Dolby Atmos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Badge
Shame as looks like Atmos being broadcast for all UHD sports/movies on the Sky Q box...

Is this thread saying that the Sonos HW will never be capable of supporting Atmos or just that it could, but Sonos have made the concious decision not too yet...? (& could therefore develop & release as a future update?)
Yes, this thread is saying that, given the current (optical) connection. They would have to change that for it to be able to handle Atmos.
Badge
Ok thanks - so some sort of mod/extra piece of Sonos kit or an entirely new Playbar do you think?
Thanks in anticipation of your future plan in this direction.
I just pulled the trigger on an LG OLED65C7P with Atmos sound. I have SONOS audio all over the house but never hooked my TV/Surround system into it. I'm looking for the right audio system to go with it as my 5.1 with the old TV is pooched. The Playbar looks very long in the tooth and while I'd like the TV hooked into the audio system - it doesn't look like money well spent now. I'll hold off for a new Playbar with Atmos support - but I hope it will be soon in 2018...if it takes too long...I'll have to find another solution...maybe add a Connect to be able to put music through it.

I got a OLED65B7A this holiday season, which does not support Atmos, for a very simple reason in this thread: Sonos does not support Atoms and HDMI. My wiring is very typical: HDMI to TV, optics to soundbar. I doubt Sonos would make the Atoms happen without a new product. However, a product that solved this kind of backward compatibility issues would sell.
Just like 4K being few and far between, Atmos will soon be everywhere and the norm. All in time...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos CEO told someone in September that they are actively looking into incorporating Atmos. There was a Reddit thread on it.
According to the information here: https://www.lifewire.com/digital-optical-connection-1846881

It is important to note that digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections - These formats require HDMI connections.

Which means that if indeed Sonos is looking at it, they're looking at a new device that has HDMI, and none of us who have PLAYBARs or PLAYBASEs will be able to play without a replacement device.
This is the reason I use the Sonos System ONLY for Music. I have a Receiver and wired speakers to get all the toys that Movie Media has to offer. I came to this site to see if I could use Sonos for everything and sadly I cannot. Only music, which is fine with me. I'll keep checking though to see what the future offers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A little outdated comment in that we know an hdmi capable playbar is getting announced in June.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I cannot wait, I sold my playbar few years ago.i still love Sonos just been waiting for an update I hope this is it I'll gladly ditch my receiver setup and wires for an updated playbar that can do true 5.1 I don't even care about Atmos that would just be icing on the cake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What does "true 5.1" mean?? The Playbar/bases already do that.