Question

Don't want the Playbar but I want to play TV through speakers

• 9 December 2016
  • 3 replies

For design reasons (aka my wife doesn't want a sounder) I'm looking for optionality on sons to play the tv. Can I run 2 play 5 speakers and use these to play tv audio as well? what setup to I need to do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You could, but it won't be ideal. You would only get stereo sound out of it, no potential for 5.1. You would need to figure out how to get the sound from your TV out on a 3.5 headphone style cable to plug into the back of one of the two Play:5s. And you'd also have to deal with the delay involved in terms of sound synched to the TV screen. Some people seem to not be able to deal with it, some can. I've no opinion either way, I went with the Playbar.
You could, but it won't be ideal. You would only get stereo sound out of it, no potential for 5.1. You would need to figure out how to get the sound from your TV out on a 3.5 headphone style cable to plug into the back of one of the two Play:5s. And you'd also have to deal with the delay involved in terms of sound synched to the TV screen. Some people seem to not be able to deal with it, some can. I've no opinion either way, I went with the Playbar.
I agree with all of that. I'd add that the Playbar is designed to handle not only music but also non-music sounds, such as dialogue, whereas other Sonos products are really geared towards music only.
I really think you would be better off choosing another product that is designed for TV, rather than a Sonos product that isn't.
The two P:5s is a great idea for music - love mine. Would a soundbase be domestically acceptable for the TV?

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/canton-dm55-digital-soundbase-with-bluetooth?gclid=CjwKEAiAyanCBRDkiO6M_rDroH0SJAAfZ4KL2me_SvIunriDVwXDwMoRByFds2-5JdWbd0Pv0CAxvBoCDEfw_wcB
Further thoughts.

1. Clearly a soundbase is not suitable if the TV is wall-mounted.

2. If you were going to get the P:5s anyway, there wouldn't be a huge cost in trying them with the TV.

If your TV has analogue audio out you just need a suitable cable to take it to the 3.5mm analogue input on one of the P:5s

You might be able to run from the TV headphone socket, but that might not give great sound quality

The best result, if the option exists, would probably be to use the digital optical out from the TV and put an external Digital Analogue Converter between the TV and P:5.