Answered

Chromecast with Google TV ==> Sonos One

• 23 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I'm new to both the forum and Sonos, so please bear with me regarding this case.

I am a bit confused about what I can do with the setup noted in this post title.  There are already a few discussions in the forum about this general subject, but I am still not sure, so I’ll try to be as specific as possible in my situation and what I would ultimately like to accomplish.

I currently have an appleTV (non airplay 2 capable). I bought the One with the idea of using it as a smart speaker (Alexa or Google), as well as to serve as the speaker of the ATV, However, I didn't do enough research prior to buying the ONE to realise that I can not stream from my ATV because it is not Airplay 2 capable.

Nevertheless, I really like the sound and build quality of the One, so I am sticking with it, so I am now looking for an alternative solution. I know that buying a new AppleTV will solve my problem. However, I am keen on trying the Chromecast with Google TV dongle, which brings me to my question:

Will the Google TV dongle be able to communicate to my Sonos One, so that:

1. Streaming video from my iPhone (from different apps) will play the video on the TV and the sound on the One
  2. Netflix, Prime, and all others apps on the Google TV will play sound through the One?

I thank you all for the feedback.

reyemarr

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 23 May 2021, 06:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

A Chromecast doesn’t really work with a Sonos One because there is not a good way to get TV audio to play out of the One without using AirPlay or grouping the One with a Sonos home theater speaker.

The One is a music speaker and not really intended to be used for TV audio. You are better off getting a Sonos home theater speaker like a Beam or Arc.

But, like you mentioned, you could always upgrade to an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K because they support AirPlay.