Question

Convert Any Audio to DD 5.1

• 13 August 2017
  • 8 replies

This is not to get into the debate of why Sonos created a home theater system that only supports a codec that a minority of the market uses. I love the system overall, but I do find the way it handles so round sound to be really frustrating and un-sonos.

Anyway, before I invest in the sub I wanted to know if a device exists that will take whatever codec its fed and trans-code to DD 5.1. Ideally, it would go TV->HDMI to Magic Device -> Optical to Playbar.

This device would basically just detect whatever it's being fed and spit out DD. I know this can be done on some dvd players, but that seems like it's just for the DVD player. I'd like this to work on any device. For example, I just discovered that my switch outputs PCM 5.1, which, of course, Sonos can't handle.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

This is not to get into the debate of why Sonos created a home theater system that only supports a codec that a minority of the market uses. I love the system overall, but I do find the way it handles so round sound to be really frustrating and un-sonos.

Anyway, before I invest in the sub I wanted to know if a device exists that will take whatever codec its fed and trans-code to DD 5.1. Ideally, it would go TV->HDMI to Magic Device -> Optical to Playbar.

This device would basically just detect whatever it's being fed and spit out DD. I know this can be done on some dvd players, but that seems like it's just for the DVD player. I'd like this to work on any device. For example, I just discovered that my switch outputs PCM 5.1, which, of course, Sonos can't handle.

I believe what you would be looking for exists in the form of a home theater receiver.
A Sony PlayStation or Microsoft Xbox can also be used for on the fly transcoding.
A Sony PlayStation or Microsoft Xbox can also be used for on the fly transcoding.

Have you got the PS4 to actually do that? No matter what I do I don't end up with dolby on the sonos system when I'm going PS 4 HDMI -> tv -> Sonos. The TV will pass dolby 5.1 down the optical.
Configuring your PlayStation 4

Access “Settings” by scrolling to the top right with your PS4 remote.
Select “Sound and Screen.”
Select “Audio Output Settings.”
Select “Primary Output Port.”
Select “HDMI Out.”
Set the “Audio Format (Priority)” to “Bitstream (Dolby).”

Source: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3837/kw/playstation%203
Configuring your PlayStation 4

Access “Settings” by scrolling to the top right with your PS4 remote.
Select “Sound and Screen.”
Select “Audio Output Settings.”
Select “Primary Output Port.”
Select “HDMI Out.”
Set the “Audio Format (Priority)” to “Bitstream (Dolby).”

Source: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3837/kw/playstation%203

Sadly, this doesn't work. I think it has something to do with it passing over HDMI, but I'm not sure. I don't think it's Sonos' fault though.

I guess there's no real good way to make Sonos reliably do 5.1. I wish I knew about the severe limitation before getting the playbar, but that's life. I'm glad I figured it out before trying to get a sub.
Is the optical cable which goes into your Playbar connected to your tv or your PS4?
PS4 is HDMI to the TV. TV is optical to the Sonos. I think it would probably work if it were a direct connection to the Sonos, but then the amazon fire stick wouldn't, nor the Nintendo Switch. I could get an optical switch too, but that adds complexity and another remote, which I might do. Just a convoluted thing for a system that's supposed to be "simple" and "just work".
Just a convoluted thing for a system that's supposed to be "simple" and "just work".

I totally agree. Even if Sonos came up with an integrated solution (I honestly don't think it's ever gonna happen) it would probably be already outdated by the time of arrival.