notes for reference:
SURROUND MODE (ALL CONTROLLERS)
If you have surround speakers connected to your PLAYBAR, you can now change the surround setting for music playback (this setting does not apply to TV audio). Choose from Ambient (default, subtle, ambient sound) or Full(new setting that enables louder, full range sound).
I appreciate thoughts and advice from those of you that own a Playbar and have tried out the new app and software update.  Thanks!
I don't yet have a Playbar and this issue is one of the reasons I'm waiting.  Did the new controller or the software update for 5.0 change this?

I currently have two Play 1s and a sub.  So, I'd add a Playbar to that.  Can you help me understand the downside of leaving the Playbar, Sub, and Play 1s grouped together for listening to music?  I have the impression that the issue is that it would be trying to force simulated surround on music that is best listened to as 2-channel.  So, I'm wondering if the new function in the controller app to change the music surround mode on the Playbar either fixes or improves this.

Here is text from the release notes for reference:
SURROUND MODE (ALL CONTROLLERS)
If you have surround speakers connected to your PLAYBAR, you can now change the surround setting for music playback (this setting does not apply to TV audio). Choose from Ambient (default, subtle, ambient sound) or Full(new setting that enables louder, full range sound).
I appreciate thoughts and advice from those of you that own a Playbar and have tried out the new app and software update.  Thanks!

Recently added a Playbar to my Sonos system. I tried suggesting the above directly to Sonos, but they said add my voice to the discussion group. So here I am. Yes! Make the default action to rejoin the group after TV is turned off.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
The same issue occurs with the Connect after Auto-playing to a remote Player. I'd love to see an option in the next firmware update that would let the Bridge re-establish the Players' grouping and volume level after the line-in signal stops.
Badge +2
Nice to see many users, under different conversational threads, requesting this feature. I have not seen any reply from SONOS, and the request is a good two years old. Sad
I had written on this post right before I bought a Playbar earlier this year.  I've now owned one for about six months and the setting I describe above works fine for me.  The system swtiches off the surround and goes into a 2 channel mode with sound distributed across the Playbar, 2 Play 1s and the Sub so it sounds good ..... and normal.  Then, when it detects the TV is back on (through the optical cord), it switches itself back to surround mode.  

So, if you you have a particular need for the Soundbar to turn off and to only use a different configuration of speakers then this wouldn't work for you, but for my purposes it works just fine and I love the system.  

I hope that helps some that are reading this.
I have a Playbar and a single Play3 in my family room that I group when listening to music. I'd love to have them regroup automatically after watching TV. Upon switching to a streaming audio source.
Badge
+1 for me, sounds like a "need to have" feature to me.
Badge +2
It really should be. Niles Audio makes switches that sense sources. When the source is shut off, it switches back. So the technology is there. 
Agree, this is a basic feature that needs to be added and wouldn't be difficult to implement. Additionally, it should be able to change to the sound level it was when it was switched. I always have to turn the volume up when it switches to the tv, then turn it back down (or be blasted) when it goes back to the rest of the system. It should retain it's volume levels separately for TV and Audio mode.
I absolutely agree, it should be a option to ensure that, if the TV is not on, the Playbar is automatically grouped back to the previous group, as it was before you started watching.
I just got a Playbar and have the same issue. Wife is going to get annoyed if she has to re-group the Playbar to our Play:1 and Play:5 'Home' group every time. She is very used to just pressing the play button on the Play:1 and there is music everywhere. Playbar replaced a Play:1 in the bedroom and I don't want to patch holes and take this back!
Just got a playbar. Love it but the lack of this one feature means it is going back tomorrow. Can't understand why after so many years they have not included this obvious feature.
I took mine back and got a $90 Vizio sound bar and $25 mount that connects to the back of the TV (no holes in the wall!) and then just got another Play:1. $315 for that vs $640 for the PlayBar and wall mount. That plus my wife just presses the play button, music fills the house....turns the TV on and it just works.....priceless.
Really hoping this feature can be added! It's a real pain to go into the app and regroup.

Looks like it's been 3 years or more with no response from Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We don't always make replies on request threads such as this one, though we do read them all and share with out development teams too. Since we don't publish a public roadmap we don't speak to what's coming in the future, but we love getting your suggestions. Thanks!
Adding my voice to the group :

Having a Play:1 in the bedroom, I find it useless to have the soudn from the TV to be heard in the Bedroom.
Having to group/ungroup the play:1 for TV and/or for Music is a shame ....

We have a 1 to 1 match in term of configuration, so it should be pretty easy to develop/port on the Sonos Software, no ?

Laurent
Userlevel 1
Badge
Please you add this feature. This is REALLY annoying to have to regroup the speakers each time you watched the TV...

Thanks

R
Badge +1
+1 I would love that
+100
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just added 2x play 1 to my sound bar. I did not buy them to manually group and ungroup them all the time.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just added 2x play 1 to my sound bar. I did not buy them to manually group and ungroup them all the time.

Just to confirm, there is an option to un-group automatically when the Playbar goes in "TV mode" - Check the settings.
What's missing is the option to re-create the group once the Playbar leaves TV Mode.

R