Answered

Connecting two Fives to soundbar

Hello,

We’ve collected Sonos speakers over the course of a few years and ended up with two fives in stereo and two rear-facing ones in stereo. As I understand there is no way to make the front facing fives part of the 5.1 channel that the soundbar + 1’s + sub would create, correct? Is there any way to accommodate them? We really like the 5’s for listening to music, but the 1’s are not a true rear surround now while watching movies. I know we should have done our homework more, but we slowly acquired these overtime and recently moved, which yielded us a very large common space that contains all of these speakers.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 June 2022, 15:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hello,

We’ve collected Sonos speakers over the course of a few years and ended up with two fives in stereo and two rear-facing ones in stereo. As I understand there is no way to make the front facing fives part of the 5.1 channel that the soundbar + 1’s + sub would create, correct?

Correct.

Is there any way to accommodate them? We really like the 5’s for listening to music, but the 1’s are not a true rear surround now while watching movies. I know we should have done our homework more, but we slowly acquired these overtime and recently moved, which yielded us a very large common space that contains all of these speakers.

Some people, myself included, have setup one Sonos room for TV watching ( soundbar +surrounds+ sub) and sonos room for music (pair of Fives) in the same room.

Another option is to set your soundbar/room setting to full stereo when playing music, so that the soundbar and rear play music in stereo.  Then you could move your other pair of speakers to another room.

Thank you for the info! Do you know if there is any talk of allowing for a 7:1 setup? I really don’t think i’ll purchase a soundbar unless that happens as I can get away with just airplaying for TV usage.

There are no rumors to that effect.  And IMO, if Sonos were to do something like that, they would go with 4 surround channels rather than 2 additional/wide front channels.  

I think you might be thinking more of a 5.1 setup that uses separate front LCR, rather than al 3 channels in a soundbar.  I tend to think that if that would happen, they would create a new hardware product connect to TV that either has no built in speakers, sends audio to other speakers, or is just a center speaker. But that’s just my opinion, and as I said, there are no rumors around this.

Thank you for the info! Do you know if there is any talk of allowing for a 7:1 setup? I really don’t think i’ll purchase a soundbar unless that happens as I can get away with just airplaying for TV usage.