Answered

Connecting my Samsung Smart TV to my wifi using Sonos

• 26 November 2018
  • 8 replies

How do I connect my Samsung Smart TV to my existing wifi speakers using Sonos? I already have my existing wifi set up with a Connect to be able to stream via my wifi speakers. Can I use the same Connect box to connect my TV (in the same place) to also use my wifi speakers?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 November 2018, 15:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not easily, no. You haven't said which wifi speakers you have, though. If you've got a Sonos PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or Beam, then you would connect those via optical or HDMI-ARC (for the Beam only). If you happen to have an analog out on that TV, and are willing to put up with the minimum delay of 75ms on the sound, you could potentially connect to the analog line in on either a CONNECT or PLAY:5.
very sorry, I was supposed to say HiFi speakers, connected to my existing HiFi system
Ah, speakers connected to a audio/video capable receiver? How do you have the Samsung connected to it currently?

For TV, you're going still going to be in a hard place. Like pretty much every other manufacturer of these kinds of systems, Sonos likes to keep you in their own ecosystem. For instance, there's no real effective way of just using the Sonos Ones or PLAY:1s as surround speakers, without owning one of the three soundbars I listed. And pretty much the same thing for the front three speakers....it just isn't feasible.

The simple fact is, for a true 5.1 system that is in pretty darn close lipsync, you really need to have all of the speakers involved be Sonos brand.

Now, if you're interested in just music, and ignoring the TV aspect, then what you'd want to connect to your receiver is a CONNECT, which has a stereo output that you would connect to the the receiver, and then anything streaming from Sonos would be in sync. However, the analog input on that device still has that 75ms delay I was talking about, so if you were playing something on the receiver, and then pushing it to the Sonos speakers, there'd be a slight delay between the speakers connected to your receiver, and the Sonos speakers. Think like you were in a stadium, using a microphone. That kind of echo type sound.
Many thanks for your reply. I already have my HiFi amplified connected to a CONNECT, but was hoping I could maybe do the same with my TV in order to use my existing analog speakers via the HiFi amplifier to the Sonos CONNECT
Is there a reason you aren't connecting your TV directly to your HiFi system? There really isn't an advantage by routing the TV audio signal through the Connect.
only to be able to manage it all via the Sonos app
Userlevel 7
Hi chansend

You have three options and two (IMO) are better than routing TV volume through a Connect:

The first as has been suggested is to connect your TV directly to the receiver.
If HDMI just use the receivers remote to adjust the volume or purchase a Universal remote that will also allow you to change channels if OTA; or if programed to a operate a cable box.

The second is to connect your TV to your receiver via optical or RCA cable.
If optical you may have to use the receivers remote to adjust the volume or purchase a Universal remote that will also allow you to change channels OTA; or if programed to a operate a cable box.

If RCA you may able to select variable out in your TV's menu. You would then set the volume on the receiver to a level just slightly above comfortable listening level. You'd use your TV's remote to adjust volume and change channels OTA or if programed to a operate a cable box.

The third is to connect your TV Line-out to line-in on the Connect (set to auto) and Line-out from Connect to Line-in on receiver.
Select the Connect as source on the receiver. Set the volume on the receiver to a level just slightly above comfortable listening level. Control volume via the Sonos App.

Cheers!
Thanks all for your support, I might just go with the direct TV to receiver connection