Answered

Harmony Ultimate Remote stopped controlling volume on my soundbar

• 18 April 2017
  • 39 replies

Badge
Hi Support community, my Harmony Ultimate Remote stopped controlling volume on my SONOS soundbar within the last month. Environmentally nothing has changed. Same wi-fi, same tv same tv service, etc. I have disconnected the Harmony hub and reset it, I have done the same for the remote, nothing. I even have one of the Harmony sensors right underneath the soundbar IR (not sure if it is necessary or not but I found it working best this way since I don't always have the remote facing the IR - may be in a different room). Remote controls the TV and the DirecTv box with no problem. What to do?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 April 2018, 02:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Fixed this issue from the ipad app after trying everything, it was one last resort before deleting and readding. Add/edit devices-devices-sonos-refresh fixed it
Hi, I have a Harmony 650, Playbase and Play 1's. Trying unsuccessfully to get volume and channel controls on my Harmony remote, which I had before I updated my PVR/DVR. System opens and closes fine with the remote, so signals are getting there it would seem? Sorry if this is a silly question, I am a bit of a tech newbie, so be kind. 🙂 It seems this new software for the Harmony with the fix is not for the 650?

Looking at the Harmony App, there are three separate screens for the Sonos speakers... you perhaps need to move along to the next screens on your remote to see the controls you are looking for. I don’t have the 650 remote, but presume it’s something to do with the buttons below the screen area that changes the view to the next display screen. See the attached screenshots from the Harmony App.
I’d certainly try updating the firmware on the Harmony remote, if that’s possible.
Hi, I have a Harmony 650, Playbase and Play 1's. Trying unsuccessfully to get volume and channel controls on my Harmony remote, which I had before I updated my PVR/DVR. System opens and closes fine with the remote, so signals are getting there it would seem? Sorry if this is a silly question, I am a bit of a tech newbie, so be kind. 🙂 It seems this new software for the Harmony with the fix is not for the 650?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00007Vv0XE/harmony-hubbased-remotes-service-interruption-and-lag?s1oid=00Di0000000j2Ck&OpenCommentForEdit=1&s1nid=0DB31000000Go9U&emkind=chatterCommentNotification&s1uid=00531000006szSd&emtm=1525585721788&fromEmail=1&s1ext=0

Still a hot topic on the logitech forum
Frustrating.... My volume is also not working. I have done two complete system reinstallations.
Yep, I'm having the same issue as well. Started a couple weeks ago like most. All the same attempts are only temporary. Hopefully a fix comes soon!
Having same issue since last sonos update.
Userlevel 2
New message today in Logitech website:

We are closer to a resolution, stay tuned for more information.
volume back to almost un-usible again.
It worked pretty good (not perfect, but usable) this morning.

yeah the volume works perfectly for a little bit but then it always seems to fail back to what #monoverb said....
Tried the full wipe as well as rebooting the hub and Sonos, and even re-installed Sonos from scratch..nothing seems to help. I guess I'll have to wait for a Harmony update to hit my hub. Incidentally, the volume does work, only very slowly and in incremental stages - the remote seems to send a +1 volume blip every 4/5 seconds or so. Truly maddening.. i've spend the last 3 hours trying to make it work..not the idea Sunday morning by any stretch. Luckily this is not GP race weekend.

At least I know i'm not the only one. Just hoping they fix is soon. In the meantime, i just keep the sonos app open on my phone and when I need to adjust the volume, just use your volume keys on your phone to adjust. I know its still lame, but its a band-aid in the meantime.
So I updated my firmware on sound bar and now it works again.
And same here, using Harmony Elite with hub. Tried the full wipe as well as rebooting the hub and Sonos, re-installed Sonos from scratch. Nothing seems to help. Last updates installed. When the volume worked, it was only very slowly and in incremental stages. Seems the remote sends a +1 volume blip every 4/5 seconds. Can control the volume using the Sonos app, but prefer it to work on my Logitech device.
Also having the same issue. Login in with app and there was an update however still doesn’t work
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I found out that when i reboot my hub, it works very good again. For a while..........
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
volume back to almost un-usible again.
It worked pretty good (not perfect, but usable) this morning.
Userlevel 2
Tried the full wipe as well as rebooting the hub and Sonos, and even re-installed Sonos from scratch..nothing seems to help. I guess I'll have to wait for a Harmony update to hit my hub. Incidentally, the volume does work, only very slowly and in incremental stages - the remote seems to send a +1 volume blip every 4/5 seconds or so. Truly maddening.. i've spend the last 3 hours trying to make it work..not the idea Sunday morning by any stretch. Luckily this is not GP race weekend.
Userlevel 2
This isn’t a solution but rather an observation. I opened the Sonos app on my phone and watched to see how the volume was being adjusted. It does work, however it only seems to send a signal once a second. If I press and hold it only sends one volume command. If I press quickly, it only sends about once every ten clicks. If I press once a second it works, but with a delay. Hope that helps someone at Logitech resolve this. Not looking forward to redoing my whole setup from scratch. 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As from 10 minutes ago, my hub rebooted and volume works now again.
Must have been some api update pushed or something.

Volume works again , yeah!!!!
If you're only interested in using Harmony remote to control the volume of your Sonos playbar for watching TV, there is a convoluted but more elegantly operating solution. Rather than program Harmony to control Sonos directly, program it to control a proxy. I added an AV Receiver (Sony, STRDH550) to Harmony. I then went into the Sonos app (Settings/Room Settings/"Room with Playbar"/TV Setup and Control/Remote control setup) and told it I wanted to use an AV receiver remote to control Sonos volume. The Sonos app asks you to hit the volume up, down and mute buttons a few times. Voila, now your Harmony remote controls the Sonos volume. You'll have to edit the Harmony activities that used to use Sonos device for volume to now use the AV receiver. To be perfectly clear, I don't actually have an audio receiver. It's just a fictional proxy. The biggest advantage to this is that now signals are sent to the Sonos by infrared rather than through the internet. Its a much more elegant solution as long as your harmony hub has line of site to your Sonos playbar. One advantage is that the volume up function now unmutes like every other remote, instead of having to hit the mute button again. Also, the light on the playbar blinks when you are adjusting audio, so you know you're getting through.
I fixed it by basically wiping all my Sonos speakers and all of my activities that used Sonos speakers from my Harmony account. I then re-scanned for Sonos speakers, re-adding those devices and Activities again.

Harmony say that since their most recent update they are now using the "Sonos Websocket API" as per the official "Works with Sonos" platform. After installing the update my volume control on my Playbar was all screwed up. I figured it was some kind of mash up of whatever workaround Harmony were previously using, mixed in with the now official Sonos platform update. So it made sense to me to to delete all the Sonos devices from my Harmony account and any Activities that use Sonos. I then re-scaned for my Sonos devices presumably using the new API and then re-added my Activities. It's a pain but I've had no problems since then.

Interestingly before the Harmony update my Harmony would scan for my Sonos speakers and get them all wrong. For example, any stereo pairs that I had were down as two separate speakers. After the update it's now finding the correct rooms and has them paired and labelled correctly.

So in my humble opinion you need to delete any trace of how your Harmony previously used to interface with Sonos by deleting all the Sonos devices from your account and any Activties that used Sonos. Then re-scan for them and re-do your Activities using the new API that came with the last Harmony update.

Basically I did a fresh install of my Sonos devices on my Harmony remote and it's all been good since then.

--------------------------
I've done all that as well and nothing worked. I even purchased the new Harmony Elite controller and set everything up as pristine as it could be.... Nothing! 😞 Harmony is having a really bad issue with controlling the sonos bar volume. Hopefully they come up with a fix soon, because it kinda sucks haha. HELP!!! Please and thank you 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I fixed it by basically wiping all my Sonos speakers and all of my activities that used Sonos speakers from my Harmony account. I then re-scanned for Sonos speakers, re-adding those devices and Activities again.

Harmony say that since their most recent update they are now using the "Sonos Websocket API" as per the official "Works with Sonos" platform. After installing the update my volume control on my Playbar was all screwed up. I figured it was some kind of mash up of whatever workaround Harmony were previously using, mixed in with the now official Sonos platform update. So it made sense to me to to delete all the Sonos devices from my Harmony account and any Activities that use Sonos. I then re-scaned for my Sonos devices presumably using the new API and then re-added my Activities. It's a pain but I've had no problems since then.

Interestingly before the Harmony update my Harmony would scan for my Sonos speakers and get them all wrong. For example, any stereo pairs that I had were down as two separate speakers. After the update it's now finding the correct rooms and has them paired and labelled correctly.

So in my humble opinion you need to delete any trace of how your Harmony previously used to interface with Sonos by deleting all the Sonos devices from your account and any Activties that used Sonos. Then re-scan for them and re-do your Activities using the new API that came with the last Harmony update.

Basically I did a fresh install of my Sonos devices on my Harmony remote and it's all been good since then.
Badge
I have been having this issue recently. A "work around" is as follows:
Instead of having Harmony control your Playbar - have your 'tv remote' control it instead.
In the Sonos app you can configure your TV remote to adjust the volume of your Playbar. You need your TV remote to do this. It will ask for you to hit your volume + key to program this. That way your actual TV remote will control your Playbar if you did not have a Harmony hub.

When setting up your hub, ensure that you do NOT have your Playbar enabled. Now your harmony remote will "think" it is adjusting the volume of the TV. Because you 'taught' your Playbar to accept these remote commands to adjust the volume, it will now adjust the volume of the Play bar.

NOTE. I still see the volume level on my TV as if it were adjusting the TV volume. This is more of an 'annoyance' than anything else. I have yet to find a way to 'disable' my TV audio volume on my Sony tv.

It sucks that this is the only 'alternative' but i'd rather this than having to get my phone to adjust the volume because my smart remote isn't 'smart' enough.
Hope this helps. Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting about this and keeping the conversation going. At the moment, Logitech is currently aware of a problem where Harmony remotes were sending the wrong commands to Sonos devices. They are investigating the cause and a solution. I will keep this up to date with developments as they arise.

Thanks!
Having the same problem. Tried deleting, editing and adding as a new activity, nothing seems to help. Everything works except for volume up and down, mute even works. I upated Sonos a few days ago, but im not sure if i had the problem before update or not. Some help from Sonos would be nice, at least let us know that youre looking into the problem. Thanks.
Badge
This started happening to me in the last couple of days too. I don’t have the energy to reinstall the Sonos into all of my activities - it’s the one device that is included in every single one. I might try learning the old tv volume code which I have it programmed for instead.