Connecting my Epson EH-TW650 Projector to my SONOS Playbar (Sub and Play 1's x 2)

• 26 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi all. I am looking for a way to connect the Projector to my SONOS system which is currently powering the sound for the TV. The Projector has WIFI but I have no idea if this would be of any use for the connecting the sound. I have a TOS link cable also but not sure where this would fit into the projector or the SONOS system or whether I'd need a switching box too. Basically clueless, so any help greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Perfect. I'll try that and let you know how it all goes. Thanks for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep. I would connect the laptop to the Connector box via HDMI (In), then HDMI (Out) to the Projector and the TOS Link connected to the Connect box Optical (Out) and in to the Playbar.

Edit:

Sorry, just noticed in your initial post that you said you had a Playbar. Sorry.
Great. Thank you. I have a TOS Link cable and a play bar. I’ll get the box you sent the link for. So the configuration would be TOS Link out of Play Bar, into box the out to Projector (Standard Audio or HDMI?).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi. The system is a stand alone projector and screen, both are portable and as an addition to the TV. Basically just wanted to watch movies on a massive screen. I've been running the projector off a laptop using HDMI. There are two HDMI slots on the projector, a couple of USB's and Standard Audio Outs. All I've managed to me able to do up to now is watch great quality movies on the screen, and listen to the movies via the one speaker integral to the projector. As mentioned the projector also has wifi built in but I'm confused as how to hook this up to the sonos. I ran my play 5 out of the standard projector audio out but couldn't get any sound from the play5. I didn't use an amp in this configuration, just straight out of the projector into the Play5. I did switch the settings on the songs controller to the correct one though.

Hi

Okay, so lets eliminate some of the options:

1/ TOS Link is only an option with a PlayBase or Playbar;
2/ You won't be able to connect via Wi-Fi.

Probably the best option would be to get a Playbar or PlayBase and connect via an HDMI to Optical converter- not sure if your budget would stretch that far?

Something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Splitter-DAC-1080P/dp/B01GH4MEYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514914381&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+toslink
Hi. The system is a stand alone projector and screen, both are portable and as an addition to the TV. Basically just wanted to watch movies on a massive screen. I've been running the projector off a laptop using HDMI. There are two HDMI slots on the projector, a couple of USB's and Standard Audio Outs. All I've managed to me able to do up to now is watch great quality movies on the screen, and listen to the movies via the one speaker integral to the projector. As mentioned the projector also has wifi built in but I'm confused as how to hook this up to the sonos. I ran my play 5 out of the standard projector audio out but couldn't get any sound from the play5. I didn't use an amp in this configuration, just straight out of the projector into the Play5. I did switch the settings on the songs controller to the correct one though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you provide a bit more detail? What is the source device for the Projector? Is this to replace or sit along side the TV?