Answered

Dedicated Home Theatre room wifi question

• 9 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi All

I have a dedicated home theatre room in our home and am setting up the surround sound with sonos.

i will buy an arc, 2 play 1’s for rears and the sub.  The room has a cat5 connection to a router which connects to the modem.

I am wondering how best to set up the wifi in that room as a dedicated new network just for the home theatre components.  I dont want it to connect to the rest of the home.

I am not very savy when it comes to wifi.  I was thinking of setting up a WAP in the room which connects to the router and will broadcast a dedicated wifi signal : named Theatre room.  Then have all the sonos products in the room use this wifi network.  Will that work? any recommendations on which WAP to use?  is there a better setup that i should consider?

Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by ratty 9 September 2022, 19:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I am not sure why you want to do this.  What do you hope to achieve?  The only Sonos device that would use that network would be the Arc.  The Sub and surrounds are, in effect, “slaves” of the Arc and all communications within the home theatre system use direst routing using the 5GHz band, not your WiFi.

If you genuinely set it up as a different network, with the WAP acting as a DHCP server, you are creating opportunities for things to go wrong.  And you are probably going to have problems  connecting controller devices to the right network.

I just would not do this.  It is a solution looking for a problem.

i was just thinking that a dedicated network would be best for that room so that i doesnt have any interference from other devices on the network.  

If people are upstairs streaming and listening to music on the regular network aswell as streaming and watching a movie in the theatre room that it might be too much on the network.

so what would you suggest doing?  setting up a WAP in that room that is connected to the main wifi network?  I thought sonos boost set up a separate network for your sonos speakers and was the best option hence why i was thinking along these lines.

In the theatre room it’s the device which fetches the movie stream which needs the bandwidth, not Sonos. If you’re concerned, either wire that video device to the network or connect it wirelessly to the local AP, which in turn has a wired connection back to the router.

I don’t even imagine how to do that.