DTS, Dolby 5.1 on Playbar, 2015 edition!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

136 replies

Also on their website it says "iPlays all sources plugged in to your HDTV: cable/SAT boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HDTV, PLAYBAR will play it.", which is not correct.
A lot of these arguments are ridiculous. If this is meant to be for non-tech savvy people then they will never understand why they can hear some stuff through their Playbar and not others. If you are going to market part of your business as home theater then you better pony up the dough for licensing of DTS. People willing to drop this kind of coin on speakers and boosters and bridges are people who want the most out of their systems since the price is on point with system that are far more capable as home theaters. If Sonos is strictly saying, "we are for streaming music" then enough said and DTS isn't a concern at all. BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price. I think the reality is they do not want to pay for DTS licensing, is not because consumers don't want or need it. DTS X is going to be replacing a lot of content that uses DD because it can replicate the same sound as DD Atmos through software alone and not having to buy upward. projecting speakers. Even the NFL is considering DTS over DD for the 2017 season. Good luck football fans with your Sonos system and watching football.

Twaddle, well written twaddle but still twaddle.

Here's why. Sonos have made the Playbar to connect to the TV via Toslink (optical). None of those will be passing DTS so why would you expect the Playbar to be able to decode it?

You are very misinformed. Many TV's pass DTS via optical (toslink). For instance my LG OLED 9500 will pass through DTS just fine over optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A lot of these arguments are ridiculous. If this is meant to be for non-tech savvy people then they will never understand why they can hear some stuff through their Playbar and not others. If you are going to market part of your business as home theater then you better pony up the dough for licensing of DTS. People willing to drop this kind of coin on speakers and boosters and bridges are people who want the most out of their systems since the price is on point with system that are far more capable as home theaters. If Sonos is strictly saying, "we are for streaming music" then enough said and DTS isn't a concern at all. BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price. I think the reality is they do not want to pay for DTS licensing, is not because consumers don't want or need it. DTS X is going to be replacing a lot of content that uses DD because it can replicate the same sound as DD Atmos through software alone and not having to buy upward. projecting speakers. Even the NFL is considering DTS over DD for the 2017 season. Good luck football fans with your Sonos system and watching football.

Twaddle, well written twaddle but still twaddle.

Here's why. Sonos have made the Playbar to connect to the TV via Toslink (optical). None of those will be passing DTS so why would you expect the Playbar to be able to decode it?
BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price.

As you should. Most definitely, if you are concerned about playing ALL formats, you should put together your own system piece by piece.

You missed the point, a very expensive system should not of all things not have 'format' limitations.
BUT if i'm dropping 1700.00 on a 5.1 setup for my home theater it better be able to play ALL formats. I can put together a much better sounding system piece by piece for that price.

As you should. Most definitely, if you are concerned about playing ALL formats, you should put together your own system piece by piece.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I hope Sonos realize soon that they have made a mistake not supporting DTS.
We will see...
Why keep asking questions that have already been answered? If you can't accept their explanation now, why should anyone think further explanation is going to change your mind. The Playbar is not going to support DTS. PERIOD!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'am not ignoring just want to discus about this issue.
I not the only 1 that need the DTS support on the Sonos Playbar.... I think
Its a big fault! And a very important feature that will be missing. Like I Said earlier its 2015 there are a lot of Blueray- Movies with DTS in my Movie collection.What I really want to know is how much work will it cost to support DTS for the Sonos Playbar?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos have already stated why they don't support DTS and indicated that it is very unlikely ever so to do.

You don't want "a fair response" what you want is for the Playbar to support DTS and any other response will be ignored.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
They say that people where not interested in the DTS update, come on don't fool us Sonos!!!!! you know people have ask many many times for the DTS update you know that! I just still Don't know why Sonos won't bring a DTS update... When I play a movie with DTS I don't get any sound..i don't want stereo or DD....we want DTS sound!!! As a true 5.1 set, Wake up Sonos! And let my expensive Sonos set play DTS! Its really a shame, a cheap surround set can play DTS, why won't Sonos support DTS and listen to his loyal customers....after all this time Still no DTS update in 2015...I want a fair answer Sonos and a lot of other customers! What's the real reason why not support DTS?

Don't fool us and say most tv's are not output DTS I know that! When i play a blueray movie I don't get any sound...DTS Support Is really need on the Sonos playbar...
Its a shame that Sonos does not listen to his customers. We all want the DTS update for our Sonos playbar! Don't lie to your loyal customers just answer why Sonos why is there still no fucking DTS update for the Sonos playbar???
After all this time people ask the same question! We don't want dolby digital 5.1 we want DTS!! Please add the update soon I've been a true Sonos Fan from the start, I have buyed a lot of Sonos stuff (3000+euro). We just want the DTS update for the Sonos playbar that's all why does it have to take Sooo long?

Lie? Sonos have never lied about about this subject? They've never spoken about this subject, so how could they ever lie about it?

It isn't taking Soooo long, it isn't happening, I would have thought that was blindingly obvious by now.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Its a shame that Sonos does not listen to his customers. We all want the DTS update for our Sonos playbar! Don't lie to your loyal customers just answer why Sonos why is there still no ____ DTS update for the Sonos playbar???
After all this time people ask the same question! We don't want dolby digital 5.1 we want DTS!! Please add the update soon I've been a true Sonos Fan from the start, I have buyed a lot of Sonos stuff (3000+euro). We just want the DTS update for the Sonos playbar that's all why does it have to take Sooo long?

Max P.: Posted edit due to Profanity.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi All

I have a simple solution to this poor design choice.

I'll go buy a Playbar, the second I type my pin number in SONOS will announce a new Playbar.
It will be called Playbar :)
It will support HDMI,3 or 4 inputs, pass through and DTS/DD etc.

Derek
SPDIF/Toslink has more than enough bandwidth for DTS and every other lossless audio codec. Blu-ray DTS streams at most around 1.5Mbps and Toslink has a is up around 125Mbps, so there's plenty of room. Xbox 360 and PS3 converted it to an LPCM (bitstream) to transport over Toslink, so it can be done.

This sounds like the same problem as the AppleTV 4. The problem isn't bandwidth, it's DRM. Toslink doesn't support DRM which means Sonos probably can't get the license for DTS. The way around is to use switches that can extract the audio stream from an HDMI cable and sends it to a Toslink output. Even then... most switches don't support DTS. I love my Playbar, but I really wish Sonos had given us a set of HDMI passthrough ports on it. I'd even consider upgrading if they ever released one.

Btw, most TVs only pass 2ch stereo on their optical out ports. Only a handful will pass a 5.1 stream.
And finally I understand Sonos said they are not adopting DTS. I am interested in why not? What is the/their reason? And from this thread that goes back more than two years there are many who also feel the same way as me. I am not alone on this.

Regards ...

It has been explained why not: As I stated above:

The Playbar was designed to connect to an optical out on a TV, the vast majority of which do not pass DTS.

Now that explanation may seem illogical to you (and in some ways to me), but it is easier to understand when coupled with the fact that the Playbar was designed for ease of installation and use by non-tech savvy persons. Most people don't care about DTS/DD, HDMI, multiple cables, etc. The Playbar is one cable from the TV. Boom. Done. Unfortunately, that one cable approach has it's limitations. I suppose it is assumed people looking for that type of simplicity will find the pseudo-surround you get from PCM stereo when DD is not available to be sufficient. You and I may disagree, but I guess Sonos knows its market better than us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And finally I understand Sonos said they are not adopting DTS. I am interested in why not? What is the/their reason? And from this thread that goes back more than two years there are many who also feel the same way as me. I am not alone on this

here is the explanation:
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/please-add-support-for-dts-for-the-sonos-playbar-4985155/index47.html#post13831903
If you have the time you can read all 47 pages - it got quite heated at times ! Strangely, I think there was about 1 year where it was actually under consideration so it was obviously a close call !

However, if you really want to read into it with a positive spin you could interpret the final sentence "We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know." as leaving the door open to adding it in future but I wouldnt get your hopes up !
Userlevel 1
Hi Jgatie,
I understand what you mean. I previously had an entry level 5.1 speaker system with Arcam 350 receiver. Didn't like the system as the receiver was massive and I didn't like the flicking between remotes etc... So got a playbar and liked the declutter of wires and boxes, etc. Enjoying the playbar, and the simplistic user friendly aspect to sonos I now want to add rear speakers to create 5.1. Then did some research and understood that there is a potential lack of 5.1 which would make the rear speakers almost pointless. Hence my comments.

I am looking into switches and currently between 4x hdmi in - to - optical & hdmi out, or 4x optical in - to - optical out. Or getting speakers and new receiver and a connect. But after original experience not sure I want to go down that route.

And finally I understand Sonos said they are not adopting DTS. I am interested in why not? What is the/their reason? And from this thread that goes back more than two years there are many who also feel the same way as me. I am not alone on this.

Regards ...
Hi jgatie, I thought the whole sonos brand and product usp is built around effortless usability, high quality audio and bringing all music to your room. The playbar combined with pair of play 1's and a sub is being marketed as a 5.1. If the playbar only has optical input and the optical does not support DTS and therefore can't produce 5.1 then that seems poor for a combined price of £1500.

That is your subjective opinion and you are welcome to it. Others feel differently. And this may surprise you, I happen to agree with your assessment, which is why my Playbar is on my bedroom TV and my Home Theater is fitted with a proper 5.1 system using wired speakers, a receiver, and a Connect. Then again, I feel any soundbar is a compromise for Home Theater, so make of that what you will.

However, unlike you, I understand a product is made for a certain market, that I may not be in that particular market, and critiquing that product for not meeting my needs to a T is not only unrealistic, it is most certainly a waste of my time. The Playbar is made for people who are not hardcore Home Theater enthusiasts and Sonos has repeatedly stated they are not going to support DTS on the Playbar. Period. Now you can do two things*: Keep banging your head against the virtual brick wall, or you can get over it and move on.

*Actually, there are 3 things. You can also buy a Blu-ray player that converts DTS to DD, and with a TV that passes DD through to the optical, you are good to go. Then again, that still leaves you with a soundbar based 5.1 system, with all the weaknesses therein. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is nothing further to know other than Sonos has said repeatedly (over a long time period and multiple people asking) that there will be no DTS on the current Playbar. There isn't much more to ask about.

Yes it would be nice if it had it. I can't think of a reason anyone would disagree with that. But the fact is it doesn't and never will.
Userlevel 1
Hi Toltec21. Not sure what you mean by ... troll the sonos community? I am a member of the sonos community, have sonos products and about to invest in more products this week. I am interested in whether Sonos will add ability to stream DTS as it would be a valued upgrade and save the need for hdmi/optical switches. Many people on the sonos community are enquiring about DTS so it must be something that people want.
Userlevel 1
Hi jgatie, I thought the whole sonos brand and product usp is built around effortless usability, high quality audio and bringing all music to your room. The playbar combined with pair of play 1's and a sub is being marketed as a 5.1. If the playbar only has optical input and the optical does not support DTS and therefore can't produce 5.1 then that seems poor for a combined price of £1500.

Can you explain why you have to troll the Sonos community if you aren't interested in the products? Sonos has consistently reported that despite your and many other requests for DTS, they are just not interested in DTS. If the connection options don't suit you either, just move on. Then you wont have to worry any more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will the BD-H6500 re-code, mvk or other files on disk/network, from DTS to DD? Or does it only do from the blu ray disc?

That's a great question, it looks like that Blu-ray player can stream network content through the Samsung Link feature (using specific devices) which has the supported formats here. The manual doesn't specify if it'll convert that content over to Dolby Digital though I'd suspect it's transmitting as PCM. I'd recommend asking Samsung support directly though, they'll have access to more information about that device.
Will the BD-H6500 re-code, mvk or other files on disk/network, from DTS to DD? Or does it only do from the blu ray disc?
Badge +1

Can you explain why you have to troll the Sonos community if you aren't interested in the products? Sonos has consistently reported that despite your and many other requests for DTS, they are just not interested in DTS. If the connection options don't suit you either, just move on. Then you wont have to worry any more.