can we please get dts hd and dts x it is 2022 afterall

Show first post

116 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I don’t know why you keeping mentioning ‘laziness’. It’s a business decision not to invest the necessary effort and resources to chase after a minority market segment which is arguably on the wane. Sonos knows where their target market lies. If you don’t like it then choose a different product.

because it is lazy to not include them said formats when so many others do, ill choose what product i want to thanks very much, you do realise companies use forums like this to find out about bugs issues and requests which is why i posted this in the first place and im not the first to do so, if it was a business decision then why did they backtrack and add dts standard support which wasnt initially there?

I don’t know why you keeping mentioning ‘laziness’. It’s a business decision not to invest the necessary effort and resources to chase after a minority market segment which is arguably on the wane. Sonos knows where their target market lies. If you don’t like it then choose a different product.

Userlevel 4
Badge

“it is 2022 afterall”

The fact that it is 2022 is actually a good reason NOT to offer DTS support. Today, most people are moving away from physical media and are only using streaming services. DTS audio is pretty much non-existent on popular streaming services.

I actually prefer Blu-ray discs over streaming so I would love to see DTS-HD and DTS:X supported by Sonos. But I am also pretty content with just setting my Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM. I think lossless multichannel PCM audio sounds great from my DTS-encoded discs. And I doubt most people would even be able to tell the difference between DTS-HD Master Audio and multichannel PCM.

my it is 2022 afterall is more to the fact that there is numerous av receivers out there at 200 to 300 mark with a wider range of supported codecs, it really shouldnt even be a discussion as it is genuine laziness on sonos part not to include it whether more things is moving towards streaming or not,

if we took that approach with everything we would stop 720p or 1080p sources and say they arent needed anymore because we now have 4k and 8k, the whole thing is about compatibility and it should be included especially at this price point and dont get me wrong its not just sonos as bose have took a similar approach along with various tv brands

Userlevel 7

“it is 2022 afterall”

The fact that it is 2022 is actually a good reason NOT to offer DTS support. Today, most people are moving away from physical media and are only using streaming services. DTS audio is pretty much non-existent on popular streaming services.

I actually prefer Blu-ray discs over streaming so I would love to see DTS-HD and DTS:X supported by Sonos. But I am also pretty content with just setting my Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM. I think lossless multichannel PCM audio sounds great from my DTS-encoded discs. And I doubt most people would even be able to tell the difference between DTS-HD Master Audio and multichannel PCM.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just to be clear, the DTS and LPCM I can get from my Arc home theater sounds great.  It’s just a shame I still cant get the non-lossy DTS-HD or object oriented DTS:X as well.

@LBJ2: I was also surprised when Sony included DTS as a streaming format for some of its newer tvs.

i have a hdfury vrroom device you see that would allow me to pass the audio regardless of my tv brand but only thing holding me back is the sonos arcs inability to support it

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Just to be clear, the DTS and LPCM I can get from my Arc home theater sounds great.  It’s just a shame I still cant get the non-lossy DTS-HD or object oriented DTS:X as well.

@LBJ2: I was also surprised when Sony included DTS as a streaming format for some of its newer tvs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

many blurays only have dts hd or dts x as an audio option and blu rays are of course the best way to watch movies for the quality so this is why it is important to atleast some of us out there who would like to have both best picture and audio possible to them

I think you are perhaps referring to the older Blu-ray movies, these days they appear mainly to have a Dolby Digital TrueHD (w or w/o Atmos) audio track, which the Arc/Beam g2 will happily play.

That said, I too would like the option to make a ‘one-off’ payment for the DTS HQ/X codecs to be added which then help to cover any development/licensing costs.

I started amassing my blu-ray collection at the start of the pandemic.  I have (happily) invested a lot and probably will hit about 1,000 titles by the end of 2022.  Some people blow money on cars and vacations, for me its been blu-rays.😂.  Anyway, roughly 60% of my movies are either DTS-HD or DTS:X.  For more than a year now, in particular, my purchases have been mostly of new releases, meaning titles that up until now were not offered in blu-ray format.  While it’s true that newly produced movies distributed in the blu-ray format usually include dolby as the audio format, more often than not, existing titles that are newly released in the blu-ray format include DTS-HD as the audio format.  They just do.  And these existing titles are still a big part of the market for new blu-ray releases, which is apparent from sites like www.blu-ray.com.  That won’t be case forever, but that is the reality today.

I wrote that I will be picking up the HT-A9 to compare with my Sonos next week but I just realized I am scheduled pick it up in a few days 🥳. I have plenty of DTS:X object based audio 4K UHD blu-ray's to test and compare between the two systems. And like you wrote there appear to be many others with lots of DTS:X/HD content as well.  With LCPM pass through on my Sonos I don't think I am hearing DTS:X object based audio but surely DTS and DTS: HD via LCPM pass through, which sounds pretty good on the Sonos. This is something I will be paying close attention to during the comparison of both systems in my own environment. Of course hoping to hear what .4 vs .2 can do for Dolby Atmos as well.

I have no idea why some major brands abandoned DTS. Sony OTOH seems to be promoting DTS right along side Dolby. Not sure if its a license expense thing for the other brands or maybe DTS doesn't want to proliferate so much in the consumer market? I've read Dolby Atmos is easier to compress for streaming purposes which I have found to sound very good with Sonos. I know streaming is getting better and better, but also all the major studios continue to produce plenty of physical discs globally with both DTS and Dolby.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

many blurays only have dts hd or dts x as an audio option and blu rays are of course the best way to watch movies for the quality so this is why it is important to atleast some of us out there who would like to have both best picture and audio possible to them

I think you are perhaps referring to the older Blu-ray movies, these days they appear mainly to have a Dolby Digital TrueHD (w or w/o Atmos) audio track, which the Arc/Beam g2 will happily play.

That said, I too would like the option to make a ‘one-off’ payment for the DTS HQ/X codecs to be added which then help to cover any development/licensing costs.

I started amassing my blu-ray collection at the start of the pandemic.  I have (happily) invested a lot and probably will hit about 1,000 titles by the end of 2022.  Some people blow money on cars and vacations, for me its been blu-rays.😂.  Anyway, roughly 60% of my movies are either DTS-HD or DTS:X.  For more than a year now, in particular, my purchases have been mostly of new releases, meaning titles that up until now were not offered in blu-ray format.  While it’s true that newly produced movies distributed in the blu-ray format usually include dolby as the audio format, more often than not, existing titles that are newly released in the blu-ray format include DTS-HD as the audio format.  They just do.  And these existing titles are still a big part of the market for new blu-ray releases, which is apparent from sites like www.blu-ray.com.  That won’t be case forever, but that is the reality today.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If DTS:X is important, then the Sonos system may not be the system to buy.

There are plenty of remastered in 4K UHD blu-rays coming out in DTS: X, not Dolby Atmos but many of the new 4K UHD Blu-rays seem to be coming out mostly as Dolby Atmos ( but not all)...so clearly a trend, at least for now. Let’s see if IMax format with DTS: X (object based audio) increases its footprint on physical discs going forward or not.

I have a double whammy DTS: X block situation in that my LG TV doesn’t support any type of DTS even with the Sonos Arc now supporting DTS base codec but apparently not DTS license and the Sonos ARC only has one HDMI port, so no bypassing the TV with the Sonos Arc for DTS or true DTS:X. At least I can pass through LCPM 5.1/7.1 for DTS: HD Blu-rays, but I don't think that includes object based audio from DTS:X 

Next week I’m picking up the Sony HT-A9 with a Sub and will compare with my Sonos Arc 5.1.2. The HT-A9 supports all these sound formats and provides an additional two rear up firing speakers for a total of four up firing speakers. 4.1.4 w/ sub AND a second HDMI port so I can bypass my DTS blocking TV! Very excited to compare these systems. 

Otherwise, I really enjoy the Sonos 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and 5.1 and do hope that one day Sonos provides up firing rear surrounds too. But seems like Sonos is spending its new product resources these days on miniature sound devices with lots of color choices 🙃 so who knows if and when we will ever see ARC compatible up-firing rear surround speakers and Sonos ARC support for DTS:X license. I’m thinking we will never see a second HDMI port on any new ARC sound bar. 

Badge

I’m wondering what the point is of adding DTS HD or DTS X support. Or even regular DTS for that matter: most newer TV’s from popular brands don’t support it any longer (also not passthrough).

For example LG’s and Samsung TV’s don’t anymore - so even if you’re Sonos would support it, it would be useless for most people.

Well, even with a bluray player that won’t work - unless you hook your bluray player directly into you Sonos I guess. But with newer TV’s and using ARC/eARC and connecting your bluray player to your TV: that won’t work because the TV’s don’t support DTS(all) passthrough anymore.

I think that is silly btw - I would love it if TV’s would continue to support it, and if Sonos would support it too. But unfortunately as you see with Sonos & LG/Samsung it seems DTS support is being dropped with everything (or never being added).

It would be a brave product manager who proposed a project, with significant opportunity costs, in the hope that an unknown fraction of a fraction of the users would subscribe and deliver some incremental revenue -- using, I might add, a new business model -- to cover it.

The general philosophy at Sonos appears to be that physical formats are heading the way of the dodo, and that streaming will dominate.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m wondering what the point is of adding DTS HD or DTS X support. Or even regular DTS for that matter: most newer TV’s from popular brands don’t support it any longer (also not passthrough).

For example LG’s and Samsung TV’s don’t anymore - so even if you’re Sonos would support it, it would be useless for most people.

Badge

For example LG’s and Samsung TV’s don’t anymore - so even if your Sonos would support it, it would be useless for most people.

Userlevel 4
Badge

to do dts but not go as far as offering dts hd or dts x is just lazy

It’s called a business decision. 

poor 1 at that to support the most outdated version of dts while it is welcomed that they added it surely it wouldnt take much as some suggested even a small liscencing fee to pay in the app to add it i know myself and plenty others would happily do this

to do dts but not go as far as offering dts hd or dts x is just lazy

It’s called a business decision. Unfortunately nothing is cost-free.