Delay compensation when used with AV receivers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

144 replies

Userlevel 2
Had the same problem with a Harman Kardon amp. Ditched the amp, kept the Sonos... 😉
Userlevel 2
I have a Pioneer VSX-920 AV receiver that is totally out of sync with my other 3 zones (1 x S5, 2 x ZP80's, 1 x ZP120).

I've tried plugging the ZP80 in using analogue cables with the Pioneer set to Pure Direct and Direct - but the delay still exists and means I have to drop it out when having a party - because it just sounds too bad

I'm just about to buy a DAC (DACMagic) for another zone and am worried the same thing is going to happen - and I might end up with 2 out of 4 zones being out of sync...

Now linking Zones for me was one of the reasons for investing in Sonos - and this is no longer possible..

As a new feature, it would be great to use the zone with the greatest delay as a baseline and then add a small amount of delay to each of the other zones - so they all end up being in sync.

There must be a way to add a delay to each zone player - and as a user I'd be quite competent at manually adjusting the delay to get the perfect sync using my good old ears

I would love this feature added - as I feel sad that I once had the perfectly sync'd house - but now this is no longer the case
Badge
I too am having the same issue with zp90 connected to pioneer Vsx-1120 receiver. Not good at all in party mode. The echo is pretty bad.

My receiver is slightly behind the other zones so a delay setting at the receiver seems to make things worse. At least in my case.

Please fix Sonos!!!!. All other zones are great but the zp90 used with other zones pretty much sucks.

Thx
Userlevel 2
Badge
My receiver is slightly behind the other zones so a delay setting at the receiver seems to make things worse. At least in my case.

Unless I'm mistaken, everyone in this thread is in the same situation you're describing. I don't think anyone is contemplating a delay at the receiver, what we're saying is that inputting the receiver's delay as a variable of that zone would allow every OTHER zone to adopt a corresponding delay.

It can never be the case that a receiver would be ahead of the rest of the zones since Sonos is synced to have the same noise exit each unit at the same time, so the receiver would have to be playing the sound before the Sonos sent it over. Predictive Audio! 🙂
+1 vote.

Returned a new Yamaha AV unit yesterday because the sync issue was intolerable.

The replacement Denon (2312CI) is much better on Straight/Pure Direct but still very bad on any other mode that utilized the sub and surround.

Delay feature.. a must-have!
Userlevel 2
Ditto. Have 3 x S5's, 2 x ZP90's (one connected to Sony TV speakers, and one to a Surround Sound system). In party mode, the two ZP90's are out by about the same (a fraction of a second...whatever that is), and result in the same echo everyone else is getting.

Come on Sonos - it's a great system...this would make it perfect. Any chance of an early Christmas present ? 😉
Userlevel 2
I NOW have the same issue but It worked fine before I connected an optical cable so back to phonos for me.

This is with a ZP90 and Onkyo 876
Badge
I NOW have the same issue but It worked fine before I connected an optical cable so back to phonos for me.

This is with a ZP90 and Onkyo 876

My setup is via optical as well. I haven't tried regular RCA connections to see if the problem is still there.

Is anyone connected via RCA having this issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge
My setup is via optical as well. I haven't tried regular RCA connections to see if the problem is still there.

Is anyone connected via RCA having this issue?

Yes, every time I've had this issue it's been via RCA. I rarely use the optical outs on the Sonos for that matter.

The delays I've seen have come from processing by the receiver, so it's not surprising that decoding an optical signal would add some time to that (compared to the other zones which are simply sending electrical impulses straight to the drivers in the speakers) but signal processing of any sort in the receiver will cause the delay.

Some receivers (as has been mentioned elsewhere) allow a stripped down mode that eliminates such processing, but not all do, and it doesn't always resolve the problem. The delay being proposed would solve the problem 100% of the time.
Userlevel 2
+1 for this feature request from me
Userlevel 2
If I set my av amp to stereo or direct its fine but if I ask it to do any processing its out of sync.
+1 from me.

A user-definable delay should not be hard to do. As others have pointed out, this already occurs internally as the Sonos jiggles the mesh network between devices to sync the sound in a group.

It drives me nuts with my Yamaha RX-A3000 in party mode and the approx 300ms delay it introduces. Direct sort of works, but I want to use all 5 speakers and the sub for general low-level listening throughout the house + plus the S5.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me as well.

All modern amps introduce a delay of some magnitude so I feel this is a feature that should really be already incorporated for the trumped party feature.

Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Another +1.

Just finished setting up my system for the first time, 1 x Play5, 2 x Play 3, 1 x Connect through a home theatre system.. set them all to party mode and immediately noticed the delay/lag introduced by the home theatre systems audio processing when compared to the other units..

Turned off the processing as best I could on the home theatre.. (however I don't think I can turn it completely off)..

Went straight into the Sonos software to look for the delay compensation values... oh wait, it turns out that it doesn't offer that :-(

Now I'm aware it isn't the Sonos systems fault, but I honestly would have expected some manual delay compensation in the software!

I suspect I'll either have to throw out the brand new Connect.. or the Home Theatre, because the echo is pretty disturbing/disorienting in party mode.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Another +1 from me.

Received my new Yamaha RX-A1010 yesterday, and as I expected after reading this thread, and in particular rune's Yamaha experience (post #16), there is an objectionable echo. This arises when the Living Room ZP90's digital output is routed into the new AV Receiver for decoding, and then this zone is linked with the adjacent Computer Room ZP120.

Curiously, unlike davey400 (post #41), my old Harman Kardon AVR4500 was OK in this situation.

Might be able to get round this by running an analogue stereo RCA pair to a 2nd Audio In on the RX-A1010, with it setup for 2ch Stereo and Direct. But as rune has said earlier, this might mess up my plan to bi-amp the front speakers. Quality listening would be via the optical connection, with this analogue alternative exclusively for Party Time!

Does anyone, particularly Yamaha users, have any comments or a fix for this?

An expensive workaround would be to add a stereo pair of Play:3s into the open plan Dining Room, and use these for parties. Come on Sonos, I should not need to do this!

BTW, this delay feature request seems important enough and relatively easy to implement in software, that surely Sonos must eventually react?
Userlevel 2
+1

Same problem with Bose V35...

Sonos update please !!!
Just added the Peachtree Decco2 with a ZP90 to my basement. And damn.. creating a house echo chamber!

My lovely Sonos is slowly disintegrating.

C'mon So-nono-s, not asking for fancy new features here.