Answered

Far away power with 5.1

• 25 March 2020
  • 6 replies

I'm considering getting a 5.1 system for my upstairs TV. I have one down stairs and I really like it. But I have a great room. The couch is basically in the middle of the room no where near any power. The 5.1 kits come with play 1s. What have people done about this?

A couple of options come to mind. Obviously I could see about adding a floor outlet, but that seems like overkill for this room. It's not the primary room. I could just run an extension cord, but that's a trip hazard or use an ugly cord cover like at the office. It works, but I think it's an eye sore for my setup.

The third option is that I have outlets at the sides of the room. The speakers would still be "behind" the couch, but they would be about 6ft away each. So more like to the side of the couch. The couch cannot be centered in the room. This seems the easiest, but the most lopsided approach that probably doesn't have the best sound.

I also have speaker mounts on the side of where my tv is. So the play 1s would be pointing towards the couch. Or I suppose they would point out, but someone sitting on the couch would be facing them. Honestly this seems like the best approach. 

Any thoughts or advice?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 March 2020, 14:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You speak about Play:1’s but they have been replaced by the One (SL). I’ll keep using your terms. Three possibilities:

1. Why would you need floor outlets/extension cord? Do you want to place the surround Play:1’s close to the couch? Why?
  2. Your the “third option”. This actually seems the best option to me. Tueplay should take care of the fact that the surround speakers are not close by you couch.
  3. Since surrounds are playing the sounds that are placed behind you, placing the surrounds in front of you is not an option.

I agree with the above.   You are likely over thinking this.  Place the surrounds near the outlets as a first option, set it up, trueplay, and see how you like that sound for a while.    If you don’t like it, use extension cords to place in what you think is a better position and trueplay test that.    Then go from there.

I think you’ll be happy with the speakers near the walls.  I actually have my surrounds around 10 feet behind the couch and really don’t think it’s an issue.

Ok. That was my second choice. But for clarity… this is an overly simplified layout. This is to just demonstrate where I’m referring to putting the speakers. There’s a walk way behind the couch. So they cannot go back any further. And I cannot move my couch that much further. 

Userlevel 7

Hi  @pdxmusl 

I agree with others with a slight modification. I’d place the speakers (Blue circles) as shown below angled-in toward the couch. Cheers!

That's not doable. My graphic is over simplified. In my graphic that's as far back as they can go. Pretty much if I set them off on the sides, the best I could hope for is in line with the backs of the couch or chairs or what have you. Maybe a couple of inches behind. This is one of the reasons that arrangement was not my first pick. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the rear speakers would align with the back of your couch, or even better, are just behind your couch, that would maybe be the best option - better then placing them on the back wall, that is very far behind you.