Question

connecting sonos to my tv

• 17 April 2013
  • 20 replies

I have a pair of Sonos Play 3's and a Sonos Bridge. Could you give me all my options for connecting them to a TV/Laptop. Thank you very much

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Thomas, In order to connect a TV or laptop directly to the Sonos system for audio, there needs to be a physical connection between the source of the audio and the Line-In port on a Sonos player. Unfortunately, the PLAY:3 model does not have a Line-In port to use for this. The devices that do have an audio Line-In port are the PLAY:5, CONNECT, and CONNECT:AMP (analog inputs) as well as our PLAYBAR (optical input for use with the TV). If you do have one of the above models, however, you can wire your TV or laptop into the Sonos unit and then stream that audio via wireless to whichever Sonos unit you like. You can find out more about how Line-In works here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080
Good answer, although still unclear about one thing. 

I have a Bridge, 2x Play:1's and  Connect all in the same room grouped together. If I connect the TV to my Connect via a Line-In will sound from the TV be played only through the Connect or through the whole Sonos system (i.e. both Play:1's and the Connect)? 

I essentially want to know if it's possible to use my Sonos speakers as surround sound for TV? Many thanks, James 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Good answer, although still unclear about one thing. 

I have a Bridge, 2x Play:1's and  Connect all in the same room grouped together. If I connect the TV to my Connect via a Line-In will sound from the TV be played only through the Connect or through the whole Sonos system (i.e. both Play:1's and the Connect)? 

I essentially want to know if it's possible to use my Sonos speakers as surround sound for TV? Many thanks, James 

Hi Jason, the Line-In audio will be played to any Sonos components that are grouped. You can select a single PLAY:1, then select Line-In. You'll see the Line-In option for the CONNECT. You can play the Line-In audio to any single Sonos unit in your system, or any units that have been grouped together, or all at once. The group does not need to contain the CONNECT in order for Line-In audio to work.
Hi - I am just starting out with whole home audio. Essentially I have nothing other than a Sony Bravia TV and Wi-Fi high speed internet. I would like to accomplish 2 goals 1) when having a party play music via my iPhone to multiple Sonos Play1s and 2) when watching TV have one of the Sonos Play1 speakers play the TVs sound in our TV room. I also would like to accomplish this using the least amount of money. So.... if I buy multiple Sonos Play1s, 1 Bridge and 1 Connect can I accomplish my 2 goals? My plan is to connect the Bridge to my network via the network cable and connect the Sonos Connect to my TV via the Line in (there are no internet network connections near the TV - Is that OK?) - Thank you!
Hi Jason. My personal view is that the Connect is not the best option here. It's designed primarily to allow Sonos to stream through a hi-fi system, and you seem to be planning to use it only as a means of getting a line-in - that is a very expensive line-in port. Also, the lag in TV sound will probably be just too big to be acceptable. In my view if you want Sonos for your TV sound the only acceptable option is the Playbar. This will give you excellent TV sound without a noticeable lag and will also take care of music in that room. Then use Play:1s in other rooms. This may not be the least amount of money but (I think) more than justifies the extra compared with what you are thinking of. I hope that helps John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Thanks!! I guess I will save up to get the sound bar to enhance TV Show/Movie sound - in the meantime (b/c my wife listens to music via a Pandora app on the TV) what are the options to connect a Play1 to the TV wirelessly? Any cheaper way than the Connect to do this?
Hi Jason. There isn't any cheaper way than a Connect I'm afraid. An alternative way would be to use the line-in on a Play:5, which is more expensive than a Play:1 but would give you a speaker you could put in another room when you got the Playbar, reducing by one the number of Play:1s you eventually needed. You might be able to use the TV headphone output to run a 3.5mm jack cable to the Play:5, or, if your TV has RCA stereo audio out ports you might run an RCA to 3,5mm jack cable. As I mentioned before, though, you might find that the audio lag gives you lip-sync issues, which your TV may or may not allow you to deal with. If Pandora is the main purpose that's obviously not an issue. John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Hi Jason. Further to my previous post. If Pandora is the main purpose then you should be able to play it through a Play:1 anyway, without the TV. (I am assuming you are in US. I am in UK so don't use Pandora - you would need to confirm it could be linked to Sonos and how fully-featured it is in its Sonos version, I cannot advise you on that.) John
Hi Jason. There isn't any cheaper way than a Connect I'm afraid. An alternative way would be to use the line-in on a Play:5, which is more expensive than a Play:1 but would give you a speaker you could put in another room when you got the Playbar, reducing by one the number of Play:1s you eventually needed. You might be able to use the TV headphone output to run a 3.5mm jack cable to the Play:5, or, if your TV has RCA stereo audio out ports you might run an RCA to 3,5mm jack cable. As I mentioned before, though, you might find that the audio lag gives you lip-sync issues, which your TV may or may not allow you to deal with. If Pandora is the main purpose that's obviously not an issue. John, Canford Cliffs Audio
John,
You are a very well-spoken, polite guy who has given a lot of people a lot of help, including myself. Thank you for your concise, clear explanations regarding Sonos
Thank you Linda.  I appreciate your taking the time to post that comment and I am delighted if I have helped. John.
Hi Jason. My personal view is that the Connect is not the best option here. It's designed primarily to allow Sonos to stream through a hi-fi system, and you seem to be planning to use it only as a means of getting a line-in - that is a very expensive line-in port. Also, the lag in TV sound will probably be just too big to be acceptable. In my view if you want Sonos for your TV sound the only acceptable option is the Playbar. This will give you excellent TV sound without a noticeable lag and will also take care of music in that room. Then use Play:1s in other rooms. This may not be the least amount of money but (I think) more than justifies the extra compared with what you are thinking of. I hope that helps John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Hey Jason. Awesome Post - I'm currently dealing with the Audio Lag you are mentioned above. Do you have any ideas on how to fix the lag? Maybe an analog to digital converter?
Sorry John!! I mis-read your name!
Hi Alex.  I don't think you can really fix this - certainly not at the Sonos end, because the lag is deliberate.  Sonos is designed primarily as a multiroom music system, and the lag is needed to allow perfect synchronisation when speakers are grouped.  Only the Playbar is designed to work well with TV sound.

I have assumed that you aren't talking about the Playbar here - but could you clarify what speaker(s) you are trying to use for your TV sound and how you are connecting them?  I'll offer more advice then if I can, but don't be too hopeful!

John 
Hey John, Thanks for the follow up and offering additional help! You are correct - I'm not speaking of the Playbar. My System: Amp, Connect, Play 1 and Play 3. I recently purchased the Connect to link my Receiver that has 7.1 Speakers connected to Sonos Environment. I was hoping by how old all the threads were online the issue with the Audio Lag had been fixed, but I can't find anything more recent. My ultimate goal was to get the audio output of the receiver (Cable TV, Xbox, Ect) to play through the whole Sonos Environment without the Lag. Please let me know if you need additional info. Thanks Again!
Hi Alex.  I think the problem here is that you are looking at it as an "issue" to be "fixed" whereas the lag is an essential and deliberate part of Sonos' design.  It is never going to be "fixed" I'm afraid.  You are trying to use Sonos components for TV sound that are just not designed for that purpose.  It is possible that the lag is being made worse by some sort of audio processing in your receiver.  If you have any sort of Dolby processing going on then try turning that off, or if the receiver has a "direct" mode then try engaging it.

(BUT please can you confirm exactly what cables you are running to and/or from the Connect and what they are, er, connected to?)

John
Understood. Digital Audio Coaxial Out from Connect into Receiver. Analog out from Receiver into Connect. I'm not using any of the Analog Inputs on the Amp - Only the Connect.
Thanks Alex.  That seems fine and what I would expect.  It seems to me a pretty good setup as it is.  You can play streamed music through your 7:1 speaker system (as a stereo stream, obviously) and group with your P:1 and P:3 if you wish.  You can play the sound from your TV directly through your 7:1 system, presumably without lag, which should sound good.  Is there much more to be gained from adding the P:1 and P:3 to TV sound?  Listening to TV in other rooms?  But then any lag doesn't matter.

John 
Yes - The ultimate goal was the TV audio to play in other Sonos Zones. More specifically, I'm using my Sonos Amp to power 2 outdoor speakers. I wanted to be able to hear sporting events while outside and through the house. Aside from the situation listed above, yes, everything else as you described is perfect.
Userlevel 2
I realise this thread is fairly old but just wondered if connecting a Play 5 via aux cable would reduce the sound lag? I have a projector that I want to setup as a sound cinema system and wondering what kit to buy. Eddy
Hi Eddy.  I'm not 100% sure (just 99%), but I think the answer is no.  And it's not just about the lag.  The Playbar is designed to handle non-music sounds, especially dialogue, better than any other Sonos component.  And you are (presumably) taking an analogue feed.  I have tried a Play:5 as a TV speaker in the past and for me it just didn't cut it, and was never designed to.   Just a personal view, of course.

John