Answered

Dolby Atmos or TrueHD

• 23 September 2021
  • 4 replies

I have an Arc, Sub and SL’s for my set up and am now using an HDFury Arcana where my PS5 is the source. I can get Dolby Atmos via Bitstream when using the PS5 Blu-ray player and if I fiddle with the output setting in the PS5, I can get PCM 7.1 showing up in the Sonos app. What I’m trying to work out, given the limitations of the PS5, is what the best Audio settings set up is? I want to try and get the least compressed audio through to my Sonos Arc whilst keeping the benefits of Dolby Atmos and am struggling to understand if I’m better off having Dolby Atmos show up in the Sonos app, or if PCM 7.1 is the way to go. Is PCM 7.1 uncompressed better than Dolby Atmos? or should I just stick with Bitstream Dolby Atmos? If anyone knows what I should be doing to get the best audio out of my PS5 into my Sonos Arc (via an HDFury) i’d be very grateful to know. My TV does not have eArc and I’ve connected the HDFury to the TV’s ARC (HDMI2 on my Panasonic TV). 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 23 September 2021, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

If you are watching a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos-encoded disc, you want to adjust the settings on the PS5 where the Sonos app displays “Dolby Atmos (TrueHD)” after “Audio In” under Settings > System > About My System under the Arc information.

If you are watching a DTS-HD Master Audio/DTS:X-encoded disc, you want to adjust the settings on the PS5 where the Sonos app displays “Multichannel PCM 7.1“.

Ah, this may be where i’m getting confused. So, the app where it shows audio playback will only ever shows Dolby Atmos and to check if you’re receiving a TrueHD Dolby Atmos signal from a suitably encoded Blu-ray, you need to delve deeper into the system settings to check? 

To ensure the PS5 is pushing out a TrueHD signal, are the audio settings for the PS5 Linear PCM on the Audio Settings and Bitstream on the player settings?

Userlevel 7

The Now Playing screen on the Sonos app will only show the Dolby Atmos logo. It does not show if it’s specifically Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos. You will need to look under About My System to confirm that it is Dolby TrueHD. But if you are seeing the Dolby Atmos logo on the Now Playing screen while watching a Blu-ray disc, more than likely you are getting Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio.

I don’t have a PS5, but from what I can tell:

1. With Dolby TrueHD/Atmos discs, the Audio Format (Priority) setting needs to be set to either Linear PCM or Bitstream (Dolby) and the Audio Format setting under Options > Settings should be set to Bitstream.
  1. With DTS discs, the Audio Format (Priority) setting needs to be set to Linear PCM and the Audio Format setting under Options > Settings should also be set to Linear PCM.

There are some strange anomalies when trying to get Dolby TrueHD into the Sonos Arc. However, I now seem to have multi-channel TrueHD at long last.