Question

Connect hooked directly to a tv

• 23 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Can you hook up a Connect directly to a tv and then use play 1's for front surround speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes sort of. You could get sound but it would be stereo, not truly "front surround". There would be a small audio lag on TV sound which may or may not bother you. Play:1s are not designed as TV speakers and I doubt they would handle dialogue very well (have to admit I haven't tried).

If you would be buying a Connect solely for this purpose it seems an expensive way to get a mediocre result.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The playbar is the only product specifically designed for tv duties, and has variable syncing to get the lips and audio spot on.
Others have used the connect and say the delay does not bother them, but it might you.
The playbar is the only product specifically designed for tv duties, and has variable syncing to get the lips and audio spot on.
Not quite. A PLAYBAR has a minimum delay of 30ms (which many might not be bothered by) and the available adjustment can only increase the delay further.
Yes sort of. You could get sound but it would be stereo, not truly "front surround". There would be a small audio lag on TV sound which may or may not bother you. Play:1s are not designed as TV speakers and I doubt they would handle dialogue very well (have to admit I haven't tried).

If you would be buying a Connect solely for this purpose it seems an expensive way to get a mediocre result.

Thanks for your input.

Let me describe my situation further, the tv is on the wall 12' away, it's our bedroom tv, the reason we don't want a sound bar is that we would have to have it turned up to loud to hear clearly, and will disturb the kids in the room next door. So I'm trying to find away to get the sound near our ears. Doesn't need to be professional, just needs to do the job

Also get the added benefit of a speaker for music in the bedroom!
I'll just throw an alternative into the ring:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/monoprice-109722-bluetooth-transmitter-and-splitter/252435970.html

.. and two pairs of BT headphones.

This assumes your TV has a headphone socket

Have a Play:1 (or two) for what it is designed for - music.