Choosing between Sonos and Bose Cinema Set

• 2 May 2013
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Dear users,

I went to a store where they had the Sonos Playbar, which i found really nice, but I also went to the Bose store and listened to the cinemate GS 2, which sounded a little bit better than the Playbar alone (without sub).

At this moment I have an Iphone and Macbook Pro, and when I'm home, i'll plug PC speakers in the Macbook and use the remote app on my Iphone to change music etc. So here are my options:

Buy Bose cinemate GS 2 and apple tv (total 900 euro's in my country) and use Airplay (apple tv) to stream music to my living room and tv.

Or Buy the Sonos bar (total 700 euro), which is expandable later (but really expensive) and use the Sonos app to stream the music from iTunes to my living room.

What would you suggest? I'm fine as you can see with Airplay, it really depends on the sound I think...

Thanks in advance!
John

6 replies

johnnyvh,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

I can't tell you which might sound better (to you), you'll need to do your own listening.

Technically, the SONOS unit is more advanced, but this advantage will not become apparent until you start adding more rooms. SONOS is designed from the ground up to be a multi-room system. Adding another room to a SONOS system is so simple an adult can do it and most of us spend more time unpacking the unit than setting it up. A three or four room Airport system is pushing into the unwieldy, while for a SONOS system it is just a beginning.

Cost? If you are thinking of SONOS as a computer accessory, it is expensive. If, however, you are thinking of SONOS as a multi-room audio system, it is extremely inexpensive for a high level of functionality. A big plus for me is that I don't need to use a computer to play my music. On a SONOS system the computer is optional.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello johnnyvh,

buy the SONOS. It sounds quite good and is so easy to install. Only thing you need is a power socket at the place where you want to have your SONOS.

The SONOS sounds so good that I decided to remove my old 5.1 System (Yamaha 2067, Thorens and KEFF speakers) and to replace it by SONOS components.

Only handicap up to now, is that SONOS PLAYBAR supports no DTS, so I had to convert some of my videos to AC3 using HandBrake.

One word to the costs: Yes - if you want to have the complete 5.1 System (Playbar, SUB and 2xPlay3) you have to pay round about 2000 € but I can say: its worth that price!

Peter
Userlevel 2
johnnyvh,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

I can't tell you which might sound better (to you), you'll need to do your own listening.

Technically, the SONOS unit is more advanced, but this advantage will not become apparent until you start adding more rooms. SONOS is designed from the ground up to be a multi-room system. Adding another room to a SONOS system is so simple an adult can do it and most of us spend more time unpacking the unit than setting it up. A three or four room Airport system is pushing into the unwieldy, while for a SONOS system it is just a beginning.

Cost? If you are thinking of SONOS as a computer accessory, it is expensive. If, however, you are thinking of SONOS as a multi-room audio system, it is extremely inexpensive for a high level of functionality. A big plus for me is that I don't need to use a computer to play my music. On a SONOS system the computer is optional.

I'm thinking about it as a system for my living room, and maybe my bedroom. But that's it.. I'm fine with spending 700 euro for the Sonos Playbar, but the bass isn't that great. Adding a subwoofer is out of my budget..
Userlevel 2
I recently bought a Bose solo, only because of the form factor of it worked alot better than the Playbar. (it is far more compact and can go on a shelf rather than needing to be "on display".)

Personally though I don't like the way Bose stuff works at all, it is overpriced and both bose units I have turn themselves off automatically which is very annoying as they are never on when I turn on the TV. I only bought the solo because nothing else fitted the shlef space I had well. The technology in them always feels dated, missing ports etc.

If you have a choice, don't do it, go with the Sonos.
I took my Bose system back and got the Sonos. NO COMPARISON in my opinion. Bose suffocates the market with advertising , so people think its a quality system. It is no way in the same league as the Sonos.

By the way...
When I called Bose to send their system back before the 30 day period, they offered me 20% off and I still wouldnt have it. The real test is when you crank up the Bose VS the Sonos.
I owned Bose Cinamate GS, and then i switched to Playbar+Sub. Mostly because of Music.

Music sounds great on play bar with SUB (also without SUB but Loudness ON it sounds good).

Bose Cinemate GS is not so good for Music, something is missing.

But!!! In my opinion Cinemate GS is way better for TV and Movie.

The whole sound is better balanced, it's somehow clear, and i can hear the voices better.

Also with DD5.1, cinemate sounds great because of virtual surround, i like it very much.

Virtual Surround is one of things that i missing on play bar