DTS, Dolby 5.1 on Playbar, 2015 edition!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

136 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I'm having a nightmare trolling through all of these threads, if I use an HDMI switch am I not going to lose the audio from my tv ? Whats the best way to do this that people have found. I'm only willing to spend about £30 on this problem though after just buying the PlayBar!!! Can live with stereo is there's not cheap fix
Userlevel 7
Hi Pico

"I also found a link for Italia: http://www.futurhome.net/octavafile/octava_hd41arc.pdf"

Here's the direct link to home page for the Octava dealer in Italy: http://www.futurhome.net/

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Hi Pico

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, from all that I have read (from you) thus far it sounds like you may have the wrong connections from your source units to your TV and out to the Playbar. My suggestion is to connect all your source units to a powered HDMI switch; then HDMI to TV and Optical out from TV to Playbar. The type of switch I'm referring to can run up to $300 (USD) but I've found it a worthwhile investment.

Here's the US link to the one that I use...purchased here in the US: https://octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

I also found a link for Italia: http://www.futurhome.net/octavafile/octava_hd41arc.pdf

This unit is designed specially to work with the Sonos Playbar. You can probably find something similar where you live. I've attached a diagram of my connections for your review - Click it to enlarge it. I hope this sets you on the right path to a "set it once and leave it" solution.

P.S.
You probably already verified this...but make sure your TV is capable of sending DD 5.1 over optical; as all sets aren't.

Cheers!

Sorry, probably it's because of my bad English. I'm trying to understand why on blu ray disk I have to connect the optical directly to PS4 and I have to select "bitstream mix" in the disc menu. This is the only solution to have 5+1 with blu ray. All other solutions have Stereo as result.

The strange thing is that with DVD and games it get Dolby with HDMI and optical to tv.

Also another strange thing: "bitstream mix" audio option in b.r.disk menu' appears only when ps4 is connected directly via optical.

Sorry if I'm not clear enough, this thing is hard to explain in my native language as well.
Userlevel 7
Hi Pico

Frankly, I'm at a lost as to what you are trying to convey and/or ask? I have the following equipment connected to my Samsung 2014 Plasma with Playbar surround setup (i.e. sub and rears).

Google Fiber DVR
PS4
Xbox 1
Apple TV
Roku
FireTV

Other than selecting a source input I'm not making any audio adjustments to the Samsung or the source unit(s). If you are not getting DD 5.1...I'd say i'ts the encoding on the disk that is not allowing the enhanced audio to flow over optical. Some type of DRM must be in play on the disc.

Maybe someone else in the Community can comment on this as I'd like a better understanding as well. :?

Cheers!
Hi everybody, I would like to share my experience with Sonos and Ps4 regarding the famous 5+1 output.
From the test I have done it looks like that the source you give to ps4 affects the result.

Sonos via digital cable to tv: games ok 5.1 with PS4 audio output hdmi and second settings on Dolby digital midstream (test done with GTAV). DVD runs on Dolby digital as well with same config but I had to switch from pmc linear to bitstream from DVD audio menu.(test done with Save the private Ryan and Terminator 3)

Blue Ray via digital cable to tv: only stereo with same Ps4 settings even if from Blue Ray I Switch to bitstream. No way.

After several tries I got the solution : Ps4 connected to sonos and ps4 audio output on digital optical + bit stream.
At this point on blue Ray disc another audio option magically appeared named "mix". With this settings finally the system receives Dolby digital 5+1.

Any idea about what is this "mix" audio option?

Anyways I have just bought a Samuns blu ray player which is able to convert dts to Dolby digital and I should fix without switching optical from bar every time. Also I should have more picture quality from this player.

Audio quality is impressive already and I still have receive the sub...
Badge
I have loved my Sonos gear for quite some time and for many years they were the only consumer solution out there - but as the great Bob Dylan said 'times they are a changin' and the market is now full of credible alternatives. Out of respect to Sonos and the years of audio pleasure they have given me I am not going to name them here (go Google that for yourself) but I for one will be leaving Sonos behind.

DTS is important for me (and I fully appreciate its not for others, so each to their own and all that) but when I can have a whole house music system that is integrated into all my components, from standalone speakers to HiRes supporting stereo amps to Dolby ATMOS capable Amplifiers, I find myself with a compelling reason to leave. When the company whose products I have loved, and whose revenues I have contributed to substantially, refuse to recognise my (and lots of other users) needs - its time to go.

So thanks again Sonos (and I honestly mean that sincerely) for pioneering a whole new approach to music listening and making it accessible to the masses. But as another famous man who has been quoted to the stars and back said - 'so long, and thanks for all the fish'..

Actually it was the dolphins what said that

Ha ha, good point. I'm sure he will have also said it, but he did indeed write it with the Dolphins saying it 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have loved my Sonos gear for quite some time and for many years they were the only consumer solution out there - but as the great Bob Dylan said 'times they are a changin' and the market is now full of credible alternatives. Out of respect to Sonos and the years of audio pleasure they have given me I am not going to name them here (go Google that for yourself) but I for one will be leaving Sonos behind.

DTS is important for me (and I fully appreciate its not for others, so each to their own and all that) but when I can have a whole house music system that is integrated into all my components, from standalone speakers to HiRes supporting stereo amps to Dolby ATMOS capable Amplifiers, I find myself with a compelling reason to leave. When the company whose products I have loved, and whose revenues I have contributed to substantially, refuse to recognise my (and lots of other users) needs - its time to go.

So thanks again Sonos (and I honestly mean that sincerely) for pioneering a whole new approach to music listening and making it accessible to the masses. But as another famous man who has been quoted to the stars and back said - 'so long, and thanks for all the fish'..

Actually it was the dolphins what said that
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We hate to see you go ijhammo, but we hope you're happy wherever you land. We know DTS is important to some people and while there are solutions like using a Blu-Ray player which can transcode the signal to Dolby Digital, we understand wanting to have it natively. Perhaps one day our paths will cross again.

Have a good one!
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
As jgatie suggested, the player could be set to downmix DTS. It's also possible that the TV you have doesn't output DTS, in which case it would have switched the audio to Stereo. Some TVs will only pass stereo PCM from HDMI sources.

The Sony XBR75X940D mentioned above by Mlacey415 looks like it will pass Dolby or DTS depending on what it receives. But under settings you can make sure that it'll pass Dolby or set it to stereo when you're sending it a DTS signal. The PLAYBAR will perform upmixing on a stereo signal to get a surround experience which works well, though if you get Dolby to it that's always best.

Having a device in the middle that can do conversion on the fly from DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 is usually the best thing to do if you have a large Blu-Ray collection which only has DTS on it. There are some good options listed here.

Hi - thanks for the added info. My sony 70 inch xbr70x850b definitely can pass through 5.1. And yes, my older bluray player had to have been downmixing, in order to give me stereo. I was just surprised (and still am) to hear of folks getting complete silence with DTS blurays. i, too, would be frustrated with that. (Especially if I were unaware of the DTS issue.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As jgatie suggested, the player could be set to downmix DTS. It's also possible that the TV you have doesn't output DTS, in which case it would have switched the audio to Stereo. Some TVs will only pass stereo PCM from HDMI sources.

The Sony XBR75X940D mentioned above by Mlacey415 looks like it will pass Dolby or DTS depending on what it receives. But under settings you can make sure that it'll pass Dolby or set it to stereo when you're sending it a DTS signal. The PLAYBAR will perform upmixing on a stereo signal to get a surround experience which works well, though if you get Dolby to it that's always best.

Having a device in the middle that can do conversion on the fly from DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 is usually the best thing to do if you have a large Blu-Ray collection which only has DTS on it. There are some good options listed here.

I have read those saying that, but prior to getting a bluray player that could transcode DTS to Dolby, I was able to play Fast and Furious 7, Dracula Untold and Creed (all of which only offer DTS - no English Dolby) on my bluray player and I WAS getting sound - just stereo, according to the Sonos app.

Your player was set to downmix DTS to PCM stereo.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
As discussed in the other thread, your current best solution is the Samsung UBDK8500 4K bluray player. In fact, at the moment, it's your only solution. It will convert DTS to Dolby. At least there's one option. I expect, in another six months, there will be a few more.

(I'm not sure why you're resorting to DVDs - the playbar should usually still play bluray DTS - it will just output it as "stereo" or 2.0. Also, I haven't found "most" blurays to have only DTS. I think more than half still offer English Dolby.)

No, If the Playbar is fed DTS it will just be silent

I have read those saying that, but prior to getting a bluray player that could transcode DTS to Dolby, I was able to play Fast and Furious 7, Dracula Untold and Creed (all of which only offer DTS - no English Dolby) on my bluray player and I WAS getting sound - just stereo, according to the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As discussed in the other thread, your current best solution is the Samsung UBDK8500 4K bluray player. In fact, at the moment, it's your only solution. It will convert DTS to Dolby. At least there's one option. I expect, in another six months, there will be a few more.

(I'm not sure why you're resorting to DVDs - the playbar should usually still play bluray DTS - it will just output it as "stereo" or 2.0. Also, I haven't found "most" blurays to have only DTS. I think more than half still offer English Dolby.)

No, If the Playbar is fed DTS it will just be silent
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Badge
I am posting in case Sonos is still monitoring this thread. I am new to Sonos and purchased the Playbar with my new 4K TV. I am not an audiophile but I want and expect top quality video and sound. I knew Sonos' reputation and purchased a Playbar and Subwoofer along with the Sony XBR75X940D from Best Buy in August 2016. At no time did the sales person say, this soundbar will not play DTS sound. Most Blu-Ray discs (in the US) play in DTS. I would not have purchased the Playbar if I had known about this before hand. I am not a techie person so my workaround is using the DVD disc instead of the Blu-Ray, sacrificing image resolution just so I can hear the movie. I am disappointed in Sonos. This is not what I expected.
Userlevel 2
With all the people asking for days support for the sound bar could Sonos not test the best dots to dd converters that will work best with the Sonos so we know what is compatible. They could of course even make a Sonos product which I am sure would sell in the thousands.
I have the Sonos 5.1 setup plugged in optically to my 55" LG 55EF9500. This is an awesome OLED TV, but I was not getting the 5.1 sound into my Sonos system. I had both my Cox Contour Box and AppleTV plugged into the TV via HDMI, all were pushing 5.1 sound, but the optical output was only Stereo. I called Sonos trying to find a setting in the Playbar, but the issue was NOT on the Sonos side. It was on the LG side. I then called LG and with my warranty (since it was a new TV) and they sent out specific tech to work on my TV.

The Tech arrived with a special remote that could access the manufacture setup side of the TV. He then was able to adjust my TV to AC3 from PCM sound. I then had to go back to the advanced setting menu and move my sound selection to Optical/HDMI Arc. I now have true 5.1 sound playing via optical out through my TV.

Problem solved!
One way to enable DTS on your playbar is by using media server and install plex.
In my case i have LG Smart TV, i'm using synology as media server and i install 3rd party app, plex.
Plex fortunately has a feature that convert all movie with DTS audio into stereo automatically, so u can still watch your favorite movie
Without switching from internal TV speaker and External Speaker (sonos).
Userlevel 2
Badge
You've made your case, over and over and over and over for years now. As long as you persist in repeating your case, I will persist in pointing out the futility of your repetition.

Wow....but of course we already new that
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don,t care anything about dts I think you missed my point.

No, I believe Nohrmann was being polite.

1) Dolby Digital is an audio Standard covered by clear definitions and requirements

2) Similarly the optical connector is covered by International Standards

This means that it is not necessary for Sonos to test every TV, DVD Player, set top box, gaming console and audio codec. They just need to demonstrate that their Playbar is compliant to the published standards and each audio equipment manufacturer has to similarly ensure that their kit is equally compliant.
It is patent nonsense to suggest that Sonos should test every possible input source.

FWIW, I have just completed my 5.1 with the addition of a Sub. And I can tell you it rocks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Don,t care anything about dts I think you missed my point.
Badge
I do not know if you're disappointed with your purchase of the Sonos?

Just want to clarify that Sonos sound very, very good, both stereo and 5.1.
I have had the Bang & Olufsen for 30 years and certainly, Sonos is a little behind, but it is a young company with time surely mend their ways. If you do not like Sonos, there are other brands and solutions. I am very pleased.
The same strange reactions it if you like Apple. There is always someone who does not like certain applications. Life is too short to whine about DTS or not.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
If sonos labs and technicians wanted to truly get on top of the 5.1 dolby problem they would constantly be testing the major cable companies set top boxes with their famous soundbar and this includes dish and direct tv. Also a company with their value could also in their labs test at least 1 of all the major brand of televisions that come to the market such as samsung, sony,and lg. I really understand too many televisions come to the market everyday but at least the top players in the video market. I believe they use everybody's information hoping to solve their problems, they do know how to save their money by using yours I guess this is good marketing in their eyes.