can we please get dts hd and dts x it is 2022 afterall

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

116 replies

Userlevel 7

Would also love to know your experiences with the Sony system - looking for something that can handle DTS-HD/Master

There is a helpful comparison and review here of the Sonos Arc vs the Sony HT-A9:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/tools/compare/sonos-arc-vs-sony-ht-a9/13760/27047

I did think the HT-A9 was having audio dropout issues, so you may want to research that further too before making a purchase decision?

https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D54O00007AcFZJSA3/hta9-dropouts

Thanks for posting both of these, super helpful. The issue is that almost all of my Blu-Ray collection is DTS-HD or up, so even if Sonos rates slightly higher, I’m missing out on a whole realm by not putting everything up on Craigslist and moving on. 

If you set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM, you can get Multichannel PCM audio from all of your DTS-HD Master Audio encoded discs which sounds just as good.

That only works if you’re using eARC right? I have an Arc but my current TV doesn’t have eARC

Yes, eARC is required for Multichannel PCM audio. But eARC is also required for DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS:X too. Without eARC, you are limited to lossy DTS Digital Surround (which Sonos supports) or Stereo PCM from DTS-encoded discs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

its not just sonos as bose have took a similar approach along with various tv brands

There is a good reason for this… and it isn’t because of “laziness”.

yeah and the reason is because customers asked for it thats the reason, so sonos decided to go half measure and add dts when they could have added the whole dts range which is where the laziness part comes from

They likely added DTS support because the patent expired, so there were no licensing issues/costs involved.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175103

Would also love to know your experiences with the Sony system - looking for something that can handle DTS-HD/Master

There is a helpful comparison and review here of the Sonos Arc vs the Sony HT-A9:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/tools/compare/sonos-arc-vs-sony-ht-a9/13760/27047

I did think the HT-A9 was having audio dropout issues, so you may want to research that further too before making a purchase decision?

Thanks for posting both of these, super helpful. The issue is that almost all of my Blu-Ray collection is DTS-HD or up, so even if Sonos rates slightly higher, I’m missing out on a whole realm by not putting everything up on Craigslist and moving on. 

If you set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM, you can get Multichannel PCM audio from all of your DTS-HD Master Audio encoded discs which sounds just as good.

That only works if you’re using eARC right? I have an Arc but my current TV doesn’t have eARC

Userlevel 7

If you’re luck is like mine, whats the betting that Sonos go onto support those codecs just after your decision to move on too.. ha ha 😀

…but yes if your Blu-ray collection is the driving force right now, I guess there’s no point waiting and missing out on the way you prefer to watch/listen to your collection. Hope it all pans out for you.👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

many blurays only have dts hd or dts x as an audio option and blu rays are of course the best way to watch movies for the quality so this is why it is important to atleast some of us out there who would like to have both best picture and audio possible to them

I think you are perhaps referring to the older Blu-ray movies, these days they appear mainly to have a Dolby Digital TrueHD (w or w/o Atmos) audio track, which the Arc/Beam g2 will happily play.

That said, I too would like the option to make a ‘one-off’ payment for the DTS HQ/X codecs to be added which then help to cover any development/licensing costs.

I started amassing my blu-ray collection at the start of the pandemic.  I have (happily) invested a lot and probably will hit about 1,000 titles by the end of 2022.  Some people blow money on cars and vacations, for me its been blu-rays.😂.  Anyway, roughly 60% of my movies are either DTS-HD or DTS:X.  For more than a year now, in particular, my purchases have been mostly of new releases, meaning titles that up until now were not offered in blu-ray format.  While it’s true that newly produced movies distributed in the blu-ray format usually include dolby as the audio format, more often than not, existing titles that are newly released in the blu-ray format include DTS-HD as the audio format.  They just do.  And these existing titles are still a big part of the market for new blu-ray releases, which is apparent from sites like www.blu-ray.com.  That won’t be case forever, but that is the reality today.

I wrote that I will be picking up the HT-A9 to compare with my Sonos next week but I just realized I am scheduled pick it up in a few days 🥳. I have plenty of DTS:X object based audio 4K UHD blu-ray's to test and compare between the two systems. And like you wrote there appear to be many others with lots of DTS:X/HD content as well.  With LCPM pass through on my Sonos I don't think I am hearing DTS:X object based audio but surely DTS and DTS: HD via LCPM pass through, which sounds pretty good on the Sonos. This is something I will be paying close attention to during the comparison of both systems in my own environment. Of course hoping to hear what .4 vs .2 can do for Dolby Atmos as well.

I have no idea why some major brands abandoned DTS. Sony OTOH seems to be promoting DTS right along side Dolby. Not sure if its a license expense thing for the other brands or maybe DTS doesn't want to proliferate so much in the consumer market? I've read Dolby Atmos is easier to compress for streaming purposes which I have found to sound very good with Sonos. I know streaming is getting better and better, but also all the major studios continue to produce plenty of physical discs globally with both DTS and Dolby.

Very interested in your views comparing between the ARC and the HT-A9, have you gone for the SA-SW5 as well?.

Hi @daryld1988 

Thanks for your post!

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

HI Corry,

Thanks for raising this issue. Any updates from the teams?

Hello,

I would assume if DTS-HD content is not interpreted by the Beam or the Arc, DTS core content should be played instead now that both are DTS compatible, shouldn’t it?

I think the codecs are backward compatible to DTS, but that’s also providing there’s nothing in between to stop the audio getting to the HT, like the TV for example, as some TV’s don’t allow pass-through of the DTS codec. I’m guessing this has ‘perhaps’ been done by TV manufacturers so that it encourages us to purchase their Blu-ray players to watch movies instead, but maybe I’m just being a little cynical.

Badge

Hello,

I would assume if DTS-HD content is not interpreted by the Beam or the Arc, DTS core content should be played instead now that both are DTS compatible, shouldn’t it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Why did you buy sonos knowing full well it doesn’t support these formats ? If you really wanted DTS-HD you could have got any number of sound bars or any number of receivers that do . The percentage of people still using physical disks or Plex is declining so why would a company spend millions implementing a format that a very small percentage use .  I know I’m harsh but here are some numbers I just looked up. 
Just in the US alone Netflix has almost 75 million subscribers . Units of UHD players sold last year is not even 500k . Then how many of those players will be used with a sonos arc or beam ? Very very small percentage . 

Not sure who you are referring to as “you” here. None of my posts indicate I was in any way misled or surprised to learn of the lack of DTS-HD and DTS:X support on my Arc after I bought it. In fact, for me, I only made the decision to buy the Arc once it was clear there was going to at least be support for LPCM.  As for UHD players sold last year, sure, it is a shrinking market.  But focusing only on last year sales fails to acknowledge the existing installed base of all the players still in use.  And maybe that is still a small portion of the Sonos customer base.  Got it.  But it certainly includes me.

Btw, your points, which are valid, were previously also raised by others, and yet Sonos reversed its decision to not provide any support for DTS by later adding support for basic DTS.  What changed?  Well, customers requested it.  Whether Sonos ever provides support for DTS-HD and DTS:X is obviously up to them.  Maybe it’s just not worth the cost to them.  Maybe they will add it.  But its hardly an unreasonable suggestion in terms of a feature request for a sound bar.

Badge

Why did you buy sonos knowing full well it doesn’t support these formats ? If you really wanted DTS-HD you could have got any number of sound bars or any number of receivers that do . The percentage of people still using physical disks or Plex is declining so why would a company spend millions implementing a format that a very small percentage use .  I know I’m harsh but here are some numbers I just looked up. 
Just in the US alone Netflix has almost 75 million subscribers . Units of UHD players sold last year is not even 500k . Then how many of those players will be used with a sonos arc or beam ? Very very small percentage . 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Thanks @Corry P!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @daryld1988 

Thanks for your post!

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

really appreciate that thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daryld1988 

Thanks for your post!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

its not just sonos as bose have took a similar approach along with various tv brands

yeah and the reason is because customers asked for it thats the reason, so sonos decided to go half measure and add dts when they could have added the whole dts range which is where the laziness part comes from

Just curious… if lossless DTS support is so important to you, why did you invest in a system that doesn’t support it?

at the time of purchasing i genuinely didnt know it was a thing that it was missing as i owned numerous av receivers before this and the issue was never there, i wanted a simpler setup with less running wires and cleaner setup so went for the sonos arc and ones and sub, system has been great for the most part but imo is let down by its lack of simple support for the formats mentioned

@skullc i own a samsung qn800a which has a passthrough option but i also have a hdfury vrroom device also which would mean the tv brand not supporting dts would not be an issue for me which is why the last stumbling block for me is sonos not supporting it

Same for me. I didn't know what I didn’t know at the time of purchase.  Now I know too much about DTS, DTS: HD and DTS: X and find myself with a lot of DTS content. However, the Sonos 5.1.2 has brought a lot of fun and entertainment to my family and me for the last year. It’s a great system with a few flaws e.g., only one HDMI port and no support for object-based DTS codecs. But Dolby Atmos is fantastic and prolific on the market to include streaming and once I figured out how to pass through LCPM for DTS content that can sound very, very good too. After all is said and done I unknowingly purchased a 4K OLED TV, Sonos and 4K UHD Blu-ray player 🥴 that don't support either DTS or DTS:X with each other. HA! Lessons learned. But I can't really complain. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just to be clear, the DTS and LPCM I can get from my Arc home theater sounds great.  It’s just a shame I still cant get the non-lossy DTS-HD or object oriented DTS:X as well.

@LBJ2: I was also surprised when Sony included DTS as a streaming format for some of its newer tvs.

FWIW putting together a few DTS: X Blu-rays so I can compare DTS: X on the HT-A9 with Sonos in a few days. I just bought a 4K UHD DTS: X Blu-ray called “Lone Survivor” w/ Mark Wahlberg and tried it out on the Sonos 5.1.2 via LCPM 7.1 pass through. This Blu-ray sounds terrific on the Sonos 5.1.2. Lots of room filling dynamic sound and some good helicopters demos throughout too.* It’s a bloody war movie with many F-Bombs so not for children to hear or see. Very curious how this will sound with true DTS: X on the HT-A9 compared to the Sonos 5.1.2. But if you want to rock your Sonos 5.1.2 with a $15 Blu-ray...“Lone Survivor” 👍🏼

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My lgb8 has pass through as well but 10 years ago I started buying digital on iTunes so dts isn't that much of an issue for me as dvds got given away 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just curious… if lossless DTS support is so important to you, why did you invest in a system that doesn’t support it?

at the time of purchasing i genuinely didnt know it was a thing that it was missing as i owned numerous av receivers before this and the issue was never there, i wanted a simpler setup with less running wires and cleaner setup so went for the sonos arc and ones and sub, system has been great for the most part but imo is let down by its lack of simple support for the formats mentioned

@skullc i own a samsung qn800a which has a passthrough option but i also have a hdfury vrroom device also which would mean the tv brand not supporting dts would not be an issue for me which is why the last stumbling block for me is sonos not supporting it

Userlevel 7

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Even if sonos do decide to support the full dts range you are then dependant on all tv manufacturers following suit to allow pass through, which is a stretch.

Most manufacturers will choose the largest part of the market which is dolby and streaming but I wish you all the luck

Userlevel 4
Badge

Userlevel 7