Answered

Creating 5.1 Channel Home Theater Using Sonos Products

• 10 March 2020
  • 2 replies

Is it possible to create a 5.1 channel smart home theater using Sonos Play Bar, Sub and 2 Sonos Play 5 and primarily connect it with TV? I have read some post, which indicates that using such setup with TV is not advisable while using it for audio only is fine. Is that true? If that is so, can you please suggest how can I create a smart home theater using Sonos  products considering my usage is not for audio but primarily for watching TV/Video.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 March 2020, 13:53

Is it possible to create a 5.1 channel smart home theater using Sonos Play Bar, Sub and 2 Sonos Play 5 and primarily connect it with TV? I have read some post, which indicates that using such setup with TV is not advisable while using it for audio only is fine. Is that true? If that is so, can you please suggest how can I create a smart home theater using Sonos  products considering my usage is not for audio but primarily for watching TV/Video.

Use those speakers for 5.1 will work for TV just fine, but using the play:5s for surround sounds is generally considered to be overkill.  It makes more sense to use Sonos Ones, Sonos One SLs, or even a pair of the ikea branded Sonos speakers for the surround speaker role.

View original

2 replies

Use those speakers for 5.1 will work for TV just fine, but using the play:5s for surround sounds is generally considered to be overkill.  It makes more sense to use Sonos Ones, Sonos One SLs, or even a pair of the ikea branded Sonos speakers for the surround speaker role.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You will get surround sound only with Dolby Digital 5.1 signals.

If your TV channels (like in Italy) are stereo, you will get sound only from the playbar.