Cannot get Sonos Playbar to pair with New Series 6 TCL Roku remote control

• 10 November 2019
  • 12 replies

Previously had a Samsung tv (using Roku streaming with Roku remote)    - was able to pair Sonos soundbar with Samsung remote, and then after that,  the Roku remote took over and sound volume worked with the roku remote for the Playbar.     Bought new Series 6 TCL that comes with Roku built in, and Roku remote.     My playbar is still reading the old Samsung remote (white light lights up on sonos soundbar when I push the samsung remove volume buttons) .    I have gone into the Sonos>system> (Living Room Playbar+sub+Ls+Rs) > Remote Control Setup > Replace current remote> then pressed volume button on roku remote…..  no luck, does not pick it up.        Any help or advice appreciated.   

thank you,  easycraig

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The Roku enhanced remote will not pair with the Playbar because it pairs with the TV over a wireless network and not IR.  This allows it to be pointed anywhere and still work.  It is an enhanced remote if there is a little pairing button in the battery compartment.  I recently purchased a TCL 8 Series TV and this $7 replacement IR remote and everything works great.  It’s not point anywhere but at least now I can control the TV and sound using a single remote control.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HTPGC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured out a work around….   I grabbed an IR remote from one of our cheaper TCL tv’s (Remote is IR, not all room remote, they are only $15 new)     - bottom line, it works! Turns tv on and volume up/down on sonos playbar.   I am back to only 1 remote!     Down sides were:  I had to remount my corner tv and bracket about an inch higher so I had a direct line to the IR/bar on tv (dead center on bottom of set, my playbar was slightly covering it up) and the IR remote does not have voice mic so you have to type your searches in…..   

All the above information is confusing because when I first purchased the TCL 6 series tv and set up the corresponding Roku remote with the new Sonos sound bar it all worked perfectly for 24 hours.  Then suddenly the remote stopped working with the sound bar. This negates that theory that the “non IR” Roku remotes won’t control the sound bar because it absolutely did….. and now I cannot find any instructions anywhere on how to perhaps try to re-synchronize the remote with the sonos. The app on my phone doesn’t allow me to go back through even when I uninstall and reinstall the app…… it still recognizes the remote but won’t work… So VERY frustrating…….

All the above information is confusing because when I first purchased the TCL 6 series tv and set up the corresponding Roku remote with the new Sonos sound bar it all worked perfectly for 24 hours.  Then suddenly the remote stopped working with the sound bar. This negates that theory that the “non IR” Roku remotes won’t control the sound bar because it absolutely did….. and now I cannot find any instructions anywhere on how to perhaps try to re-synchronize the remote with the sonos. The app on my phone doesn’t allow me to go back through even when I uninstall and reinstall the app…… it still recognizes the remote but won’t work… So VERY frustrating…….

Perhaps the TV can use both types of 'remote' and you can switch them… usually, with such TV’s, there is a standard cheaper basic remote that will just do the one way IR communication, or it may be supplied with a more expensive 'voice enabled' remote etc; that often uses RF wireless for communication and it 'perhaps' can be switched to infrared, but may lose some functionality… the best thing to do, is to speak to the TCL customer support desk and ask if (and how) the model of TV you have, is able to switch RF/IR mode. 

I’ve seen cases in which a ‘background’ firmware update on the TV has switched the remote from IR back to Bluetooth. Might be worth double checking the remote is still on IR. 

I’m not familiar with the TCL TV. Many TV’s are now using Bluetooth remotes, paired with the TV. SONOS cannot work with Bluetooth remotes. Most if these Bluetooth controlled TV’s have an option to control an A/V receiver via IR (Infrared). Dig around the TV’s setup options for a reference to “Remote setup”. It’s arbitrary which receiver manufacturer you claim to be controlling, then train PLAYBAR to use these commands.

Have tried everything, no luck so far…..  will try calling Sonos tomorrow and see what they say.   I am thinking maybe a complete reset on the Sonos system and try to pair with roku remote then.  

Many phone/pad cameras will capture IR transmissions. First, test your phone/pad camera by capturing an image of a remote that you know will emit IR. If your camera responds to IR, then check the TCL remote. . If the TCL remote does not emit IR, you cannot control PLAYBAR.

Resetting PLAYBAR will not be good use of your time because it is very unlikely that this will solve your issue.

Have tried everything, no luck so far…..  will try calling Sonos tomorrow and see what they say.   I am thinking maybe a complete reset on the Sonos system and try to pair with roku remote then.  

If the TV remote is not infrared, but connects using either Bluetooth, or wireless, then you’re out of luck… see this page for your remote type (perhaps?)

https://support.tclusa.com/televisions-troubleshooting/259100-my-tcl-roku-tv-remote-control-is-not-working

Try to find out from TCL Support, if it can be programmed as a universal IR remote, like you can with LG TV’s (Magic Remote), which then emits an infrared signal for volume control.

Failing that, use the remote from your cable box, or other TV connected peripheral, that’s if you plan to connect such a device? Or maybe any spare IR remote you have lying around… your old IR roku stick remote, perhaps?

I figured out a work around….   I grabbed an IR remote from one of our cheaper TCL tv’s (Remote is IR, not all room remote, they are only $15 new)     - bottom line, it works! Turns tv on and volume up/down on sonos playbar.   I am back to only 1 remote!     Down sides were:  I had to remount my corner tv and bracket about an inch higher so I had a direct line to the IR/bar on tv (dead center on bottom of set, my playbar was slightly covering it up) and the IR remote does not have voice mic so you have to type your searches in…..   

Do you mind sharing the model # of the remote that works for you?  I have the same setup and issues. 

The Roku enhanced remote will not pair with the Playbar because it pairs with the TV over a wireless network and not IR.  This allows it to be pointed anywhere and still work.  It is an enhanced remote if there is a little pairing button in the battery compartment.  I recently purchased a TCL 8 Series TV and this $7 replacement IR remote and everything works great.  It’s not point anywhere but at least now I can control the TV and sound using a single remote control.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HTPGC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate this.  I just ordered the remote.  I will take volume control with one remote over point anywhere.

Hey thanks everyone. I got that new remote before setting up my Playbar, “just in case”.  It was the case and was able to use it to set up the Playbar. I’d have been super frustrated without it.