Answered

Center Channel

• 4 May 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 66 replies
I'll keep it simple, I'm assuming there is no way to increase the volume of just the center channel?

I'd like to make it a feature request if that is correct.

I find that in several films that the music and sound effects are much louder than the dialog. That's fair, but as a preference I would like the dialog to be louder. In the past, with my old typical 5.1 system, I would just increase the volume on the center channel and it worked great.

I know there is dialog enhance, but I don't find it helps enough and sometimes it just sounds odd.
icon

Best answer by glide 4 May 2018, 19:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'll keep it simple, I'm assuming there is no way to increase the volume of just the center channel?

I'd like to make it a feature request if that is correct.

I find that in several films that the music and sound effects are much louder than the dialog. That's fair, but as a preference I would like the dialog to be louder. In the past, with my old typical 5.1 system, I would just increase the volume on the center channel and it worked great.

I know there is dialog enhance, but I don't find it helps enough and sometimes it just sounds odd.

Nope. The current paybar/playbase combine L+R+C channels and there is no way to separately control them.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved with the new hardware coming out next month.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Nope. The current paybar/playbase combine L+R+C channels and there is no way to separately control them.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved with the new hardware coming out next month.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it shouldn't be a hardware issue that prevents introducing this feature. Doesn't the Trueplay speaker tuning adjust the levels of all the channels separately to get the best sound? Why can't we have an override similar to adjusting the volume of the surround speakers?
I use the 'Speech Enhancement" feature on the app and it seems to work very well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it shouldn't be a hardware issue that prevents introducing this feature. Doesn't the Trueplay speaker tuning adjust the levels of all the channels separately to get the best sound? Why can't we have an override similar to adjusting the volume of the surround speakers?

It is a hardware issue and cannot (or will not) be addressed through software.

The current playbar combines L+R+C. A new device may split them out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
So when Trueplay does it's calibration, it can't adjust the levels of the Left Center Right? They are always the same level? I would assume that they would adjust depending on the distance from the calibration point to the speakers. Due to the layout of my living room, the best seat is not right in the middle, so I'd expect the speaker that is slightly further to be slighty higher in level. At least that's how my old home-theater-in-a-box calibrated.
If sonos would develop a dedicated center channel/5.1 processor unit that would allow for the use of playX for main and rear speakers, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Even at the price point of the current playbar.