Dolby Atmos

• 13 April 2018
  • 66 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Saying that SONOS isn’t home theater is odd. They make a play bar specifically to sit under the tv. Maybe my idea of home theater is naive but the fact that atmos currently requires hdmi is more relevant than anyone’s opinion

They sell the playbar as a device that is simply better than your tv speakers, it's not advertised as a all in one home theatre package and if you read the description for the playbar, the ability to stream music and mentioned far more than the ability to do surround sound - it's obvious while the playbar is capable of doing 5.1 sound (when you add the rears and sub) - it's only marketed as a better speaker than the ones in your tv and by the way, it streams music and it can play music with the other wireless sonos speakers in other rooms

However Sonos do need to up their game, some TV's with built in speakers are now starting to do 5.1 and they can decode Dolby True HD etc, so technically some TV's with built in speakers are producing higher quality sound than Sonos so Sonos saying that the PLaybar is better than your TV's speakers may not be true anymore unless they up their game with a new product
You are wrong. Here is the product description:
"The home theater sound bar and music player in one." No where do they say, "we sell it as a device that is simply better than your TV speakers." If you actually care to go read it yourself, you will see that it says "home theater" device AND streams music, too. Check you facts please, before spouting off false statements. The speakers do natively fire in an upwards direction, more at an angle, so there's no saying they cannot update firmware to work with Apple 4K with Atmos. May not be as good as others with original design elements for Atmos, but not too say it will never happen. Play One can be mounted to fire up, too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would assume that the best method for Atmos with Sonos would be adding HDMI to a new version of Connnect. Then you can choose any 7 speakers as seperates fed by a connect.

Soundbars - don't really lend themselves to Atmos. Soundbars are more for convienience not high end separation codecs.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Soundbars - don't really lend themselves to Atmos"
Except when they do, like with LG's offering ?

Rather than fork out another £400 for a bar that will *maybe* be able to output 5.1 from other codecs, I'll just put that £400 toward something that can actually do better, guaranteed.

And that's my point. Sonos could have kept up. They didn't.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I understand what he is saying and in some sense he is right

Go look at the Dolby gold standard setup diagram for Atmos - the height channel is supposed to be produced by speakers in your ceiling not by trying to bounce sound off the ceiling, there is a big difference in outcomes

Bouncing sound off the ceiling can work but it’s temptemenal, you need to measure and sit in the perfect angle and have the perfect room ceiling acoustics and not have a ceiling material that absorbs sound - not many people have a good environment for this so soundbars that bounce sound don’t work as well as you would have hoped

That’s why in 2018 a lot of manufacturers have given up on bouncing sound, Sony has, their 2018 sound bar just sends the height channel in an arc above your head, think of it as the same thing the left and right Sonos Playbar tweets do ( send sound in an arc to the side) the Sony soundbar does the same but put the tweet in the center and turned it vertically so the sound goes up and over your head - you don’t hear sound from the roof with Atmos content but it’s still over your head. The benefit is it always works, doesn’t matter what your environment looks like it will always work
What kind of time frame are we talking about here? The same timeframe for plate tectonics, perhaps?
Time to ditch sonos and go where the actual progress is happening.

Mr Conor -
1. "plate tectonics.......now THAT'S funny!!! Absolutely brilliant reference. Well played.
2. I fear you, and others, may be right....... I LOVE my SONOS system, and as a local Bostonian, proud to support a local company done good but..... they may be going the way of the blackberry by not following their best inventors and collaborators.... the users.... us.....

I am not an "audiophile" by any stretch of the words but.... I do love surround sound for both my music and movies. More so for movies and it's not that ATMOS is a deal breaker, but it's a pretty cool add on that I think people will pay for just because it's there. Similar to 5.1, electronic windows in cars, CD players, bluetooth, etc, it will most likely become "standard" one day or be replaced by something similar but why not throw it in there now. Just my .02 cents.

Watching Last Jedi as I write this and it's the scene with Finn, Rose, BB-8 and DJ (played by Benicio Sel Toro) where they are in hyper space talking..... Atmos would sound amazing as the "hyperspace" overhead....... Hey SONOS.... see what I mean.... my Playbar and 2 Play Ones sound wonderful as surround but..... could sound better.....
Well plate tectonics theory may have just gone out of the window.... Sonos Amp looks an interesting prospect. Albeit we'll have to wait until December for it to launch, and to know whether multiple of them can be connected to support Dolby Atmos. This is very timely for me because I was dreading putting a bunch of Connect Amps in my new rack. It would be awesome if I also didn't have to get AV receivers for each room as well as Connects

Here's hoping...
Well plate tectonics theory may have just gone out of the window.... Sonos Amp looks an interesting prospect. Albeit we'll have to wait until December for it to launch, and to know whether multiple of them can be connected to support Dolby Atmos. This is very timely for me because I was dreading putting a bunch of Connect Amps in my new rack. It would be awesome if I also didn't have to get AV receivers for each room as well as Connects

Here's hoping...

Um, Sonos has already said that it supports DD 5.1, and has talked about all the possible configurations. Doesn't sound like you're going to get Atmos out of this, but things could change.
True, but it has also stated that it gets better with age, indicating that it whilst maybe it won't support this for launch, it maybe possible through firmware in the future. Also bearing in mind they're targetted the installer market, it would be a bit silly of them not to have thought about this. But yup, we'll see what happens
True, but it has also stated that it gets better with age, indicating that it whilst maybe it won't support this for launch, it maybe possible through firmware in the future. Also bearing in mind they're targetted the installer market, it would be a bit silly of them not to have thought about this. But yup, we'll see what happens

That's a good point.
Also, this: https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/29/sonos-releases-new-speaker-amp-partners-with-sonance-for-in-wall-speakers/?guccounter=1

If they're partnering with Sonance, then this is definitely on the table in my view!
So now that APPLE TV has released Dolby Atmos as their Audio format.. I’m back to “Stereo” instead of a 5.1 system? I’ve already lost my blu-Rays to DTS format. I’m so frustrated with this system I wish I never bought it! 😠
So now that APPLE TV has released Dolby Atmos as their Audio format.. I’m back to “Stereo” instead of a 5.1 system? I’ve already lost my blu-Rays to DTS format. I’m so frustrated with this system I wish I never bought it! :@

Atmos is purely optional. Set it to output DD 5.1 and you won't be "back to stereo". Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format, then select Dolby Digital 5.1.

Also, unless the Apple TV senses an Atmos capable setup, it isn't even offered as an option under "Atmospheric Audio". In other words, you are losing nothing.
Thanks for the reply. I think if the new movies are encoded in Atmos, than it will not switch to DD. I have my Apple TV set to DD 5.1 watching the new Jurassic World.. here is my setup

To be clear - I don’t care about Atmos. Or DTS. I just want a 5.1 DD theater for my movies. Simple as that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Ryan said about the beam "With HDMI-ARC, a handshake with your TV will assure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is sent for the best sound when your source is in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos."
So is this only true for the beam, or playbar & playbase as well, guess probably not as they use optical only?........
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Playbase/Playbar will get DD5.1 over optical for HDMI sources only if the TV permits it. If the TV does not permit it (eg my Samsung and my LG) then additional steps may be necessary (eg EDID faker or secret TV menus, for my TVs).
I’m late to this conversation but... In my view Sonos has been exploring Atmos support for their updated (Sonos will not comment on this as they will not discuss future or up coming products) PlayBar which is long over due for a technology update and even hardware. Upcoming Smart TVs and selected current generation Smart TVs are supporting Atmos because now Netflix (selected content) and Apple TV have Dolby Atmos support. I believe that for there’re “premium” customers that again the Ability to turn on Dolby Atmos by adding two Play 1’s as an example and mounting them over head. Dolby Atmos is quite possible in Sonos Products but only if a New PlayBar Comes out with HDMI support. I would mount two over head Play 1’s or Play 3’s to get Atmos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I’m late to this conversation but... In my view Sonos has been exploring Atmos support for their updated (Sonos will not comment on this as they will not discuss future or up coming products) PlayBar which is long over due for a technology update and even hardware. Upcoming Smart TVs and selected current generation Smart TVs are supporting Atmos because now Netflix (selected content) and Apple TV have Dolby Atmos support. I believe that for there’re “premium” customers that again the Ability to turn on Dolby Atmos by adding two Play 1’s as an example and mounting them over head. Dolby Atmos is quite possible in Sonos Products but only if a New PlayBar Comes out with HDMI support. I would mount two over head Play 1’s or Play 3’s to get Atmos. There is very little evidence that Sonos is interested in Atmos. In fact the contrary is more likely.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is very little evidence that Sonos is interested in Atmos. In fact the contrary is more likely.

They are very interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ae9n40/some_interesting_items_in_sonos_survey_today/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
They are very interested.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ae9n40/some_interesting_items_in_sonos_survey_today/

All this tells you is that Sonos is interested in finding out if customers are interested.

That it literally the same thing... As a company they only survive if they have products that their users want.
If they wanted nothing to do with Atmos they would not even ask the question.

Well, we're just arguing over semantics and the definition of 'interested' in this context, but it is literally not the same thing. Sonos might have absolutely no interest in implementing Atmos, but are performing customer research to validate this strategy. So, yes, they are 'interested' in the sense that they are testing customer demand, but might not be 'very interested' (as you initially stated) in implementing it.

Because A is interested in whether B is interested in C, does not mean that A is interested in C, per se.

Anyway, I have no 'interest' in this fight. I've opted not to use Sonos for home theatre. I just thought that your post might raise expectations in a way that is not actually justified by Sonos's actions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Because A is interested in whether B is interested in C, does not mean that A is interested in C, per se.

Anyway, I have no 'interest' in this fight. I've opted not to use Sonos for home theatre. I just thought that your post might raise expectations in a way that is not actually justified by Sonos's actions.

Eh? Definately A->C

Eh? Definately A->C

No, definitely market investigation.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Ergo, they're interested.

Look, anyone can read between the lines. Nobody has claimed that anything is definate, but if Sonos is asking people about this stuff than it's clearly not far off their strategy - if it isn't there already. The grumbling is growing louder, and it's not just Blu Ray enthusiasts who are getting upset, the streamers are running into problems too. If Sonos can sort out their codec support, they erase one of the last reasons why their home theater products wouldn't go to the top of the recommendation list every time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ergo, they're interested.

Look, anyone can read between the lines. Nobody has claimed that anything is definate, but if Sonos is asking people about this stuff than it's clearly not far off their strategy - if it isn't there already.

Sonos might equally be data gathering to confirm a strategic decision not to implement Atmos.