Question

Combining player with Connect or Connect Amp

• 18 November 2016
  • 2 replies

Hello. In our new home we have two rear and one front center speakers built in the ceiling. Does anyone know if/how I can combine those with the PlayBar, either through a ConnectAmp (which I already have) or a Connect in combination with my Receiver/Amplifier? (I am familiar with the traditional PayBar/Play3/Surround set up for 5.1 but for this room I'd like to leverage existing equipment). Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi. You can't incorporate the front centre speaker in any useful way. You could use a Connect:Amp to drive the rear speakers in a 5.0 or 5.1 setup with the Playbar. To use the Connect:Amp in this way you must either:

(i) Connect the Playbar and C:A to each other with an Ethernet cable AND have a Sonos component connected to you router by Ethernet (the PB, C:A or any other component would do) OR
(ii) Connect both the C:A and PB to your router by Ethernet

Personally I think ceiling speakers are suitable only for background music and you would do better to get a pair of Play:1s or Play:3s and not use the existing speakers just because they are there. Others on this forum may feel differently, I just happen to dislike ceiling speakers..

You cannot use the Connect + amp in a surround setup with the Playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea your choices are the Playbar as your fronts (and disregard the center in ceiling) and the rears connected to a Connect:Amp giving you 5.0

or

get a standard surround receiver and 2 wired front speakers, wire the center and the rears to it. Then use a Sonos Connect to the add Sonos sound to the receiver (and be able to play any sound receiver is playing to other sonos speakers in house).