Question

Cheaper SUB

• 9 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi Sonos fans. Does anyone know if Sonos will be launching a less expensive SUB in the near future? I have read that there a plenty of people who would buy a cheaper SUB, surely it's a no brainer for Sonos to release one?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It would also affect future sales patterns of all products. If you know early owners pay a premium, and you know a price drop is coming sometime, then how many early owners will there be? It spreads purchases over a longer time period.

The Sub was introduced 7 years ago. That's a long time to wait for a price drop that may or may not happen!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
It would be simpler to reduce somewhat the cost of the current Sub, given that the development & production tooling costs will have long ago been amortised, and parts costs are likely to have declined overall.

However, I guess Sonos has done its elasticity of demand projections, and enough of us are prepared to pay the current cost.

It would also affect future sales patterns of all products. If you know early owners pay a premium, and you know a price drop is coming sometime, then how many early owners will there be? It spreads purchases over a longer time period.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It would be simpler to reduce somewhat the cost of the current Sub, given that the development & production tooling costs will have long ago been amortised, and parts costs are likely to have declined overall.

However, I guess Sonos has done its elasticity of demand projections, and enough of us are prepared to pay the current cost.
Ah @ratty beat me to it. Sorry for the duplication.
Sonos never announce their development roadmap about these sort of things, not least because such an announcement would likely affect current sales of an existing product.

I see a number of community users have mentioned the matter in the past. It was particularly asked for by users who purchased the Sonos Beam for their smaller rooms.

Having just recently announced three brand new products, I guess we we will just have to wait and see what Sonos do next.
Sonos never discuss such product plans.

I'm not sure why it would be a "no brainer". It would clearly cannibalise some sales of the current Sub, so would need to make up for that and more. Plus of course offset the not insignificant development and marketing costs.

In terms of performance a smaller, cheaper Sub might simply not cut it. There are laws of physics which tend to get in the way.

Anyway, Sonos understand their business far better than any of us so if there's a plausible case for a downmarket Sub I'm sure they'll have considered it.