Question

First Sonos System

• 1 December 2019
  • 7 replies

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Hello together!

I would like to buy my first Sound System. My room is something about 5x4 meters big. I use the system 50/50 for music and Films/Netflix.

I now have to decide between 3 Setups:

1. Playbar + 2 Sonos Ones as Rear - setting music mode to “full” (maybe adding Sub later)
  2. Playbar + 2 Play:5 as Rear - setting music mode to “full” (also maybe adding Sub later)
  3. 2 Play:5 as Stereo for both TV and music (if the delay isn’t that big of a problem)

What would you guys say would be the best option? I know that the Play:5 are not made for a TV but I read that the delay is not that big and I can counter it with Lyp Sinc I guess (:

Regards
Michael

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I went through more or less the same last month. In short, I din’t care much for Beam, Bar or Plate playing music – nor for the Play:5’s playing TV audio. In the end I ended up with two separate systems:

1. The White System
    Beam, 2 One SLs, Sub. Mostly hidden from view. Used for TV & surround only.
  2. The Black System
    2 Play:5s, Sub. Carefully positioned and displayed proudly. Used for music exclusively.

Very happy with the way things turned out. A bit more expensive than originally planned, but I love both sound and functionality (the audio system replaced a pair of Devialet Phantom Gold). Added a Move to the bedroom and a few Symfonisk speakers to lesser rooms and just for extra bonus fun a few IKEA volume knobs around the house.

It would have been nice if Sonos offered a way to share a sub between rooms, but hey – they somehow managed to sell me two of them. :-)

Thanks mates!

I think I will go for the Playbar + 2 Sonos One. Adding the Sub later if I feel the need for it. But guess I won’t miss the bass with the Playbar + 2 Ones in “full” mode right?

Again, only you know what sounds “best” to you. We can tell you what sounds “best” to us, but this is mostly extraneous information for you.

“Best” discussions can become heated as one pundit bashes another pundit for missing the OBVIOUS when claiming ‘A’ sounds better than ‘B’. In fact, both pundits are correct when claiming “my system sounds better than yours”. There is no need any “heat”.

Thanks mates!

I think I will go for the Playbar + 2 Sonos One. Adding the Sub later if I feel the need for it. But guess I won’t miss the bass with the Playbar + 2 Ones in “full” mode right?

If I wanna extend my System I can always go for 2 Play:5 to replace the Ones as Rear speakers and use the Ones in my kitchen (:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

To add to what Buzz has written, I think the SUB adds an important dimension to music as well. It is expensive; but I have found it to be worth it.

Goodness of sound is always in the ear of the listener.

SUB is a lot of fun during the chase scenes.

Also, one can present a technical case showing that adding SUB results in clearer midrange.

Only the SONOS bars offer a Lip Sync feature when connected to a TV.

My vote would be for #2 with SUB.

Don’t you think that It’s anough Bass without a Sub? In both Options?

Only the SONOS bars offer a Lip Sync feature when connected to a TV.

My vote would be for #2 with SUB.