connecting sonos beam and one to project t1

• 27 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hey looking for some advice ,

So we currently have a Sonos beam and have recently just purchased the Sonos one and the project t1 phono sb turntable as gifts for my partner for Christmas however I’ve since learned that they won’t connect without port or play5 is there any other alternative (cheaper) way to connect all 3 ? Would the connect amp 1/2nd gen work to link them in short term until I can bare to part with another £500 for the play5 or £400 for the port ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Assuming you are running, or plan to run, all your products using the S2 Sonos App, it’s perhaps important to note that only some of the old Sonos ‘Connects’ are compatible with S2 - those manufactured after 2015 (gen2), and those before are not. So any earlier ‘Connect’ device will ‘drag’ all your products back to the older Sonos legacy S1 App - so I would check and make sure with the seller that the advertised ‘Connect’ is S2 compatible otherwise I would personally go for the Sonos Port. See this link;

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Alternatively you ‘might’ find a solution with the TV that you have attached the Beam to. If that TV has an analog audio line-in, then you could use that connection to attach the turntable to, but you will find you need the TV powered on for playback to the attached Beam and there ‘may’ prove to be audio-sync (echo) issues when grouping the Beam with your Sonos one speaker.

If you want a temporary solution you could buy a cheapish RCA analog to digital optical converter and a digital optical switch. 

Run digital optical from the TV and from the ADC to the switch, optical from the switch to the converter that comes with the Beam.