Dolby Atmos on Arc

• 13 January 2022
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have just purchased an Arc to replace my playbar. Everything is setup and viewing Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime, the TV app shows “Dolby Digital Plus 5.1”. I spoke to support and sent a file, which on analysing they confirmed everything was correct and the Arc was working correctly.

On reading other threads, they seem to suggest that I should be seeing “Dolby Atmos” rather than “Plus 5.1”

I am now confused and wondering if something isn’t working.

Using a Virgin V6 box, TV is an LG48CX, have Arc connected to e-Arc, V6 Box connected to HDMI in on TV. Sound set to HDMI - Arc, Advanced, set to - Sound out - HDMI Arc, Additional settings - Digital Sound out - Pass Through and eARC on.

Sorry if this has been done before :)

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I haven’t seen atmos on bt sport ultimate yet. Might be the rugby I have been watching isn’t being broadcast with atmos, only getting 5.1

The Chelsea game that’s on the Tivo V6 BT Ultimate channel (531) right now is showing ‘Atmos’ audio here on our Arc/Surrounds/Sub.

Thanks, just tried mine and mine is also showing atmos :grinning:

I haven’t seen atmos on bt sport ultimate yet. Might be the rugby I have been watching isn’t being broadcast with atmos, only getting 5.1

The Chelsea game that’s on the Tivo V6 BT Ultimate channel (531) right now is showing ‘Atmos’ audio here on our Arc/Surrounds/Sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also just noticed I’m currently getting Dolby Atmos whilst watching BT Sport Ultimate (connected through HDFury Arcana) so the V6 box is capable of outputting Dolby Atmos.

I literally only use the Virgin box for Sport as I dislike the UI

Yes, I’m getting Atmos on that channel too. I didn’t realise the TiVo box supported that audio format.

Userlevel 7

Also just noticed I’m currently getting Dolby Atmos whilst watching BT Sport Ultimate (connected through HDFury Arcana) so the V6 box is capable of outputting Dolby Atmos.

I literally only use the Virgin box for Sport as I dislike the UI

Userlevel 7

Just found this on the community. It might work for you?

https://en.community.sonos.com/home%2Dtheater%2D228993/sonos%2Dbeam%2D2%2Dno%2Datmos%2D6861816?postid=16558031#post16558031

Userlevel 1
Badge

Posted the same issue on the Virgin Community. Apparently if you upgrade your V6 box to 360, Netflix and BT Sport ultimate now pass atmos to the arc. There is also a new box on the horizon although not being pushed out yet, called TV2.0 and this is also tagged as being atmos capable. So we will see :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, have tried the Amazon app on my LG TV and all is good, it passes Atmos. Haven’t setup the netflix app yet.

Userlevel 7

So does the Netflix HD content and atmos work from the V6 box or is that the same?

4K HDR plays on my V6 box but audio only shows as 5.1, whereas the same selections show audio as Atmos on Fire TV Cube, therefore it looks to be the same.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So does the Netflix HD content and atmos work from the V6 box or is that the same?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your reply, that was my next testing route, to try the apps on the TV itself.

Thanks, that was my conclusion, I’m going to try and stream Jack Ryan from the Tv app direct to the arc and see if that works, although reading it seems the apps on the V6 should support Atmos

I have the VM V6 box too and the Prime App/channel only supports Dolby Digital+ 5.1 when selecting to play Tomorrow War or Jack Ryan - Howeve the LG OLED TV’s built in Amazon Prime App shows Atmos audio, for both of those, so it appears the TiVo Prime App is limiting things

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, that was my conclusion, I’m going to try and stream Jack Ryan from the Tv app direct to the arc and see if that works, although reading it seems the apps on the V6 should support Atmos

Userlevel 7

It’s possibly due to the Virgin V6 box. Dolby Atmos may not be supported by the Amazon Prime app within the V6 box.

I have just setup an HDFury Arcana today as my TV doesn’t have eARC, so stand to be corrected as I haven’t amended any settings.

If I play Jack Ryan through Sky Q box and Fire TV Cube, I can see Dolby Atmos badge within Sonos

If I play it through the Virgin V6 box, only Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 badge shows.