DTS, Dolby 5.1 on Playbar, 2015 edition!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi all

I am writing this post in the hope it may help those struggling with the above issue(s). The first topic which appears on this in Google is the post at https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/solving-the-51-dts-issues-with-the-playbar-34523, which is now out of date. For my part I wanted to set out what I did to "resolve" this issue (or more accurately, work around it).

Since the above post, Sonos have written a few useful notes. The most helpful is: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945/~/maximizing-playbar-sound-from-your-television.

A further note deals with the XBOX work around (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2490/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQxMjA4NzE0L3NpZC9JdER6cXR2bQ%3D%3D) and another provides the details for PS4 (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/related/1).

The Issue

Playbar with 2 Play:1s and a Sub is a 5.1 Surround system. However, because the Playbar connects through a Digitial Out/Toslink/SPDIF, its limited bandwidth prevents it from EVER being compatible with DTS-HD, Dolby True-HD or any other lossless/HD audio. However, it is possible to play Dolby 5.1 providing your TV can output a Dolby Digital signal through the Digital Out.

People realise that they are only listening to Stereo when they go to About My Sonos System and realise that the AUDIO IN listed under PlayBar is STEREO. When its 5.1 it will say Dolby Digital 5.1, or when Dolby Digital 2.0, exactly that.

DTS

DTS will have to be re-coded as Dolby Digital to be played by the PlayBar, else it will be silent (displaying "Audio not supported"). There is no way of playing DTS itself.

Work arounds: My experience

I read the above post and went off to buy a switch (although, this one in the UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DZIXIMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00, called Portta 4x1 HDMI Switcher with Toslink and Digital Coaxial Port 3D Splitter with Remote and AC Adapter/ 3D 1080P). When I connected my BD-Player to this by HDMI, with my STB and TV, and connected the switch to the Playbar, it started to play 5.1. Result. However, this is a poor solution as you have to manually switch between inputs, have another remote, cannot use a magic remote or the input management system on the TV etc.

I thought about buying an XBOX (which my research indicted is the better media system when compared to PS4) it (with PS4) decodes DTS to DD 5.1 "on the fly.

I also thought about buying the OPPO BDP-103 for a whopping £400 as suggested by the post.

However, there are literally a handful of BD Players which also re-code DTS to DD (please see SONOS's own post). I purchased the Samsung BD-H6500 for a very reasonable sum and can now play DTS easily on the Playbar (obviously, recoded to DD5.1).

I have set my system up as follows. My LG 55EC930V is connected to the Playbar. This TV outputs Dolby Digital (and I think, even Dolby Digital Plus) via Digital Out. I have then connected my Virgin Media STB to the TV via HDMI (STB set to output Dolby Digital Audio) and the BD Player via HDMI, which is set to output recoded DTS.

My issue was that my wired Home Cinema system (Panasonic SC-BTT270) would not output DD as it only had an Optical In, so I had to buy a new player. I highly recommend the one I bought, it plays great.

Also, my Playbar also plays 5.1 from Netflix, Amazon Prime video and Live TV (though, not Youtube for some reason).

Other work arounds

You can also work around the DTS issue by connecting the Playbar to an XBox or PS4, or at worst, a switch.

I hope this helps!!! 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

136 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
They say that people where not interested in the DTS update, come on don't fool us Sonos!!!!! you know people have ask many many times for the DTS update you know that! I just still Don't know why Sonos won't bring a DTS update... When I play a movie with DTS I don't get any sound..i don't want stereo or DD....we want DTS sound!!! As a true 5.1 set, Wake up Sonos! And let my expensive Sonos set play DTS! Its really a shame, a cheap surround set can play DTS, why won't Sonos support DTS and listen to his loyal customers....after all this time Still no DTS update in 2015...I want a fair answer Sonos and a lot of other customers! What's the real reason why not support DTS?

Don't fool us and say most tv's are not output DTS I know that! When i play a blueray movie I don't get any sound...DTS Support Is really need on the Sonos playbar...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos have already stated why they don't support DTS and indicated that it is very unlikely ever so to do.

You don't want "a fair response" what you want is for the Playbar to support DTS and any other response will be ignored.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'am not ignoring just want to discus about this issue.
I not the only 1 that need the DTS support on the Sonos Playbar.... I think
Its a big fault! And a very important feature that will be missing. Like I Said earlier its 2015 there are a lot of Blueray- Movies with DTS in my Movie collection.What I really want to know is how much work will it cost to support DTS for the Sonos Playbar?
Why keep asking questions that have already been answered? If you can't accept their explanation now, why should anyone think further explanation is going to change your mind. The Playbar is not going to support DTS. PERIOD!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I hope Sonos realize soon that they have made a mistake not supporting DTS.
We will see...
A lot of these arguments are ridiculous. If this is meant to be for non-tech savvy people then they will never understand why they can hear some stuff through their Playbar and not others. If you are going to market part of your business as home theater then you better pony up the dough for licensing of DTS. People willing to drop this kind of coin on speakers and boosters and bridges are people who want the most out of their systems since the price is on point with system that are far more capable as home theaters. If Sonos is strictly saying, "we are for streaming music" then enough said and DTS isn't a concern at all. BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price. I think the reality is they do not want to pay for DTS licensing, is not because consumers don't want or need it. DTS X is going to be replacing a lot of content that uses DD because it can replicate the same sound as DD Atmos through software alone and not having to buy upward. projecting speakers. Even the NFL is considering DTS over DD for the 2017 season. Good luck football fans with your Sonos system and watching football.
BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price.

As you should. Most definitely, if you are concerned about playing ALL formats, you should put together your own system piece by piece.
BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price.

As you should. Most definitely, if you are concerned about playing ALL formats, you should put together your own system piece by piece.

You missed the point, a very expensive system should not of all things not have 'format' limitations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A lot of these arguments are ridiculous. If this is meant to be for non-tech savvy people then they will never understand why they can hear some stuff through their Playbar and not others. If you are going to market part of your business as home theater then you better pony up the dough for licensing of DTS. People willing to drop this kind of coin on speakers and boosters and bridges are people who want the most out of their systems since the price is on point with system that are far more capable as home theaters. If Sonos is strictly saying, "we are for streaming music" then enough said and DTS isn't a concern at all. BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price. I think the reality is they do not want to pay for DTS licensing, is not because consumers don't want or need it. DTS X is going to be replacing a lot of content that uses DD because it can replicate the same sound as DD Atmos through software alone and not having to buy upward. projecting speakers. Even the NFL is considering DTS over DD for the 2017 season. Good luck football fans with your Sonos system and watching football.

Twaddle, well written twaddle but still twaddle.

Here's why. Sonos have made the Playbar to connect to the TV via Toslink (optical). None of those will be passing DTS so why would you expect the Playbar to be able to decode it?

Twaddle, well written twaddle but still twaddle.

Here's why. Sonos have made the Playbar to connect to the TV via Toslink (optical). None of those will be passing DTS so why would you expect the Playbar to be able to decode it?

You are very misinformed. Many TV's pass DTS via optical (toslink). For instance my LG OLED 9500 will pass through DTS just fine over optical.
Also on their website it says "iPlays all sources plugged in to your HDTV: cable/SAT boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HDTV, PLAYBAR will play it.", which is not correct.
[You missed the point, a very expensive system should not of all things not have 'format' limitations.

I don't disagree with you. But that does nothing to change the fact it doesn't and if you are looking to play all formats, you should seek an alternative system. I stated this very fact the day the Playbar was released, and despite accusations of being the biggest Sonos shill going, I have not wavered in my view. Playbar, despite its expense, is marketed towards those who want an easy to set up 5.1 system, and suffers from the limitation of not being able to play DTS and lossless Blu-ray formats. If these are important to you, get another system. Quite frankly, if one is a HT aficionado, I wonder why they would be getting a soundbar instead of separates in the first place. Hardcore HT fans laugh at soundbar setups.
[You missed the point, a very expensive system should not of all things not have 'format' limitations.

I don't disagree with you. But that does nothing to change the fact it doesn't and if you are looking to play all formats, you should seek an alternative system. I stated this very fact the day the Playbar was released, and despite accusations of being the biggest Sonos shill going, I have not wavered in my view. Playbar, despite its expense, is marketed towards those who want an easy to set up 5.1 system, and suffers from the limitation of not being able to play DTS and lossless Blu-ray formats. If these are important to you, get another system. Quite frankly, if one is a HT aficionado, I wonder why they would be getting a soundbar instead of separates in the first place. Hardcore HT fans laugh at soundbar setups.

Still missing the point, i have an 11.1 system for my home theater. A center channel that cost as much as a BW center channel/soundbar should be able to play DTS.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That's right! and Sonos also marketing that you have a complete 5.1 surround set if you add 2 play 1 or 2 play 3 speakers .If I want to hear a blueray music concert then I want the real DTS sound its much better audio quality. I do not connect the Playbar to my led tv but straight to my dreambox (toslink) why? because the dreambox puts out DD and DTS through Optical and my Samsung led Tv not.But still Sonos have not the DTS Licence...
again this simple question how much work will it cost to support DTS for the Sonos Playbar?
[Still missing the point, i have an 11.1 system for my home theater. A center channel that cost as much as a BW center channel/soundbar should be able to play DTS.

Again, not missing the point. I agree with you. But whether I agree with you or not, the fact is IT DOESN'T PLAY DTS! So you have two choices; futilely keep complaining about it here, long after Sonos has officially stated it will never support DTS, or you can cut your losses and go get a setup that meets your needs.
But still Sonos have not the DTS Licence...
again this simple question how much work will it cost to support DTS for the Sonos Playbar?

Why do you wish to know how much it will cost, when Sonos has officially stated they have no intention of supporting DTS? Is the answer going to change your mind and make you say "Oh gee, Sonos was correct in not supporting DTS"? Somehow, I highly doubt it.

Sometimes people just have to take a company's statement at face value. They aren't going to support DTS. Period.
But still Sonos have not the DTS Licence...

Why do you wish to know how much it will cost, when Sonos has officially stated they have no intention of supporting DTS? Is the answer going to change your mind and make you say "Oh gee, Sonos was correct in not supporting DTS"? Somehow, I highly doubt it.

Sometimes people just have to take a company's statement at face value. They aren't going to support DTS. Period.

You are very defensive for Sonos, you work for them?

No, Sonos employees are duly noted in their names, and I highly doubt Sonos would keep me employed after my scathing review of the Playbar's lack of DTS support. But I'm also not a fan of futilely banging my head against a wall, so I accept that the Playbar is not suitable for a true Home Theater setup, and that all the complaining in the world is not going to change it.

Though it's not the first time someone attacked me as being a Sonos shill when they can't accept the facts.

No, Sonos employees are duly noted in their names, and I highly doubt Sonos would keep me employed after my scathing review of the Playbar's lack of DTS support. But I'm also not a fan of futilely banging my head against a wall, so I accept that the Playbar is not suitable for a true Home Theater setup, and that all the complaining in the world is not going to change it.

Though it's not the first time someone attacked me as being a Sonos shill when they can't accept the facts.

Not sure what is more concerning, your imperialistic attitude or the fact you hang around the forums for 8955 posts. If it is such a waste of time why do you devote so much of it to going into DTS forums and criticizing others for speaking out about their displeasure due to that fact? I don't need you to respond because this post is mostly rhetorical. Thanks.
Not sure what is more concerning, your imperialistic attitude or the fact you hang around the forums for 8955 posts. If it is such a waste of time why do you devote so much of it to going into DTS forums and criticizing others for speaking out about their displeasure due to that fact? I don't need you to respond because this post is mostly rhetorical. Thanks.

When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. It would be a funny occurrence, if it wasn't so tired and sad.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
We want a answer from Sonos to this question how much will it cost to support DTS on the Sonos Playbar?
I still have my Sonos set after al this time.

Moderation edit by Ryan S Inappropriate language and behavior.

When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. It would be a funny occurrence, if it wasn't so tired and sad.

Please reread, i did attack the message. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. You criticized it for lack of DTS support and then criticize others for the doing same thing telling them to get over it. I bought a product that is inferior than described, i have the right to come here and voice my complaint about it without someone like you telling me how i should feel or deal with it. If you are sick of people complaining about it, stay out of the 'sonos and DTS' forums then. It is not like i came to a post you started and began complaining about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We appreciate the continued interest here, and rest assured, the team is still monitoring the market to see how things develop. The story on DTS support remains the same. There are no plans to add support for DTS to the PLAYBAR. If there's any change we'll let everyone know. As we've said before, a lot of factors have gone into this decision and it was a difficult one to make.

Let's also remember to stay friendly here. There's no need for attacks or profanity. Thanks!

Please reread, i did attack the message. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. You criticized it for lack of DTS support and then criticize others for the doing same thing telling them to get over it. I bought a product that is inferior than described, i have the right to come here and voice my complaint about it without someone like you telling me how i should feel or deal with it. If you are sick of people complaining about it, stay out of the 'sonos and DTS' forums then. It is not like i came to a post you started and began complaining about it.

I will post what I want, when I want. As long as I adhere to the terms of service, I imagine I'll be just fine. I suggest if you cannot handle the discourse. maybe it is you who should leave.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
So Ryan S wich factors have gone into the decision to not go for DTS Support?
People have ask hundreds of times to add DTS support for the Sonos Playbar... as we want to play our music/movies on Blueray DTS.
We get no sound when playing a Blueray DTS Movie or a DTS music Concert!
Is it the hardware that won't work with DTS? is it too expensive to get a DTS license? what is the real problem.
I have payd 1800 euro for my Sonos 5.1 set, DTS is standard in 2015 and its a missing feature!
you still make updates for the app why not updating to DTS...come on Sonos don't let your customers down, a cheap surround set allows you to play DTS...
Peace brothers! sleep well.