Convince me to buy Sonos Playbar over Bose 300

• 21 April 2017
  • 69 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Badge +3
I'd say if you want your TV sound system to last and work with the latest DD what ever that might be, go with Bose. I know everyone says sonos is great at supporting old features and connectivity but in the end the current playbar/playbase are outdated in terms of connectivity. Anything higher than standard DD 5.1 seems to be converted down to 2.1. I'm sure or at least hope the next gen of playbar/playbase will come with a HDMI port but right now you're paying a premium for an outdated piece of equipment which should really be good for the next 5 years. Having said that, if you're only looking for 2.1 - you should be fine.
Sonos vs Bose 300. I have a recording studio in my basement. I've traveled and have been in front of a console/mixing board mixing for so many bands and on different equipment. So I'll give you my opinion and hear me out. I bought the Bose because quite frankly the technology and engineering is incredible. I get the system home and the overall sound is beyond belief....for the most part. I compare it to buying a brand new vehicle. You spend all of this money and it doesn't have Bluetooth. You are amazed because there can be no reason for NOT having a Bluetooth! Ha! The deep frequency response from the sub is everything you could want. It's thunderous and tight. The sound bar has all of this sound dispersing from everywhere and it's full of energy! After sitting the system up, my wife and I were watching everything we could in order to enjoy the full dynamic sound of the Bose 300 system. As we continued watching and listening, we both were having extreme difficulty hearing the voices with clarity. For me, it seemed like the voices were missing something from 4k-8k. In my mixes, I boost around 10-12k in order to provide some shimmering high end. Regardless, the bar was a little boxy which led my wife and I to cup our hands around our ears (like you are leaning in to hear something). We ended up taking the Bose back.

We bought the Sonos Playbar with the sub. The Sonos is much clearer than the Bose 300 bar. However, that's really the only thing better. The Bose has more energy, much better sub response, more dynamic and disperses wider than the Sonos. I spent quite a while moving the Sonos sub around to find where it sounded best. The Bose sub, I really didn't have to anything.

As far as features....It's nice to have features as these products do and you want them as well. But it really is crazy that I am sticking with a product like Sonos when in general the Bose is a great product because there isn't any way to really get that edge on the 300. I've not had any issues with the Sonos and many of the issues I read prior have been fixed with the updates. Just one guys humble opinion.
Hi IBGMiGuy,

I have both Sonos and Bose in my home for several years. For clarity and ease of use, I choose Bose hands down. I bought three Sonos Play:5 speakers in 2010 to have wireless music throughout my home. Never had to call for help but do have to reboot the computer sometimes to clear up issues. Before I bought the Bose for surround sound, I did alot of research on various sytems, including Sonos. I liked the thought of being able to use the soundbar with the rest of the Sonos system. Then I found out about not being able to get true surround sound with it and that changed my mind. I went with the Bose and am very happy with it. I hope you get it worked out.
"and if the Playbar/Playbase decoded DTS then things would undoubtebly be very, very much simpler for pretty much everybody"

I just don't agree with this statement. And clearly neither do Sonos as they have stated that their research shows that the vast majority of video sources watched via Sonos do NOT have DTS or at least DTS exclusively.
For me, I used to have a Blu-Ray DVD player and now have an Xbox. Even though I do have Blu-rays I have NEVER once either wanted or needed to be able to decode a DTS soundtrack.

If the inability of the Playbar to decode DTS were a significant downward pressure on sales you can bet Sonos would address it.

I think that Sonos not supporting DTS is a major downside. Heck, they don't even support LPCM 5.1, which wouldn't entail a licensing fee.

If I knew that getting 5.1 to work well with sonos would be a constant headache, then I would have went with a different surround system. Yes, some streaming apps like Dolby, but some now are leaning toward dolby plus, which Sonos doesn't support.

Having to get a specific and sometimes hard to identify blueray player isn't a superb solution. I know sonos has stated they don't care about non-streaming sources, but I just kind of expected it to work for the high cost. It's not like their marketing material makes the distinction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I paid £50 for our Samsung Blu-ray player, no big deal in the grand scheme of things.. Found it within 30 seconds.of logging onto the "bay"..
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'd recommend two things:

1) Keep audio and video systems requirements separate. Very rarely is the best music solution also the best TV sound solution.

2) From the choice of these, take the Bose - purely for DTS support.

For the money though, I wouldn't buy either, I'd go with a Denon AV receiver and separate speakers.

1) Keep audio and video systems requirements separate. Very rarely is the best music solution also the best TV sound solution.

I agree;

Further, for pure audio/music, Sonos is a no audible compromises solution, even compared to others at any price point for any home - with its Connect interface, Sonos can integrate even the USD 50K + set ups that have monster speakers that are taller than most people. And have these play in perfect sync with a play 1 unit stashed in a small room in the same home - if required.

For video on the other hand, apart from the format issues, Sonos offers the compromised solution needed to deliver the benefits of reduced clutter/footprint/cabling. Almost any decent AV receiver, wired to a minimum of 5.1 quality speakers, will deliver better sound for TV/Movies, as close to the multiplex as possible in the home. The price to pay would be wires running to all speakers, including the surround pair at the rear. But running in stereo 2.0 mode, or 2.1 mode if possible, this set up would also sound better for music than the Sonos playbar/base solution.
I have 2 play 1 and 2 player 5. Currently considering a soundbar. I have the same question regarding if I should buy Bose 300 or Sonos. I tried demo in the store for both and both sound nice. I like Bose has bluetooth. But if I bought Sonos, I could have the surrounding system when I connect my players. I feel like being tied up...
My $0.02. I own many sonos products for music streaming and do believe they are the most complete solution for this application. I also have two home theater set ups (neither uses a soundbar). I have considered converting one of the setups to a sound bar with surround speakers (for aesthetics). Looking at current options, I have not made this switch. Regardless, I have looked at the options and I think Sonos dropped the ball with playbase and playbar.

1) audio connection is via optical output. Their competition (Bose, Polk, Yamaha, Paradigm) support HDMI with audio return channel (ARC) and CEC. HDMI is a superior connection and with CEC capability the sound at would only be enabled when you wanted it.
2) Sonos relies on TVs optical output transmitting Dolby digital 5.1. FYI: some TVs convet Dolby digital 5.1 to 2.0 PCM on the optical output. Since Sonos only support optical output you may be limited to stereo output.
3) No Dolby pro logic. Sonos uses a proprietary algorithm for stereo to multichannel output. Since most of the output will be stereo (see comment #2) you will be relying on Sonos’s algorithms for surround sound. This is not necessarily a negative but an unknown. I have no idea if Sonos propriety algorithm conveys effective surround.
4) TOSLINK only support DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1. If you want uncompressed (e.g Dolby truadio) or Dolby atmos you are out of luck. FYI: This comment applies to Sonos and its’ playbar competition.

For me personally, I have multiple home theater receivers so I know the limitations of soudbars. However if you are considering a sound bar due to the high WAF (wife acceptance factor), do your research. If your TV outputs DD 5.1 the Sonos May make you very happy. If. It does not or you are looking for future capabilities (7.1, atmos, etc...) look elsewhere.

If you are looking for music capability. Stop buy Sonos.
Like someone else said in a much earlier reply, happy customers dont post in the community that often. I am a happy customer of sonos products for a long time now, probably about 8-10 years. Lets start with the angst. The only thing i wish there was more support for is higher surround sound profiles but thats from a GAS outlook, in reality the basic surround sound is sufficient and if i was inclined to purchase equipment that gave me the higher profiles i would ask myself at what cost and what sychronisation loss? The main reason for sonos is sychronisation and the fact that it bridges other gaps is a bonus. The hardware is top notch, the software is top notch and 99% bulletproof. The support is second to none, ignore the endless online posts, all you need to do is raise a support query and the ball will roll. Yes the lack of inputs apart from on the play5 and connect are a pity but thats where the strength of your wifi router and wifi mobile device comes into play, nuff said. As for wiring your entire house to accomodate a sonos system, nonsense to put it bluntly, i live in an old stone house built in 1880 with solid stone walls and all i needed in one part of the house was a sonos bridge and that was the old bridge, the new bridge is miles better and now i can get sonos wirelessly in the garage! The sonos mesh wireless works extermely well in my home with a ton of other electrical appliances and wifi devices messing up the airwaves. I dont mind saying im an advocate for sonos but i also dont mind saying that i have been put off buying more because of the increase in prices, the sub and bar have gone up an extra £100! Building a system under the new aggressive price range is growing to be too much!

NOTE1: only one of four friends appears to have Sonos working reliably (probably because they have just a Playbar located right next the wifi router and only play Spotify or their phone content).

NOTE2: it's all about the customer support, and the large number of customers with unresolved issues on this forum suggests this is not a priority for Sonos.

#KeepItSimple

P.S. I'm now saving up to hardwire the house, thus am willing to sell all of my four month old Sonos equipment at pre-March prices ;-)
You cant blame sonos for your poor WiFi signal
How does the Playbase go with DTS-HD and TrueHD, the missing HDMI is only reason I holding off with Playbase, would I notice any difference without it? It sounds great in store, wondering if I should keep holding off for playbase with hdmi (hopefully not too far away)
Buy Bose.
Sonos just appears to stop working randomly.
Surf the net. Check other peoples forums.
But Sonos has epic software issues despite a great sound if (and it is a big IF) you can ever get it to work AND to stay working consistently.

I agree I sold my Playbar Sub due to frustration, sub not found play 1 not found, etc etc but when all was going Awesome
Sonos are a clear leader in the innovation of multi room and have shaken up those such as Bose. Looks like Bose have been struggling to understand and adapt to that (and there'll undoubtedly be more from Sonos and others.)

What Sonos seem to have done well is capture the multi-room idea and have created a very cool and flexible system.
They have done a good job of the apps and software and clearly have created quality soundgear.

Bose have not adapted well, have not done well with their software (usability nor quality, from what I can make out). They are a solid performer over many years but are seen as dated and standing on their laurels from the past. Will they survive?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I can't fault our Sonos multiroom setup for music (apart from the Deezer outage) but I wish they would bring out a "breakout box" for the Playbar/ Playbase.

A box that can be updated to decode DTS/ Atmos etc and pass through 5.1 info to the Playbar. Could use the LAN connection, would have HDMI port etc.

I have a lot of money in our 5.1 Setup alone, holding out on buying a new TV just because if I get it wrong it will cripple our Playbar Home Theatre setup.

Samsung are stopping production of their Blu-ray players, I use one of these as it decodes DTS to DD5.1 on the fly and it does the same for Netflix as well via its app. With the convenience gone I'd have a ton of money in a Stereo setup.

As said above, it's ironic what people have come up with to get around the "simplicity" of the optical input on Playbar, HDMI switches with optical pass though etc..

I spent hours with EDID emulators to get our setup to pass through 5.1 seamlessly, my family don't want to be messing around with multiple controllers and menus, just turn the TV on and go..

No doubt this will fall on deaf ears but a breakout box with DTS Atmos decoding/ transcoding would be godsend for many Playbar / Playbase users.

Would be a shame to see a new TV causing the death of our Sonos HT but I don't think I've the time or patience to wrestle with it all again, shame as the hardware really is top notch.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I can't fault our Sonos multiroom setup for music (apart from the Deezer outage) but I wish they would bring out a "breakout box" for the Playbar/ Playbase.

A box that can be updated to decode DTS/ Atmos etc and pass through 5.1 info to the Playbar. Could use the LAN connection, would have HDMI port etc.

I have a lot of money in our 5.1 Setup alone, holding out on buying a new TV just because if I get it wrong it will cripple our Playbar Home Theatre setup.

Samsung are stopping production of their Blu-ray players, I use one of these as it decodes DTS to DD5.1 on the fly and it does the same for Netflix as well via its app. With the convenience gone I'd have a ton of money in a Stereo setup.

Which Samsung Bluray player are you using, could you share pls?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I use a Samsung bd-h6500 at the moment but that is not native 4k, will be buying a newer version while there are some still available.
Thanks Keith, will have a look