Answered

Enabling Dolby 5.1... Set Up Through XBOX to LG TV

• 18 April 2018
  • 4 replies

I am having trouble listening to full Dolby 5.1 through my PlayBase, Sub, and two Play:1's. My Sonos app reads "Stereo" for the Audio In information under "About My Sonos System". The sound comes through on all 4 speakers, but it is hardly 5.1. It all sounds the same.

THEN, after playing around, I figured out that connected my PlayBar to my Xbox One through an Ethernet Cable allows me to see "Dolby Digital 5.1" instead of "Stereo"... BUT now I cannot connect my Xbox One to WiFi because it now thinks I have a Wired Connection... Is there a way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 through an Xbox without connecting the Xbox to the Playbar via an Ethernet Cable? Is there a way on an Xbox One to have a Wired Connection that is not for internet connected and still use Wifi?

I'm aware that this problem could be with one of three pieces of hardware:

1. LG TV HDR.
- I've checked, it IS able to pass through Dolby 5.1.
- As instructed on LG's website... I've adjusted the settings to External and Internal Speakers, and then selected "Auto". - - Which, defaults to Dolby 5.1 if the TV detects an external device capable. So, the TV is good.
- My PlayBar is connected to the TV through an Audio Optical Cable.
- I was using just "External Speakers", but the LG website says to enable both External and Internal Speakers for Dolby Digital 5.1

2. Xbox One
- I've gone to Settings > Display/Sound > Audio Output > Optical Audio... and have selected Bitstream Out. I have also selected Bitstream Format > Dolby Digital
- Still, the only way for me to get it to work is if I connect the Xbox to the PlayBar via an ethernet cable. Which solves my sound issue, but now I have no internet to watch movies or anything anyway.

3. SONOS App
- I changed the sound to "Full" sound from Ambient
- I turned the Play:1 speakers really loud which allows them to make more sound, but its not Dolby 5.1 at all

So, basically, I figured out how to get the SONOS app to read "Dolby Digital 5.1"... but in doing so, I now have no internet through my Xbox One.

I know, a lot of info.

Any help would be great!
icon

Best answer by MikeV 18 April 2018, 02:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Been having the same issue which has been bugging me big time! My beam’s connected directly to the tv through HDMI arc and all I could get was stereo audio. Think I may have some sort of solution though. Downloaded the Dolby Atmos app on the Xbox, went through the set up and I’ve now got surround sound. There’s a few tester videos on the app which all seem to work. Blu-rays sound a ton better too. Hope this helps...
Userlevel 2
I had a similar situation but PS4. Did you manage to fix this issue and if you did, HOW??? I seem to have this awesome bit of kit but i'm not using it to it's full potential.:@:@:?:?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
First, Ethernet between Xbox and Playbar/base does nothing other than provide connectivity to your network. And if your Sonos system is connecting to WiFi, then it doesn't even do that. Also, on your Xbox, it's not actually the optical setting you want to adjust... you actually want to change the HDMI setting. Changing the optical setting would only affect the optical audio output from the Xbox One.

If you want to test, though, you could hook your Playbar (or Playbase, I see you use both in your post) to the optical output of the Xbox and see if you get 5.1 that way. If you get 5.1 from the Xbox Optical connection, then change the HDMI setting to be the same (Bitstream, Bitstream format: Dolby Digital).

If you don't then get 5.1 output bringing your TV back into the loop, I'd look at your TV settings. It seems weird that it would need to be internal + external, because there's only 2 speakers built-into the TV. But maybe that's just me.
I'm aware this could be an Xbox One issue and may be better served on a Microsoft Forum.. But, I thought I would post it anyway to see if some one else has dealt with the same issue.