Question

Disconnect AMP’s (HDMI) ARC

• 14 March 2019
  • 7 replies

How to switch on and off the input from TV connected with HDMI ARC?

My Sony AF8 has a brilliant sound - so I want to be able to easily switch from AMP sound to TV sound - but it seems not to be possible.
Unless pulling out the HDMI cable.

Is it really true - that there is no simple functionality to solve this?
If so when will will the App and the AMP software be updated?

Otherwise really happy with the new AMP ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

That's a function of the TV, not the Beam. There should be an Audio menu on the TV that lets you turn off the ARC and turn on the internal speakers.
In the Sonos app, you can just press the play/pause/stop button, or mute the volume. Within your TV settings, you should be able turn off Bravia-link ( or whatever CEC audio controls are called on your TV) and turn on your TV speakers. You probably can set it so both Bravial link- Amp AND TV speakers are on all the time, and you simply mute whichever one you don't want to listen to at that time.
Thanks- but I have no Beam. I just have the AMP (connected to my analog speakers and the ARC HDMI connected to the TV)
I have tried several of times to set the TV to internal sound but it keeps popping back to the AMP’s sound.
(I believe the ARC overrule everything??)
You have to turn off the ARC/CEC on the TV before switching speakers.
As an aside, I've had 5.1/5.1 surrounds setups for 18 years and I've never turned on the TV speakers once in all that time. No matter how "brilliant" the TV sound, I've never had the urge to turn it on because the surrounds is far superior. This may be the thinking when TV manufacturers make it so difficult to switch from external audio to internal speakers.
As an aside, I've had 5.1/5.1 surrounds setups for 18 years and I've never turned on the TV speakers once in all that time. No matter how "brilliant" the TV sound, I've never had the urge to turn it on because the surrounds is far superior. This may be the thinking when TV manufacturers make it so difficult to switch from external audio to internal speakers.

The only exception to the this rule I've found is when using a TV outdoors, and the external speakers are not located in the left and right speakers. In my home, the TV speakers are not located anywhere near each other, so I typically have internal and external on at the same time.

Many thanks for your replies.

Actually the sound from Sony AF8 is pretty good 😳 - far better than other 2018 TVs on the market.
However, this tread is about the new AMP's functionallty and not a TV discussion.

I have tried to turn off ARC/CEC on the TV - so perhaps this query belongs to Sony's community instead.
So until then, or a new feature on Sonos app and/ in the AMP - I believe I have to unplug the HDMI (ARC) - pretty neat, Not!