DTS on Sonos Arc is a reality as of 11/16/21

• 17 November 2021
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 7

Well, Sonos delivered on their promise to bring DTS Surround 5.1 support to the Arc. Below is what I got with the following source and equipment. Maybe DTS:HD will come later. DTS:X is a long shot IMO.

Disc: Alien 40 Anniversary / 4K Ultra HD Video / DTS:HD Audio

Sonos Equipment: Arc with Sub x 2 and Sonos One x 2 /  Sonos S2 app v13.4.

Transport: Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra 4K Blu-Ray Player > Audio Settings: DTS HD to DTS

Monitor: LG OLED 65 inch C9PUA > Audio settings: HDMI eArc / Pass-Through

30 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Look I’m not sure whether I got the update yet, I’m in Australia, but I’ve got the Xbox series x I’m choosing bitstream DTS but my Xbox reverts back to Dolby atmos…a bit of a advice would be nice thanks..

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Tick the box pass through audio on xbox audio settings but choose dolby atmos in the settings above as this will keep atmos available 

Dts will be automatically played when dts is passed through 

Worked for me hope this helps 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Tick the box pass through audio on xbox audio settings but choose dolby atmos in the settings above as this will keep atmos available 

Dts will be automatically played when dts is passed through 

Worked for me hope this helps 

I’ve done what you have said  but it shows up as Dolby atmos on my app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Well, Sonos delivered on their promise to bring DTS Surround 5.1 support to the Arc. Below is what I got with the following source and equipment. Maybe DTS:HD will come later. DTS:X is a long shot IMO.

Disc: Alien 40 Anniversary / 4K Ultra HD Video / DTS:HD Audio

Sonos Equipment: Arc with Sub x 2 and Sonos One x 2

Transport: Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra 4K Blu-Ray Player > Audio Settings: DTS HD to DTS

Monitor: LG OLED 65 inch > Audio settings: HDMI eArc / Pass-Through

Hello. Which LG OLED 65 inch TV? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Look I’m not sure whether I got the update yet, I’m in Australia, but I’ve got the Xbox series x I’m choosing bitstream DTS but my Xbox reverts back to Dolby atmos…a bit of a advice would be nice thanks..

Settings/System/About My System will tell you what app version you’re running. 

Settings/System/System Updates/Check For Updates will let you force an update if one is available.

You need v13.4. Once the app is updated the speakers should update automatically when you launch the app. 

Userlevel 7

@LBJ2 

It’s a LG OLED 65C9PUA

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Settings/System/About My System will tell you what app version you’re running. 

Settings/System/System Updates/Check For Updates will let you force an update if one is available.

You need v13.4. Once the app is updated the speakers should update automatically when you launch the app. 

It shows update 13.4..

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The thing is I’m trying to select dts via the audio selection of my Xbox series x but when I do this it just riverts back to Dolby atmos…when I select Dolby digital it allows me to change it, when I select the let me my receiver passthrough via the BD device option the screen comes up saying cannot handle the codec…

Working here for me too. 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Is it a dts-x disc or just dts as dts-x will not work 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

My xbox settings 

On lgb8 tv 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

My xbox settings 

On lgb8 tv 

Plug disc in xbox test disc is the hulk

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

My xbox settings 

On lgb8 tv 

Plug disc in xbox test disc is the hulk

I’ve got the same setup but no dts, it keeps coming up as Dolby atmos…

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Both dts x and dts hd coming up as dolby atmos not complaining though, I dont know whether it has anything to with the HDFURY ARCANA...

Both dts x and dts hd coming up as dolby atmos not complaining though, I dont know whether it has anything to with the HDFURY ARCANA...

That’s going to be because dts-X and dts-HD formats are not supported on Sonos devices. They currently only support dts 5.1 audio.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That’s going to be because dts-X and dts-HD formats are not supported on Sonos devices. They currently only support dts 5.1 audio.

But doesnt it downgraded to normal DTS?????, Ive tried a normal dts disc and it still shows up as Dolby atmos on my app...

But doesnt it downgraded to normal DTS?????

Yes, probably, if the disc is encoded in that format and if you were to switch off the Dolby codec - a player when set to ‘Auto’ should start at the highest codec available that it can play and ideally work it’s way down the list of codecs until it eventually gets to PCM stereo.. but in most cases if the ‘Auto’ setting isn’t set, then the user can choose a compatible codec manually from the players list of codecs it can use or transcode.

The Blu-Ray disc I tested had its audio encoded in both Dolby and dts formats - I just selected the player to use dts in my test-case.

Why play lossy .dts 5.1 anyway, if you can have uncompressed Dolby TrueHD (Atmos) audio anyway?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The issue is I try to select bitstream dts audio selection on my XBOX  it’s just defaulting to Dolby ATMOS...Doesnt give me the option to change, I also go on device manager BD and click on let my reciever do the work, It comes up on the screen it doesn’t recognise the codec….

The issue is I try to select bitstream dts audio selection on my XBOX  it’s just defaulting to Dolby ATMOS...Doesnt give me the option to change, I also go on device manager BD and click on let my reciever do the work, It comes up on the screen it doesn’t recognise the codec….

Maybe someone here with an XBOX will be able to assist you with its settings, I take it that the disc you’re playing has a .dts soundtrack and if the audio is going via your TV that the TV will pass-through that codec - note some older TV’s may only pass the codec through its Optical port.. so there are those things to consider too.. you can ‘maybe’  check your TV dts pass-through capabilities here at rtings.com

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Hope that assists. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ken Ive got the HD FURY arcana so playing the codec wouldnt be an issue you would think

Depends on what codec is being sent, then. As expressed further up the thread, for instance, if DTS-X or DTS-HD codecs are being sent, the Sonos won’t be able to interpret them.

Especially when using an Arcana, you need to be careful about what is being sent by the originating device.

Ken Ive got the HD FURY arcana so playing the codec wouldnt be an issue you would think

Yes, what Bruce says, it will come down to your XBOX settings then and the disc having the .dts encoded audio track of course… I assume the Arcana passes through the codec, as others here in the community who use that audio extractor have mentioned they have dts working with their Blu-Ray players.

Userlevel 7

Have you turned on the DTS setting in the Arcana’s Audio menu?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Have you turned on the DTS setting in the Arcana’s Audio menu?

No how willI do that,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Anyway it’s not an issue that I’m not getting dts, all my dtshd blu ray are being upmixing everything to Dolby atmos…