Answered

Connecting TV and Connect (Outdoor Setup)

• 8 May 2020
  • 3 replies

I currently have a gen 2 Connect hooked up to an external amp that is wired to two outdoor speakers on my back patio.  I am trying to figure out if there is anyway I can pull my TV into this “setup”.  Could I add a Beam or Playbar to tie it together?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 8 May 2020, 16:55

I currently have a gen 2 Connect hooked up to an external amp that is wired to two outdoor speakers on my back patio.  I am trying to figure out if there is anyway I can pull my TV into this “setup”.  Could I add a Beam or Playbar to tie it together?

There’s two good options to do this.  The first is to connect your TV ‘s audio output to an input on your external amp directly (assuming your amp has more than one input)  You can then use your amp to switch between Sonos audio and TV audio.  You  can’t connect the TV to the Connect as that will create a lip sync issue.  The downside to this is that you can use the Sonos app to control the volume when listen to TV audio, you’ll need to use the amp’s volume control.  I used to have this setup and was somewhat happy with it, it’s the volume control that was the big drawback

The other option is to replace the Connect and external amp with a Sonos Amp.  You can connect the TV directly to the Amp via HDMI-ARC or optical cable, and you can use the Sonos app to control streaming or switch to TV, and control volume.  Much easier solution.  The downside here is the cost, but perhaps you can offset that by selling your Connect and amp, or using elsewhere?

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There’s two good options to do this.  The first is to connect your TV ‘s audio output to an input on your external amp directly (assuming your amp has more than one input)  You can then use your amp to switch between Sonos audio and TV audio.  You  can’t connect the TV to the Connect as that will create a lip sync issue.  The downside to this is that you can use the Sonos app to control the volume when listen to TV audio, you’ll need to use the amp’s volume control.  I used to have this setup and was somewhat happy with it, it’s the volume control that was the big drawback

The other option is to replace the Connect and external amp with a Sonos Amp.  You can connect the TV directly to the Amp via HDMI-ARC or optical cable, and you can use the Sonos app to control streaming or switch to TV, and control volume.  Much easier solution.  The downside here is the cost, but perhaps you can offset that by selling your Connect and amp, or using elsewhere?

Thank you for the answer.  So I guess adding in the Playbar or Beam doesn’t help the situation at all?

Thank you for the answer.  So I guess adding in the Playbar or Beam doesn’t help the situation at all?

Not really. While both the playbar and beam can connect to your TV and play the audio in sync with the video of your TV, they are not rated for outdoor use, and don’t have a way to get the TV audio to your Connect so that it plays audio in sync with your TV.  The Sonos amp is right tool for the job.