Digital volume indicator on Playbar.

• 14 April 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Too late for my Playbar I appreciate, but I do miss some form of digital volume indication. My TV doesn't show it so I think it would be really useful option to have a digital indication of the volume level on the front of the Playbar. Thought they could have added this to the new Playbase.
Not too difficult to incorporate I would have thought and there could always be the option to disable it for those who wanted to.
Of course it may not be an issue for many, but just a thought!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +1
Unless the physical connection is changed for S/PDIF to something that would allow for messaging between the playbase and the TV, there is no way for Sonos to determine the specific TV's volume codes. The compounding fact also then seems to be that when the internal speakers are disabled on the TV, many will not show an on-screen volume indicator.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Although I'm not familiar with what might be needed to provide this facility, to me it doesn't seem to much to ask for a premium product. After all I do get a white light at the front when I raise the volume!
Badge +1
The connection to the Playbar/base is a one way road due to the singular S/PDIF input. Some TV's can display volume levels if you have the remote also matched to the TV and have the TV speakers off. The Playbase has no direct ability to display any information without a hardware change. The other soundbars you referenced were likely connected via HDMI and/or ARC. My TV will show a "+" and "-" when the remote volume used, but no actual numerical volume level. I have managed to get over it so far.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for that. At least I'm not alone!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Too late for my Playbar I appreciate, but I do miss some form of digital volume indication. My TV doesn't show it so I think it would be really useful option to have a digital indication of the volume level on the front of the Playbar. Thought they could have added this to the new Playbase.
Not too difficult to incorporate I would have thought and there could always be the option to disable it for those who wanted to.
Of course it may not be an issue for many, but just a thought!

I agree. My previous 2 playbars (Vizio & Sony) both had that feature.