Denon Heos Bar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
yup that is why said might
Badge
The comparisons that I have seen say that the Heos Bar is far superior to the PlayBar. Most stores and installers who have experience with both will tell you the same. The main thing to consider is whether you want to use the Heos app, which has been crippled by the Sonos lawsuit. Also, Sonos is asking the court to stop sales of infringing Heos products. Courts don't generally do that, instead opting to make them pay a hefty fee instead. But it remains a possibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was under the impression pairing surrounds with heos was clunky.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Actually it is pretty easy like sonos. Not clunky at all. And it does sound nice in 5.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I stand corrected then. Maybe it was early on that people were having trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm probably thinking of the HS2 older model.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
If 'flood' means more than normal, sure. However, it's not going to trigger all customers to up and sell there playbar/playbase for this new device. I'm sure there are plenty that are perfectly happy with what they have.
Then there are those that may not want to make a purchase right now. Depending on features, I might be in that category. Even if I did purchase, I won't be selling, I'll move my playbar to a different tv.
I could be off on this, but I also don't think people in general are all that comfortable with selling off ebay and the like. To those that do, it's a no brainer. To other's there's a mental hurdle to get over.

i suppose you are right, but what is Sonos strategy? Why add HDMI, all of the sudden? Many competitors had this a long while ago, and Sonos did not respond. And still, they took a big piece of market pie. How will they advertise the new Playbar One/Playbase One? "Every thing you love about our products, plus HDMI?"

IMHO, HDMI is not the essential thing for Sonos to be up there with the best.

Neven

HDMI gives sonos the ability to add Dolby Atmos format. Which is the way home theater is going. A lot of other that had hdmi only support dts which was not a huge difference from optical performance with HT. So Sonos was able to stay competitive without HDMI. But now they need HDMI. Sonos need to add support for the new ATMOS standard. Or they will be left behind when ATMOS becomes the mainstay for HT. It might also allow for 7.1 setup.

I guess so, will have to wait and see.

Thanks

Neven
I doubt adding hdmi is the only motivation for Sonos to come out with the new product. Voice control will surely be a big selling point for a lot of consumers. I'm sure they also will have a design change that will attract attention. And back on hdmi, it seems like this is a good time to come out with a new product to tack advantage of the latest standards without a lot of concern of becoming obsolete rather quickly.

Really though, I think voice control may be the most important thing. The smart speaker/ voice assistant market is still being established. If you don't make a strong push now, there's a good chance you get squeezed out the market, even if you come up with a stronger product later on.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I doubt adding hdmi is the only motivation for Sonos to come out with the new product. Voice control will surely be a big selling point for a lot of consumers. I'm sure they also will have a design change that will attract attention. And back on hdmi, it seems like this is a good time to come out with a new product to tack advantage of the latest standards without a lot of concern of becoming obsolete rather quickly.

Really though, I think voice control may be the most important thing. The smart speaker/ voice assistant market is still being established. If you don't make a strong push now, there's a good chance you get squeezed out the market, even if you come up with a stronger product later on.

I see your point. So, if the new playbar will be allexa driven and I buy it, does it mean I will be able to control my 2 play 3’s as well?
Neven
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I see your point. So, if the new playbar will be allexa driven and I buy it, does it mean I will be able to control my 2 play 3’s as well?
Neven

Yes
Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Neven

Yes

Thanks for the info
Neven
June 6th event for announcing the new theater speaker.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/3/17314980/sonos-2018-event-date-announced-new-playbar-playbase