Answered

DOLBY Atmos vs DolbyDigital Plus 5.1 - Netflix

Badge

Hello,

I’ve recently received my Arc bar. However I am struggling to use Dolby Atmos. I have got LG BX 65 OLED and my arc is connected via eARC HDMI. In addition I use Netflix premium subscription.

I was playing with all possible TV options but it always shows Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, never Dolby Atmos.

What am I doing wrong? How can i enable dolby atmos to see that in my Sonos App.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 July 2021, 16:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7

Are you watching Netflix in English or another language? What are your TV’s audio settings set to? On your Netflix account, be sure to have the Streaming Quality setting set to High or Auto.

Badge

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes I do watch netflix with original english audio (5.1) option

My current TV sound options:

DTV Audio Setting - Dolby Digital Plus / Auto → this does not make any effect tho

Digital Sound Out - Pass Through / Auto → same effect

eArc - ON → when it’s off it doesn’t change anything too

Badge

I was able to boost quality from PCE to Dolby Digital Plus changing Digital Sound Out from PCE to Pass Through but I have no idea what else can I do to enable Atmos.

Userlevel 7

Keep your audio settings set to Dolby Digital Plus and Pass Through.

Did you check your Netflix account to be sure the Streaming Quality setting is set to High or Auto?

Badge

Yes I changed from AUTO to HIGH. No effect. 

Userlevel 7

What specific content are you testing on Netflix?

Badge

I found some list but none of them worked in Atmos like:

Thunder Force or The Witcher 

Both are claimed to support atmos.

Perhaps check the LG TV is running on the latest firmware, which I think should be v03.23.05 and maybe try uninstalling the Netflix App and reinstalling from the LG App Store.

Badge

Let me point that I haven’t tried any other source of atmos than Netflix. Maybe it’s not Netflix app issue. What else could I check online on TV?

Userlevel 7

If you have a Disney+, Prime Video, or VUDU subscription/account, you should be able to test Atmos content on those apps. Test any of the Avengers or Star Wars films on Disney+ and the Jack Ryan series on Prime Video.

Badge

Unfortunately I don’t subscribe them. Only netflix.

Userlevel 7

The only other things I can think to try is using the Auto setting rather than Dolby Digital Plus with the Pass Through setting. Also make sure the TV’s firmware is up to date and try unplugging the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes.

Badge

Anyway I will try to find some atmos file to confirm whether or not it’s netflix issue or general TV settings.

Userlevel 7

Try testing this Atmos test tones file:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/hc21uu/dolby_atmos_512_test_video_file_download_link/

It should show the wording ‘Atmos’ with the DD logo in the Netflix App by the Movie title anyway - the "6 Underground’ movie is one such example, see screenshot from my LG C9 TV Netflix App.

If it does not show that information, then the App/Subscription is the area to perhaps focus on.

Badge

Oh I am fool…. I was sure I have Premium subscription..rather than I have Standard one.

Once I upgrade it I will drop a message if it helped.

Thanks for tip anyway!

Badge

After plan upgrade ATMOS is working :) 

Badge +1

Hello,

I’ve recently received my Arc bar. However I am struggling to use Dolby Atmos. I have got LG BX 65 OLED and my arc is connected via eARC HDMI. In addition I use Netflix premium subscription.

I was playing with all possible TV options but it always shows Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, never Dolby Atmos.

What am I doing wrong? How can i enable dolby atmos to see that in my Sonos App.

Hi mikee

i had the same problem than you

you have to go to connectivity and there link your arc sonos to the LG