Answered

Can the new Arc add dialog focus and some width to my Sonos Amp (FL + FR) speaker setup?

• 15 May 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Amp hooked up to the HDMI ARC output of the TV and driving two large, high quality speakers. The quality is superb and there’s some good separation, but the dialog often gets overpowered by the ‘background’ music or sound effects, particularly in movies. It’s disappointing that Sonos have not implemented dialog level control in the AMP, when it seems  such an obvious feature for an Amp that is designed for Home Theatre but has no centre channel option. The ‘reduce loud sounds’ feature on the Apple TV helps to a certain degree, but it’s not a solution.

Would adding the new Arc soundbar to my setup help lift the dialog and maybe even provide the ability to manually increase the Dialog level? If it would, how would the Arc and AMP be setup, given there’s only one ARC output on the TV and no HDMI passthrough on either the AMP or Arc soundbar? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 May 2020, 09:49

comeonsonos,

The Arc handles all the front surround audio channels and the (wireless/wired) Amp maybe used for the rear audio channels. Note also that the amps other ‘Line’/‘LFE’ ports are disabled when used for the two rear channels. 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It is not possible to use Arc and AMP for the front speakers.

Thanks Buzz. So to be clear, you’re saying that the Arc could be used with the Amp but only for the rear channels? 

comeonsonos,

The Arc handles all the front surround audio channels and the (wireless/wired) Amp maybe used for the rear audio channels. Note also that the amps other ‘Line’/‘LFE’ ports are disabled when used for the two rear channels.